News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Fear

Started by MetroidMst, August 02, 2009, 06:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetroidMst

Quote from: DarkSamus on July 10, 2010, 12:32:44 AM
By now this must not be that far from completion.

Um, no. It would be a miracle if it was released within another year.

And thanks Squish. I don't actually know why the Rinkas are that palette as they have no red in them at all. They look like just like that, only purple. They only do that in MB's room for some reason, but I kind of like them so I have never bothered to get them "fixed."

Silver Skree

Fuck, I just watched that video, and I must say the first part with the sick glow palettes was my favorite by far. I wouldn't mind seeing a whole game Area taken up by that super-dark glowy-flashy aesthetic.

MetroidMst

I finally found my final suit pallete. I still might do a few tweaks to each one but overall they are done at least. Also, the return of everyone's favorite platform!

Quietus

Hiroshi Mishima

Loving that Suit palette very much!

MetroidMst

Updated first post with wall of pictures and some more info. Wall of pics will grow as I complete more areas of the hack.

VideoGeemer

That last message makes it sound like the hack is not yet completed, but there is a link to the patch in the first post. I have encountered a couple seriously game-breaking bugs very early in the game (as in, the first several rooms), and I'm not sure if this is because the game is still in beta, or if I may have a problem with my ROM or emulator.

VG

Quietus

It's an earlier version, and should be all but ignored for anything except general feel, as I suspect it has been massively updated since then.

MetroidMst

As Quietus said, that was an extremely early beta. As you can tell you cannot get to where most of those pics were taken. And no, the hack isn't completed yet. Sometime next year probably as there is still a lot of ASM to figure out, a new item to make and test, bosses to change, and a lot of level design left.

Overall, I'd say about %20-%30 of the hack is complete. I have a ways to go still. But it is nice to see you were hoping it was done. Now I have to put some more work into it and get things finished up...

VideoGeemer

Thanks, man. It looks really cool so far, the only particularly difficult thing being trying to jump off those ... guys, hehe, you'll know which guys I mean. The visual style is great all around IMO, and it was cool seeing the dark rooms lit up for a second when I got items.

And sorry if it seemed stupid of me to think it may have been completed. I just saw the download link there in post one and was like "Why haven't I heard about this one yet? Why is nobody reviewing it at the end of the thread?" :)

VG

MetroidMst

[spoiler=Platform Enemies]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91-GOhUbyns[/spoiler]

Due to my beta testers nagging and complaining I did a little tweaking with the numbers in the Hiru's thingy and got this result, which is definitely easier than how fast they moved before. So hopefully it doesn't strike some people as rediculously hard and just poses some challenge.

Quietus

I recall the difficulty coming from them moving, and you being damaged by it, that was the issue, not actually landing on them in itself. :O_o:

MetroidMst

I must not have understood exactly right then... I will look into making them harmless now. Either way though, being slower movers helps it I think.

VideoGeemer

MetroidMst, that's an awesome change there. :)

As for the othger comment, yes, they do hurt you when they shoot up into the air, but even after you landed on them before, you had to press jump at just the right time, because the enemies would drop fast enough for Samus to lose her footing, and therefore not always be able to jump. I'm not sure if they needed to be quite as slow as this new version, but if that's what it takes for you to be able to land on them and jump off, then I'm all for it. :)

VG

MetroidMst

Slower Hirus make the game easier to play, so they will be that slow. I don't want a terribly difficult hack, just a fun one that has some challenging areas to it.

On another note: [spoiler=Mario?][/spoiler]

Think something like this would look good in Fear? I had completed a whole tileset and decided it is crap, except for what you see above. Comments and concerns are welcome to this begining of a new tileset. Now I just need the underground music to go with it...

FYI: That is all BG.

VideoGeemer

Quote from: MetroidMst on September 16, 2010, 11:49:35 PM
Think something like this would look good in Fear?

I don't know. It's kinda hard to tell just what you're looking at. It appears to be clouds or maybe really rugged rocks, with a bunch of bushes growing out of blackness leading up to a clearing, then a huge thing behind them, and then, strangely, more bushes growing out of the blackness above (and in front of) it. At first I saw those as treetops, which made it even more confusing, hehe.

VG

MetroidMst

The blackness is actually blue, and is supposed to be a plant farther behind the green Mario bushes and rockes at the bottom, but close enough they cover the giant pillar of whatever behind them. I am trying to make the BG look like it has two or three layers before I even put anything in layer 1. Trying to add some depth and all that.

Although I have to redo the tileset, as only the BG has looked good to me, the foreground tiles I pulled from other SM tilesets look like crap with it, so I'm either going to try different SM tiles or find some more classic Mario Bros 3 tiles to fill the rest in. I don't know which I would prefer at this point in time.

VideoGeemer

Quote from: MetroidMst on September 17, 2010, 04:10:34 PM
The blackness is actually blue, and is supposed to be a plant farther behind the green Mario bushes and rockes at the bottom, but close enough they cover the giant pillar of whatever behind them.

Well, I can see that. I think it's just that the green patches look out-of-place, kinda pasted on there. Other than that, it looks pretty cool IMO.

VG

Scyzer

I can see it now (the dark blue plant), but usually with backgrounds, the "far back one color" objects are only very partly shown, while you've got most of the BG taken up by it, so it's confusing as to what it actually was.

MetroidMst

So I finally have finished another tileset. Much thanks to mister Kennon for his awesome tileset uploads!

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=In Action]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAVEJPLRMDU[/spoiler]

Tyjet66

Yonowaaru

Looks real nice, I like the contrast between the temple and the cave!

MetroidMst

Quote from: Yonowaaru on September 29, 2010, 10:40:32 AM
Looks real nice, I like the contrast between the temple and the cave!
You just gave me a name for the sub map! I will try to remember to credit you and if I don't remind me.

Other news: Lime juice is acidic.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

And for those who haven't seen it.
[spoiler=Speed Burns]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCZfcRw1Fe4[/spoiler]

VideoGeemer

Wow. This is looking great, man. :D

DSO

I think you should try a darker green for the acid there. The palettes for that area seem to be awfully bright compared to how pretty much the rest we've seen of Fear is. I know you have other brighter areas too, but what I mean is... it just looks cartoony, like it would fit in Rainbow City. Meanwhile Samus is all dark and awesome looking like she belongs in a Grime style area instead.