News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Escape2

Started by FullOfFail, May 26, 2014, 08:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullOfFail

Super Metroid Escape2

Author: Hiroishi [?!]
Category: Full Hack
unheadered

Description: Here is a level hack for Super Metroid which changes the levels and colors of the game. The read-me documents included are in Japanese which gives the premise of the game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download Version 1.9
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Previous Links~
Download Fixed Version 1.8
Video Example (Japanese)
Download Link (Japanese)
Download Link (English)

FPzero

Well I started playing and was enjoying myself when I entered a room in the Nature Caves and it exploded into a mess of tiles.  The patch only works on unheadered so I have no clue what went wrong here.

edit: Looked in SMILE and as far as I can tell the door transition in question should work.  The room displays properly in SMILE but explodes even when I load the test rom.

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: FPzero on May 26, 2014, 11:02:43 PM
Well I started playing and was enjoying myself when I entered a room in the Nature Caves and it exploded into a mess of tiles.  The patch only works on unheadered so I have no clue what went wrong here.

edit: Looked in SMILE and as far as I can tell the door transition in question should work.  The room displays properly in SMILE but explodes even when I load the test rom.

Which emulator are you using? zsnes, or snes9x?

Edit: it works fine in snes9x, but crashes in zsnes. And 3 rooms I encountered did this, not just one. [spoiler]Also, all 3 were in Nature Caves. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Also, I'm loving this hack so far. A lot of exploration involved, but the aesthetics make it seem worth it. I like how Escape Sequence rooms are marked with an 'ES' on the Pause Screen map, letting you know which doors never open. I only have one complaint so far. In Nature Caves, there are just too many red RIO enemies, which gets kinda annoying.[/spoiler]

Retroo

[spoiler]planet spore spawn :D[/spoiler]
thanks for sharing this. I really like ceres! :yay:

FPzero

Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on May 27, 2014, 09:55:30 AM
Quote from: FPzero on May 26, 2014, 11:02:43 PM

Which emulator are you using? zsnes, or snes9x?

Edit: it works fine in snes9x, but crashes in zsnes. And 3 rooms I encountered did this, not just one. [spoiler]Also, all 3 were in Nature Caves. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Also, I'm loving this hack so far. A lot of exploration involved, but the aesthetics make it seem worth it. I like how Escape Sequence rooms are marked with an 'ES' on the Pause Screen map, letting you know which doors never open. I only have one complaint so far. In Nature Caves, there are just too many red RIO enemies, which gets kinda annoying.[/spoiler]
I was using ZSNES so I'll switch over and use snes9x.  Thanks!

jk16bit-palmy-

I want to know what code they made to get the "Item Get" thing to work and appear in the map. That would be nice to have in hacks!

DonnyDonovan

I downloaded snes9x so I could play this (always been a ZSNES user).  Anyway, I patched the ROM, started playing, and while escaping Ceres suddenly the emulator starting running at about 10x speed.  Now I can't find a way to slow it back down.  Did I accidentally hit something on my keyboard?  Is there a way to slow it back down?  It's not in turbo mode.  That makes it go even faster still. 

Retroo

M1CR0H4CK3R

It's the 2 keys to the right of 0 (zero) on a QWERTY keyboard. - for decrease frame rate, = for increase frame rate. But snes9x doesn't have settings to go at 1000% speed. I assume it might be an emulator issue. Which version are you using?
I'm using a 1.53 Test Build. It's the one at http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/testbuilds/snes9x_testbuild_22032014.zip

Edit: Fixed the link. Sorry about the confusion.

DonnyDonovan

Hmm.  Can't find a version of snes9x that will play nice with my machine.  1.53 won't load because it says some .dll file is missing.  1.52 works but has no sound because it says something about DirectX is missing.  I guess I'll skip this one unless there's a workaround to the problem of it not working on ZSNES. 

M1CR0H4CK3R

Try running the DirectX End User Runtime Web Installer and updating DirectX: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Edit: are you using a Mac?

DonnyDonovan

No.  It's a 3-year old cheapie PC I got mainly for gaming.

Edit:  The DirectX update solved the problem.  It actually even included the .dll updates such that the 1.53 version is now running flawlessly.  I'm giving this hack a shot.  It's fun so far. 

Szandor

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on June 01, 2014, 06:34:57 PM
1.53 won't load because it says some .dll file is missing.

There are two possibilities. One is that you're missing a C runtime DLL. The other is that you're missing a file from a DirectX install (like was mentioned above).

Why MS doesn't include all the previous DirectX runtime files in a fresh windows install is beyond me. Same as to why they don't distribute all their previous C runtimes in a new OS release, and/or provide the newer ones on Windows Update as an essential install. You'd think that they would make sure people would be able to run programs compiled with one of their flagship products without having to distribute extra stuff and go to extra lengths to make sure it works.

This has always confused me.

Kitsune_Phoenix

Microsoft stopped being smart when they made the decision to make Windows Vista (Windows 7 was more of an apology note than anything else), and have been getting worse ever since.

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: Hawntah on June 02, 2014, 01:27:08 AM
Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on June 01, 2014, 02:36:44 PMI'm using a 1.53 Test Build. It's the one at http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/testbuilds/snes9x_testbuild_03052013.zip
Just wondering, why aren't you using the newest test build version?

Oops, my bad. I linked him the wrong file. I have the latest one (3-22-2014).

DonnyDonovan

Whatever one I'm using it seems to be working now.  Hopefully it will continue to do so.

Edit:  Man this game is huge.  Lots of doubling back while exploring.  Will think I've found a promising lead only to find the way blocked or find it's just a missile.  I'm assuming I need to find a way to Kraid next.  Not asking for a hint yet. 

Scyzer

So far I've got 21 Missiles, 5 Supers, 2 ETs, Morph, Bombs, Charge. Had a lot of trouble finding where to go after getting to the Warp area, but it all opened up once I found the right way into the next area.

Regarding the broken rooms: It's caused by a positive Level Data pointer. You can change it to a negative pointer in SMILE to fix it, or use an emulator which takes positive/negative pointers and reads them accordingly anyway (some were mentioned above).

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: Scyzer on June 04, 2014, 05:07:35 AM
Regarding the broken rooms: It's caused by a positive Level Data pointer. You can change it to a negative pointer in SMILE to fix it, or use an emulator which takes positive/negative pointers and reads them accordingly anyway (some were mentioned above).
So, do we subtract the last 4 digits from FFFF, then add 1? Is that how to do it?

Edit: Just added 8000 to the pointer, and the room doesn't screw up, so I found my answer. :/

Smiley

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on June 04, 2014, 08:08:49 AM
I'd just add 8000.

You replied while I was editing my post. :heheh:

FullOfFail

Just checked RomHacking.net and it's up http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2069/

Might be worth seeing if he ever fixed it. There's a slight possibility he came and translated this page and fixed the bugs. Doubt it, but it happens.

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: FullOfFail on June 04, 2014, 03:14:54 PM
Just check RomHacking.net and it's up http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2069/

Might be worth seeing if he ever fixed it. There's a slight possibility he came and translated this page and fixed the bugs. Doubt it, but it happens.

Nope, the patches are identical. HxD told me so. :lol:

Edit: Attached is the fixed .ips file.

Edit2: It's unheadered.

Edit3: Updated the patch. The Secret Area Boss Room is fixed.

TAxxOUTBR3AKxx

I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. The non-linearity of the hack is something I'm treasuring the most. I've beaten Phantoon and Crocomire, and just recently nabbed Speed Boost. Randomly found Grapple as I've just been wall-jumping places I probably shouldn't have gone. Besides fixing those few rooms in Nature Caves (on ZSnes), there also seems to be a broken room to the far east of Nature Caves that leads to Water Maze:

Mid-transition the game freezes. The room opens properly in SMILE as well. Other than that, it's really been consuming my time.

Edit: Turns out you need to add 8000 to it's Level Data pointer as well. I'm assuming any room with issues loading needs this done.

Edit 2: I must be going in the most unconventional order....I JUST beat Spore Spawn after having all you can see in my HUD including Hi-Jump, Speed Booster, and Varia.

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: TAxxOUTBR3AKxx on June 05, 2014, 04:54:38 PM
I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. The non-linearity of the hack is something I'm treasuring the most. I've beaten Phantoon and Crocomire, and just recently nabbed Speed Boost. Randomly found Grapple as I've just been wall-jumping places I probably shouldn't have gone. Besides fixing those few rooms in Nature Caves (on ZSnes), there also seems to be a broken room to the far east of Nature Caves that leads to Water Maze:

Mid-transition the game freezes. The room opens properly in SMILE as well. Other than that, it's really been consuming my time.

Edit: Turns out you need to add 8000 to it's Level Data pointer as well. I'm assuming any room with issues loading needs this done.

Edit 2: I must be going in the most unconventional order....I JUST beat Spore Spawn after having all you can see in my HUD including Hi-Jump, Speed Booster, and Varia.

My .ips fixes that. I just checked.