News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on October 28, 2014, 02:19:51 AM
I have something special for next week...
NO!
Please NO!!!!
God damn it Sir.Vismund, don't do it with us!

Grimlock

This weeks room submissions call for a double decker helping of vanilla extract!  So for fun I figured why not drag these submissions through Photoshop and see what comes out.  This is an automated process patented by Adobe so I have no control as to the final product...

Jefe, betrayer of Blue:

After reviewing your submission I think I can speak for the masses, two words: shocked and dismayed, some are in denial... We just can't believe it:

[spoiler]

Don't worry everyone, I found a solution to help those in complete denial of this sudden and abrupt change of direction on the part of Jefe,  :<_<: the following should suppress the anxiety and panic attacks currently being experienced:

[spoiler]

Whew, I know, close one right...  You're welcome everyone...  :nod:

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mr Jordan:

Now that the crisis surrounding Jefe has been averted I can focus on your submission.  Complex analyses of this specimen reveals an abundance of two products: Safe, and Vanilla.  I therefore place this submission where all "safe" and "vanilla" rooms dwell:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

MetroidMst

And to think people doubted Grimlock was my only true challenger? YOU ALL DIDN'T RECOGNIZE IT BECAUSE YOU WERE WHORING YOURSELVES OUT TO TERRIBLE ROOMS.

[spoiler][spoiler=Jiffartalart]Dude. . . Get off the grass. The lonely pipe is obviously a subliminal message about the bong you were smoking when this room happened. I MEAN SERIOUSLY, THIS IS LIKE SPENDING ALL WEEK STUDYING FOR A MATH EXAM, GETTING TO CLASS AND REALIZING YOU ONLY HAD TO SIGN YOUR NAME TO PASS, AND YOU STILL SCREWED IT UP! The contrast in that sentence sums up quite fittingly the contrast between the Super Metroid rocks and the Rolling Stones. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SHELTER? My anaconda don't want none of that.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jordan (Not the country)]I need an Escape II somewhere far away, because all this blue is turning me into a jaded superhero without any powers. I THINK THE ROOM ITSELF IS TELLING YOU TO GET BENT, BECAUSE YOU DONE GOOFED SIR SLOPSALOT! Look at your CRE bridge! JUST LOOK AT THAT MONSTROSITY! No, it isn't the fact it exists, it is the fact that the bottom-most slope has the shading backwards because you flipped the tile. WHAT KIND OF NOOB MISTAKE IS THAT? (Insert complaints about lack of bubbles here.)[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Well there you go. FIX YOUR TERRIBLENESS AND FEEL FREE TO SHOW UP AT THE SKILLS TABLE ANY DAY NOW.

snarfblam

Well now... even though heffay's room could use some touching up, I like the desaturated purplish palette. But then, the intense blue is a pretty good take on it, too.

Cloud20

Quote from: Grimlock on October 28, 2014, 04:17:41 PM
This weeks room submissions call for a double decker helping of vanilla extract!  So for fun I figured why not drag these submissions through Photoshop and see what comes out.  This is an automated process patented by Adobe so I have no control as to the final product...

Jefe, betrayer of Blue:

After reviewing your submission I think I can speak for the masses, two words: shocked and dismayed, some are in denial... We just can't believe it:

[spoiler]

Don't worry everyone, I found a solution to help those in complete denial of this sudden and abrupt change of direction on the part of Jefe,  :<_<: the following should suppress the anxiety and panic attacks currently being experienced:

[spoiler]

Whew, I know, close one right...  You're welcome everyone...  :nod:

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mr Jordan:

Now that the crisis surrounding Jefe has been averted I can focus on your submission.  Complex analyses of this specimen reveals an abundance of two products: Safe, and Vanilla.  I therefore place this submission where all "safe" and "vanilla" rooms dwell:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Now the goal won't be to win Rotw anymore, but just see how Grimlock can have fun with some original Photoshop mashups  :lol:

Kte

Yeah, I love the work Grim!  :grin:
Anyways, I voted for jefe's room.  All that blue is just too much for me in Jordan's room, among other things.

DSO

[spoiler=Jiffrenchy]I like the crateria foreground palette, but the purple rocks don't properly fade/blend into the crateria. And those green bits on them, don't get me started. Except I already did, so I am now justified in telling you the.green.bits on them are.distractingly.ugly like a fat.walmart.shopper in spandex, they truly are the chavs of color and dumb.like.periodic.period.abuse.period. That aside, overall the room is mostly pleasant to the eyes.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Bjordan]Your room is decent, but I have a problem with the sky palette, it's just too neon. ONLY ANGRY RED SKIES ARE ALLOWED TO LOOK NEON, YOU SHOULD PASTEURIZE YOUR PALETTES TO MAKE MORE USE OF PASTEL. Also, you know what's cool? Not CRE bridges with slopes, no sir. The only proper way to do it is to have chozo hands creating an invisible bridge to walk on between them. You could've at least been considerate enough to give the bridge a pillar going down into the opening to somewhat visually justify it, but as is it just looks like an odd mechanical artifact that should not be. And not 'should not be' in the good, Cthulian sense either.[/spoiler]

Grimlock

Here's a "to be polished" Kraid room from my M1 hack in progress.  I figured I should give everyone an opportunity to rip one of mine apart after my recent Photoshop rampage  :grin:  :lol:

The flying bug creatures spawn from the mounds (just to give this room some context).  The difficulty level for this small area (and surrounding rooms) is set to murder, I'm actually going to tame it down some when I polish it up.

Metroid 1 8-bit NES

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

I MUST REMEDY GRIMLOCK'S CRIME AGAINST COLOUR!
BEHOLD:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Cloud20

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on November 02, 2014, 04:48:03 AM
I MUST REMEDY GRIMLOCK'S CRIME AGAINST COLOUR!
BEHOLD:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

You should stop taking LSD when you hack Vismund  :lol:

Lunaria

That looks pretty sweet, actually. With more tile variation I'd not mind playing an area in a hack with that sort of theme, it would certainly make the hack a bit more... unique.

Quietus

Vismund's reminds me of a load of Lego blocks. :yay:

Grimlock

Upon viewing Vismund's arsenal of color and sensing a very colorful demise I am forced to only one alternative....

You know what they say, if you can't beat em:

[spoiler]

JOIN EM!!!

[/spoiler]

Mon732

Is it me or has Vismund's image been rotated?

Grimlock

It might be your screen try pressing (Ctrl+Alt+Arrow Key) to fix the issue.  :wink:

Quietus

Grimlock

Jefes room got missed, it's an "L" shaped room with some platforms.

Jiffy

Oh, you rotated it back.  :cheers:

Vismund Cygnus

My bad, I didn't see it at all. Should be all sorted now, sorry about that Jif.  :^_^:

Quietus

Jefe for me this week.  It's just a well built vanilla room. :^_^:

SpoOkyMagician

@Grimlock: I like it. I feel like the blue on the left throws it off/shows incompleteness? I dunno. Overall, it looks great.
@Vismund: Winner! Because Colors. The only thing that could make this room better if it was a Tetris designed room. :D
@Jefe: I like it. Simply designed and to the point.

I like all three rooms. I already voted for Vismund though. (See comment.)

~ SpoOkyMagician

Grimlock

Quote from: SpoOkyMagician on November 05, 2014, 06:27:17 PM
@Grimlock: I like it. I feel like the blue on the left throws it off/shows incompleteness? I dunno.

Actually I didn't think about how that might look out of place in a "room of the week" submission.  It makes a lot more sense when you know what's in the next screen over, maybe I should have included it as part of the submission.

SpoOkyMagician

Yeah, I try to remember about transitions but I seemed to have forgot about that this time. I assume the room on the left is blue-ish with the tiles. You can never really tell so, I just guess/assume.

~ SpoOkyMagician