News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

The Metroid Construction Star Base Contest!

Started by MetroidMst, May 01, 2024, 04:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT-55J

It could go either way imo. You could count it as just a big save room, or you could count it as a hub or something else.

OmegaDragnet9

Thanks. Yeah, I've been wanting to add an area, but been balancing the pros and cons. I'm still gonna be well within the 60 room limit so I'm not sure why the 1 room would concern me. Lol

RT-55J

Yeah. I've made my first pass of the main areas of my hack and I'm at 40 rooms (minus elevators and saves). Even if I go all out on the endgame of my hack (I won't), I can't imagine hitting the upper room limit.

OmegaDragnet9

When I counted today that's about where I am (38-39 rooms once all the utility rooms are subtracted.)

Dinar87

Quote from: Metaquarius on May 02, 2024, 01:50:27 PM
holy shit a contest. CRUSHMENT INCOMING !

You're still active? I thought you cancelled X Fusion? There haven't been any new youtube uploads and your old videos have been take down.

RT-55J

Adobe revoked Meta's Photoshop license, so he's slowly been rebuilding the hack in GIMP. He's been rebuilding his power by making Y-Faster hacks, SNES fighting game improvements, Sailor Moon fangames, and Yandere Simulator fangames.

Your patience is appreciated. Please understand.

Metaquarius

RT-55J

Yeah. Crushment... by me. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Dinar87

Quote from: RT-55J on June 13, 2024, 12:22:23 PM
Adobe revoked Meta's Photoshop license, so he's slowly been rebuilding the hack in GIMP. He's been rebuilding his power by making Y-Faster hacks, SNES fighting game improvements, Sailor Moon fangames, and Yandere Simulator fangames.

Your patience is appreciated. Please understand.
Hey I use GIMP! I've used it for the whole development of XGA!  :grin:

Dinar87

MetroidMst

Reminder, this Sunday is the final day of the contest! Make sure to get your entries posted by or on Sunday June 30th!

RT-55J

I'm so excited to see what everybody else cooked up!

My hack is dangerously close to being fully playable from start to finish, and I can't wait to unleash it on this unsuspecting world.

The contest hype is in the air... I can feel it...

Ob

Super Asteroid

Samus takes a bounty on an asteroid, dead or alive.

Intro text:
[spoiler]Asteroids are a lottery for prospectors. They normally hope to find rare mineral deposits. This time, they found remnants of a Chozo asteroid ship. Their joy turned sour when they found active torizos that tore into the mining station.

With my experience, I was the first choice. The mission was to disable the torizo defenses and report back, hopefully with the ruins intact. I detected another ship on route to the asteroid.

They better not get in my way
.[/spoiler]

Super Asteroid is a short hack submitted for the Starbase Contest Summer 2024.
Features the premiere of the bomb launcher and barrel cannon to bounce bombs and become the bomb, respectively.
Additionally, several new mechanics were developed to make a very special final boss.

Starting equipment:
[spoiler]

• 1 Energy tank
  • Morphball
  • Charge beam
[/spoiler]

Mechanical changes:
[spoiler]

• Instant item pickups.
  • Energy/ammo drops are homing.
  • Respin, speedball, and speedkeep are enabled.
  • Fallspeed cap is slightly increased.
  • Gap clearing/grabbing.
[/spoiler]

Expected skills:
[spoiler]

• Walljumping
  • Dash jumping (using run speed for bigger jumps)
  • Shinesparking
[/spoiler]

Patch 1.05
Minor changes/fixes, progression is unchanged.
[spoiler]

• Removed two softlocks related to crumble and doorcap placement.
  • Vulnerabilities tweaked on side hoppers and botwoon.
  • A certain pair of bombable blocks were switched to the more common bombable tiles
  • Tiles repairs: Fixed a phase-shifting star, some shadows.

• The robot Cotton Candy no longer dissolves from falling too far.
    • A janky gate is now a little less janky.
    • Improved accuracy of several map tiles.
    • Removed hexmap 'plane' grid.
    • Removed ledge/gap snapping due to a lack of need paired with unforeseen janky collision interactions.
    [/spoiler]

Screenshots:
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Dinar87

Quote from: Ob on June 26, 2024, 09:54:56 AM
Super Asteroid

Samus takes a bounty on an asteroid, dead or alive.

Intro text:
[spoiler]Asteroids are a lottery for prospectors. They normally hope to find rare mineral deposits. This time, they found remnants of a Chozo asteroid ship. Their joy turned sour when they found active torizos that tore into the mining station.

With my experience, I was the first choice. The mission was to disable the torizo defenses and report back, hopefully with the ruins intact. I detected another ship on route to the asteroid.

They better not get in my way
.[/spoiler]

Super Asteroid is a short hack submitted for the Starbase Contest Summer 2024.
Features the premiere of the bomb launcher and barrel cannon to bounce bombs and become the bomb, respectively.
Additionally, several new mechanics were developed to make a very special final boss.

Starting equipment:
[spoiler]

• 1 Energy tank
  • Morphball
  • Charge beam
[/spoiler]

Mechanical changes:
[spoiler]

• Instant item pickups.
  • Energy/ammo drops are homing.
  • Respin, speedball, and speedkeep are enabled.
  • Fallspeed cap is slightly increased.
  • Gap clearing/grabbing.
[/spoiler]

Expected skills:
[spoiler]

• Walljumping
  • Dash jumping (using run speed for bigger jumps)
  • Shinesparking
[/spoiler]

Screenshots:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Looking spicy!  :razz:

starlightintheriver

METROID: SYMPHONY OF THE LIGHT

When a distress signal interrupts Samus's grocery trip, she immediately rushes to find the source. Haumea Station, a high-energy laboratory owned by Exelion, has fallen into disarray. Since the station was working on warp-drive technology, it's unlikely that the perpetrators would be either the Galactic Federation or the Space Pirates- it must be a new threat.

Made with SMART 1.19 as part of the MetConst Star Base contest. Major kudos to all the lovely folks of the Metconst discord, I couldn't have made this without them.

This is a vanilla difficulty hack, no special techniques required. It's a demo for a larger hack, which I'm going to be finishing over the next few months (tho i won't be working on it in July bc that's Artfight month).

[spoiler="Game screenshots"][/spoiler]

Mentlegen

Super Metroid Isolation

In an alternate universe
Samus arrives at a forgotten space station, floating through the depths of space, investigating a garbled electro-magnetic transmission. The signal originated in an area of deep space - such a transmission would take hundreds of years to reach any part of known galactic civilization, indicating an archaic and outdated form of transmission due to the advent of lightspeed communication and travel.

Upon arrival, samus discovers the station has a mind of its own...

W̵͉̤̙͓͚̑h̸̳̥̺̠̹̽͊͛̚͝͝ͅą̴̽͂̌̈́̄̔t̶̥̩̿̆͌͠ ̶̢̬̑̊̀́ḩ̷͖̥̏̆̃͛ą̵͖͉͖͇̠̇̊̂̓̈́̍p̵̧͙͎̻͔̙͝p̵̨̱̍̊̈́͛͘e̴͒̒́̆̄͝ͅn̶̦̞͎̓ĕ̴̝̣̯̈́̏̅͠d̷̡͈̲̖̑̅̆͜ ̸͈̲̙̪͑h̸̞̟́͌̂̀͠ë̴̤͙̭͒̈́̿͜r̵̛͉̗̈́͋͂̍͐e̴̱̬͚͒̽̎?̶̪̼́̚

Hack Created by Dewhi100 and Mentlegen/Radium

v1.01 fixes the menu pause crash bug

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Secret Agent Klunk

Quote from: Mentlegen on June 29, 2024, 02:49:05 PM
Super Metroid Desolation

In an alternate universe
Samus arrives at a forgotten space station, floating through the depths of space, investigating a garbled electro-magnetic transmission. The signal originated in an area of deep space - such a transmission would take hundreds of years to reach any part of known galactic civilization, indicating an archaic and outdated form of transmission due to the advent of lightspeed communication and travel.

W̵͉̤̙͓͚̑h̸̳̥̺̠̹̽͊͛̚͝͝ͅą̴̽͂̌̈́̄̔t̶̥̩̿̆͌͠ ̶̢̬̑̊̀́ḩ̷͖̥̏̆̃͛ą̵͖͉͖͇̠̇̊̂̓̈́̍p̵̧͙͎̻͔̙͝p̵̨̱̍̊̈́͛͘e̴͒̒́̆̄͝ͅn̶̦̞͎̓ĕ̴̝̣̯̈́̏̅͠d̷̡͈̲̖̑̅̆͜ ̸͈̲̙̪͑h̸̞̟́͌̂̀͠ë̴̤͙̭͒̈́̿͜r̵̛͉̗̈́͋͂̍͐e̴̱̬͚͒̽̎?̶̪̼́̚

Isn't there a ZM hack named Desolation? Also if this is an entry you are missing your patch link.

dewhi100

So true Klunk. What were they thinking? They better change this name ASAP.

OmegaDragnet9

Well crap, now I gotta change all the intro spritemaps for SUPER METROID: CROCOMIRE'S LAST STAND...

OmegaDragnet9

In all seriousness though, that looks tight. So many good looking hacks to play the next few weeks.

RT-55J

Mentlegen, you are hereby under arrest for violation of the Metroid Construction Trademark Act of 20X9. Come out with your hands up and submit yourself to GF Police Unit M501 so we can proceed with this investigation without anything *ahem* interesting happening. Capiche?

Mentlegen

Quote from: RT-55J on June 29, 2024, 03:20:56 PM
Mentlegen, you are hereby under arrest for violation of the Metroid Construction Trademark Act of 20X9. Come out with your hands up and submit yourself to GF Police Unit M501 so we can proceed with this investigation without anything *ahem* interesting happening. Capiche?

you'll never catch me alive

dewhi100

Infringe as much as you want. The more things you infringe, the more it makes your work "unique".

Side note: Hyper Diaper Mertodd: So Little Project  Rede-sub-scent-tality Snaxiel Christenag Edition will be releasing in 2032. So jot that down.

Remember kids, all it takes is one small tweak to turn "derivative" into "transformative", so crack open that landing site!

Croakomire

Flying by to deliver my entry...
Samus Wants Robot

Samus is trapped in The Hourglass, a robotic warship, with her new friend Robot.
Outmatch the pursuing guards, and get both of you to freedom!

A fast paced, flash game crossover hack
Themes: Escape, Hot/Cold, Time (Loosely)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Tomtroid

Quote from: Mentlegen on June 29, 2024, 02:49:05 PM
Super Metroid Isolation

In an alternate universe

Hack Created by Dewhi100 and Mentlegen/Radium

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I was going to play this and see how well this would go for the contest, but considering the game CRASHES whenever you pause the game to go to the map screen, I'd say that people won't get very far in playing this. Remember to fix bugs before releasing your hacks. Don't know if that's what everyone says, but...

Also, I was playing said hack using SNES9x.