News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Prime 4 vs. Hollow Knight Silk Song

Started by Dinar87, December 27, 2023, 07:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinar87

Both games have no release date, but the reason why Team Cherry is getting far more backlash is because they released multiple trailers over the years, said it was coming out in 2023 and then last minute cancelling that promise, showed footage of finished content at nintendo e3 2019.

By comparison, Nintendo hasn't shown anything which is better if you're not going to release something.

As for when Prime 4 will come out...probably alongside the "Switch 2" or whatever it ends up being called. Sales for the switch have been slowly decreasing over the years so you could make the argument that Nintendo would want to release a successor to reignite interest. Though as a counter argument, the switch is still doing very well sales wise so perhaps there's no real need to.

SpineShark

I think people expect more communication from an indie developer, even if it's just a tweet every few months. But there has been almost complete radio silence from Team Cherrry since the first Silksong trailer, which caused a bunch of people who get way too invested in the game to make crazy conspiracy theories like "Ohh Silksong is cancelled, Team Cherry took the money and ran!".
I don't think I've ever seen that kind of crazyness in the Metroid fanbase. Now do I think Silksong is cancelled? Ofcourse not. Do I think Team Cherry should post more updates? Yes. But I don't mind waiting, Prime 4 and Silksong will release once they're finished.

MetroidNerd#9001

I think that since Nintendo is a bigger company, they have a lot more experience dealing with hype around their games. They know that if the game is good enough, they can announce a game on the day they release it and still expect it to sell well and get good hype. The games they do hype up ahead of time, like Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, they're more controlled with what they reveal. People are hyped for them, but it doesn't create a toxic mass of impatient fans. They know that after the game is released, it will be good enough that it will have hype around it even a year later.

I think Team Cherry revealed too much too soon. The hype bubble around Hollow Knight was still pretty high, and the initial trailers they released made the game seem closer to being finished than it actually was. Combine that with Hollow Knight's louder fanbase compared to Metroid, and that just brews a recipe for disaster. Memes making fun of the community waiting for Silksong have become commonplace at this point, whereas Metroid's fanbase is seen more patiently waiting for the release. We get some jabs every time a Nintendo Direct says nothing about Prime 4, but it's nowhere near the level of Silksong fans.

Dinar87

Quote from: SpineShark on January 30, 2024, 01:52:32 PM
I think people expect more communication from an indie developer, even if it's just a tweet every few months. But there has been almost complete radio silence from Team Cherrry since the first Silksong trailer, which caused a bunch of people who get way too invested in the game to make crazy conspiracy theories like "Ohh Silksong is cancelled, Team Cherry took the money and ran!".
I don't think I've ever seen that kind of crazyness in the Metroid fanbase. Now do I think Silksong is cancelled? Ofcourse not. Do I think Team Cherry should post more updates? Yes. But I don't mind waiting, Prime 4 and Silksong will release once they're finished.

Yeah TC should've decided on either fullon radio silence, or proper communication. Stuff like the xbox e3 2021 trailer, saying it's coming out and then it's not, it's bad.

Dinar87

Quote from: MetroidNerd#9001 on January 30, 2024, 03:23:43 PM
I think that since Nintendo is a bigger company, they have a lot more experience dealing with hype around their games. They know that if the game is good enough, they can announce a game on the day they release it and still expect it to sell well and get good hype. The games they do hype up ahead of time, like Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, they're more controlled with what they reveal. People are hyped for them, but it doesn't create a toxic mass of impatient fans. They know that after the game is released, it will be good enough that it will have hype around it even a year later.

I think Team Cherry revealed too much too soon. The hype bubble around Hollow Knight was still pretty high, and the initial trailers they released made the game seem closer to being finished than it actually was. Combine that with Hollow Knight's louder fanbase compared to Metroid, and that just brews a recipe for disaster. Memes making fun of the community waiting for Silksong have become commonplace at this point, whereas Metroid's fanbase is seen more patiently waiting for the release. We get some jabs every time a Nintendo Direct says nothing about Prime 4, but it's nowhere near the level of Silksong fans.

Nintendo has also given us two great metroid games in the meantime-metroid dread and metroid prime remastered.