News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Super Junkoid

Started by P.Yoshi, August 21, 2023, 03:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H A M

Your wand changes color when you collect beams.

carl87

Ah. After getting Wall Kicks, the Space Jump broom appears each time I perform a wall kick. Additionally, I somehow can perform space jump as well. I guess that re-coloring the swimsuit has offset another value someplace. What am I doing wrong?

P.Yoshi

When importing a custom sprite to Super Junkoid, make sure this is toggled off in SpriteSomething. "Wallkicks" overwrite Screw Attack, and the game thinks you have screw attack when you acquire wall jump.

When changing the palette of a custom sprite, some values are hard-coded...

You must have the four green colors for the wand (and swimsuit), these palettes change with different beams.

The "visor" palette will make that color brighter in door transitions.

The gravity/varia change depending on if you have the "Purple Locket" or not.

If you wanted the swimsuit to be blue with any beam, you could just use her hair palette on it.

carl87

Thanks for the pointers, they have helped quite a bit. I'm thinking of diving in and creating more rooms, but from what I can tell, that seems like serious business, which I'm not sure if I'm ready to learn in depth.  Awesome hack, P.Yoshi!

carl87

Hello again! Thought I'd try and go ahead with making some new rooms for Super Junkoid- play around a little bit and see what happens. I still have no idea what I'm doing. I've researched and troubleshooted, but I'm still terrible at this. In SMART, I configured the proper rom, Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc, after patching with the Super Junkoid IPS file. I was able to navigate different rooms, and for testing, I changed a solid tile into a shot tile in CV BEDROOM SNOW, saved to rom, then tried to test it out in snes9x. The game softlocked after the intro sequence. I've tried this with sfc roms and smc roms with the same result. What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

OmegaDragnet9

Quote from: carl87 on February 29, 2024, 09:54:44 AM
Hello again! Thought I'd try and go ahead with making some new rooms for Super Junkoid- play around a little bit and see what happens. I still have no idea what I'm doing. I've researched and troubleshooted, but I'm still terrible at this. In SMART, I configured the proper rom, Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc, after patching with the Super Junkoid IPS file. I was able to navigate different rooms, and for testing, I changed a solid tile into a shot tile in CV BEDROOM SNOW, saved to rom, then tried to test it out in snes9x. The game softlocked after the intro sequence. I've tried this with sfc roms and smc roms with the same result. What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

That's doing everything the hard way.
There is a ton of documentation on Vanilla SM.
Nobody, except P.Yoshi really knows the ins and outs of Super  Junkoid.

While I see no harm in messing around with a private copy of Super Junkoid on your computer, it would be best to ask permission from the hack author before proceeding further or using assets from the hack (that's what I would do if I were trying to build a hack using another as a base.)

While you might glean some GFX and level layout in SMART (which isn't a bad thing from an educational perspective) it is notorious for not playing nice with any ROM that isn't Vanilla Super Metroid.

(I know a few folks who have expressed frustration migrating an old project to SMART.)

It's not my project, I can't speak for the author, but I personally would just learn from the documentation on metconst and try to develop something entirely new.

Project Base is the only hack I know of where the author intentionally wanted people to use the game as a base for their hack. And while there is very good info on that hack, it's really more SMILE RF friendly as there are some things that don't work well with SMART.

I hope that was useful.

H A M

Luckily I only replace Junko with Alice Margatroid from Touhou using SpriteSomething, change the music using ASM and do some ASM fixes while peeking the Super Junkoid .ips using IPS Peek.

carl87

Thanks guys for your quick responses. Your replies have cleared up a little of why I may be having trouble getting started. I have absolutely no intention of releasing or spreading around any project using assests which others have created. Who knows, maybe I'll never even get to the point of wanting to release something, but if that day came, of course I'd ask persmission of the original authors first. I don't mean to step on anyone's feet or do anything against the wishes of individual hack authors.

OmegaDragnet9

Quote from: carl87 on March 01, 2024, 12:22:37 AM
Thanks guys for your quick responses. Your replies have cleared up a little of why I may be having trouble getting started. I have absolutely no intention of releasing or spreading around any project using assests which others have created. Who knows, maybe I'll never even get to the point of wanting to release something, but if that day came, of course I'd ask persmission of the original authors first. I don't mean to step on anyone's feet or do anything against the wishes of individual hack authors.

All good, and you're welcome.  (I find I gotta go through those channels myself sometimes. Lol)
I think little by little you'll be amazed how much you'll pick up after a while. The folks on the metconst discord have really helped (and continue to help) me out a ton. I always love to see new folks getting into the hobby too. Hope you keep at it.

carl87

So, after tinkering around with Super Junkoid for awhile, I've decided to take your advice and try my own hack. There are conceptual ideas but no guarantee of success. If anything comes of it, I'll update you guys later in another post. Thanks P.Yoshi, Omega, and Ham!

H A M

Quote from: H A M on February 29, 2024, 07:05:15 PM
Luckily I only replace Junko with Alice Margatroid from Touhou using SpriteSomething, change the music using ASM and do some ASM fixes while peeking the Super Junkoid .ips using IPS Peek.
Also I forgot to mention that I added [spoiler]Barf Kraid, Bleh Phantoon and Barf Draygon[/spoiler] in my modified version of Super Junkoid.

Lunaria

It was a very nice hack, it's neat to see something so cool come out that also have a more sensible difficulty level.

Still though... 4036 ?

I assume it's for some large meta puzzle or easter egg, but I wasn't really that into it in Environmental Station Alpha, so I'll leave it to someone else. It got me curious, but no one else seem to have posted about it.

Lunaria

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. I don't really keep up much with speedrunning.

H A M

Jadestar

Amazing hack, finished with 100% in 5 hours. Honestly i wish it was 2 or 3x longer or there's a sequel. Really good. This should be used as a base to make others..preferably also longer!!!

RT-55J

I made a 1:8 scale map of this hack in the style of danidub and ambureon:

[spoiler=The Map][/spoiler]

Like all my maps, it's also available on my website.

Su

this is the best metroidvania i have ever played.

a couple of issues:

- the middle transition between outskirts and ice has no map tile, as does the goat room
- defeating shaktool left a bit behind that continually respawned
- i kept getting confused by the contrast in one of the heated rooms and thought the girder was solid and unpassable

and as several people have already mentioned i had trouble with understanding the new shinespark mechanics. other than that though, this is absolutely phenomenal.

my wife enjoyed all the penguins greatly and says she wishes they were friendly.

GACKUROTAS

This was the first SM romhack I've completed after playing Super Metroid for over 15 years. The artwork was absolutely incredible, I can only imagine how much time went into making a romhack that pretty much uses none of the original SM assets. This felt like a game made with love. The difficulty level was just right for someone who is proficient at the vanilla game and hasn't gotten into challenge hacks or advanced speedrun tech. It took me about 6-8 hours to finish the game, with a decent bit of backtracking and getting lost until I got a good feel for how the map connects.