News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Can you combine multiple .ips patches for a game?

Started by henree, August 19, 2022, 12:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henree

I have been trying to use the varia randomizer custom sprite with metroid construction hacks. For example I wanted to play Hyper Metroid with Kirby as a sprite instead of Samus. But it does not work. Is it possible to combine two or more .ips patches to a .sfc file?

Metaquarius

Usually, it is not recommended to apply multiple patches to a .sfc file.
There is a good chance the tool you are using has overwritten part of Hyper Metroid/Project Base's code.
Varia randomizer is designed for vanilla Super Metroid first and foremost, it may work with older hacks however.

henree

Quote from: Metaquarius on August 19, 2022, 02:49:42 AM
Usually, it is not recommended to apply multiple patches to a .sfc file.
There is a good chance the tool you are using has overwritten part of Hyper Metroid/Project Base's code.
Varia randomizer is designed for vanilla Super Metroid first and foremost, it may work with older hacks however.

Your right I forgot the varia randomizer said vanilla Super Metroid. Is there any other way to load custom sprites when playing hacks?

Metaquarius

You can try this tool : https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,4979.msg65576.html
But there is no guarantee that will actually work because it uses a big chunk of ROM space, mainly for graphics.

henree

Quote from: Metaquarius on August 19, 2022, 11:32:34 AM
You can try this tool : https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,4979.msg65576.html
But there is no guarantee that will actually work because it uses a big chunk of ROM space, mainly for graphics.
Tried that tool. Doesn't work with the majority of hacks. Only with Vanilla. I did try a dual suit .asm file. That works with early vanilla hacks pre 2012. I guess its do to the evolving complexity of the smile application.