News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

otherRotation

Started by BuggMann, July 31, 2022, 02:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuggMann

Okay, I think it's ready!

Alrighty, I think this is in pretty good shape, but let me know if anything is borked!

This is rotated Super Metroid, but rotated the other way!

ocesse

Thank you for creating this game.
It's impressive, you changed not only the scenarios, but also many enemies and their behavior, I really liked that, I even noticed that you changed the animation of the Power Bombs when you put one and before it explodes, well done.
I want to tell you that it was difficult for me to get out of the Grappling Beam area by the normal way after taking this item, I don't know if it would be easier to go back the way you came.
The Super Missile Elevator tube in Maridia sometimes corrupts the screen due to scrolling, just saving to a Save Station and reloading the game fixes this.
I really enjoyed playing your version of Super Metroid Rotation, especially Maridia's last Missile, damn, that was pretty hard to get :)

Sorry, I was helped by a frozen enemy.

BuggMann

Hey, thanks for playing! I have gone ahead and fixed that scroll issue, thanks for letting me know! and congrats on getting those missiles!

ironrusty

Great play! Proud to get 100% including Main Street. :)
My only issue in my playthrough was that the Kraid Quick Kill worked as expected, then the graphics started drifting.
Looks like Strotlog paved the way for it to be added to his romhackizer, and I just need to write some rando logic.

sbelmont85

BuggMann,

Hey, great hack, thank you!  I post a review on your hack page with some recommend improvements... of course they're all personal preference and maybe quality of life improvements (easy-mode) for non-veteran players.  I did find a way to get respin working without super missiles crashing using the Project Base moves_only.ips. Hope the other recommendations are helpful too!

UPDATED: Moved most of my review notes here, I thinks it more for the forms

Looking forward to hopefully a release with more improvements.  I'm about 50% through the game currently and enjoying nicely with some additional QoL patches.  Like mfnomega mentioned above, using the otherRotation respin patch, the game crashed when using super missiles.  I was able to get respin working without crashing the game using other ips patches. 

I downloaded the Project Base (https://begrimed.com/pb/) PROJECT BASE 0.7.3 + EXTRAS archive and after patching otherRotation, applied the PB\extras\config_patches\moves_only.ips which enabled respin plus all the PB moves, like crouch+dash backjump spin, instant morph, and continue running on jump land, respin works without any issues now :) . Additionally I applied another patch next from the PB extra archive, floatier_physics.ips which significantly improved gameplay, higher jumps, easier to reach near impossible ledges, better ibj, better wall-jumps with crazy horizontal movements, and some in water moves improved - slight wall jump and ijb ability without gravity suit in water.

I'd recommend the original author to apply these patches as standard in future releases.  Additionally there were some speed-boost blocks that I haven't been able to get past like brinstars e-tank in water under the refill room that is accessed from under charge-beam with pb.  An idea, would be to patch the game so once you get speed-boosts you would have the ability to hold dash+down when pb is selected that gives a blue-suit, subtracting 1 pb and 1 e-tank.  While in blue-suit you could destroy speed-boost blocks and crouch again to get a shinespark to perform a shinespark maneuver in areas where there is no room to run and get one otherwise.  I'd also like to add the Easier Wall Jump by Benox50, but it's in asm and I don't know how to convert it to an ips patch.

A lot of the horizontal (in this hack) rooms when jumping I can't see the top ceiling of the room, recommend in future patches to allow for vertical room scrolling when jumping to see the ceiling. For example like in the brinstar room just below where the save and access to maridia with the green-gate is located, likewise in the very first green brinstar room entered from the elevator.

UPDATE #2:

I tested the entire game with the two additional patches, moves_only.ips and floatier_physics.ips, everything worked great... except there was one crash caused by the moves_only.ips when entering the last room just before mother brains room where the red living walls sections need to be missiled, when entering that room the screen goes black and the game freezes, music still playing.  I was able to proceed by loading the save just before with the regular  otherRotation hack, transitioning through to the next room, then making a save state and loading back in the ROM I applied the additional patches to.

Finished 99% Time 6:38

Having fun with your hack, great work and thanks again!

TobiMikami

I'm guessing this is supposed to be like a "challenge hack" where you might have to sequence break and stuff to proceed like a randomizer almost? It's an interesting concept from that point of view