News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Collaboration Contest

Started by OneOf99, September 05, 2020, 11:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneOf99

Collaboration Contest!
As you may know, there have not been many contests this year. Excluding the public contest run by Mentlegen, the last official contest was Barbequonst, run in October of 2019. This next contest has been a while in the making, and the contest board hopes you enjoy this one!

Often with these Metconst contests we see a mix of solo and team entries submitted. Finding a team can be tough, and sometimes having uneven team sizes creates a disparity in how big or complex contest entries can be. In order to try to remedy this problem for this contest, we've been discussing different ways to bring this to you.

Pairing Up:
Firstly, bear in mind that pairing up as suggested here is not required. Those who wish to pick their partners freely based on friendship and such can skip this step and wait for the theme to be announced. However, using this system is recommended if you want to try something new with someone new!

Please note: Although there are five metroid games being allowed for entry into this contest, the form will only be used for signing up for Metroid, Super Metroid, and Zero Mission. For Metroid II and Fusion you will have to find your own partner.

Upon clicking the link below, you will be asked a few questions about what game(s) you hack and what things you can bring to the table in a project. These are to allow pairings to be made based on preference, rather than an entirely random pairing system. This allows hackers of all kinds to enter - room designers, graphics designers, and assembly programmers can all join this contest. We will try to pair people into teams in order to satisfy the most marked tags, but we cannot guarantee that everyone will get all pairings they want.

Those who have submitted their information to the form will be contacted about a month later, being told who they will be paired with, with recommendations on how to plan ahead for the theme, which will be announced a week later. This contest has a tight schedule, so organise your time wisely.

Plan:
The contest is scheduled as follows:

Sun 5th September- Sat 19th September - Signup Time
Entrants will have from now until Saturday in September to fill out the form for the contest, in order to be automatically paired up with another contestant. See the section above on how this will work.

Sun 20th September - Sat 26th September - Pairing Time
The pairing form will close on Sunday. From then on, each contestant will be told who they have been paired with. This week is to give time for the entrants to contact each other and arrange time before the hack is started.

Sun 27th September - Sat 14th November - Contest Time
The theme will be announced on Sunday. From there, it's hacking time up until the deadline on Saturday in November.

Rules:
Don't forget the rules! (Insert the running gag about Mentlegen here.)
The rules go hand in hand with signing up to the contest as above. Only the following rules apply for now:

- Only hacks of NEStroid, Metroid II, Super Metroid, Metroid: Zero Mission, and Metroid: Fusion are allowed. (Reminder that the form linked above will only pair you for NEStroid, Super Metroid, and Zero Mission.)
- Only groups of 2 collaborators are allowed. (This may prove to be a problem when making pairings off the signing up form as above, but 2 hackers per hack makes this a balanced contest.)

More hack-specific rules and the scoring system will be made clear with the theme.

If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the thread/message OneOf99 over Discord on the Metconst Discord server or through PMs on this forum. Have fun, and be ready for more news by the dates in the plan. See you soon!

dewhi100

Hackmi

TheAnonymousUser

Friendly reminder that anyone still interested in the contest, and doesn't have a partner, should get their form submissions in now. Tomorrow's your last chance to sign up.

OneOf99

Partner sign up has been closed, pairs will be sent within the next few days before the contest theme is posted.

OneOf99

The Collaboration Contest... Starts now!
Now that everyone has hopefully gotten a pair, it is time to reveal the theme and judging criteria!

THEME: Opposites
Light and dark, hot and cold, yin and yang....
Your hack entry should somehow embody the theme of "opposites" be it through novel visual styles or integrated into the gameplay!
The themes above are fun, but everyone is encouraged to come up with their own creative combos to represent the theme.

RULES:
Hack must end with end credits. This is for all games. How you get to them is another matter entirely...
Hack must feature at least 3 major items. This means not expansion packs!
Hack must be completable from start to finish without glitches or super-duper-extra-advanced speedrunner strats (no TAS-ing!)
Hack must be a rom hack of one of the following games: Metroid (NES), Metroid II (GB), Super Metroid (SNES), Metroid Fusion (GBA), or Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA)

SCORING:
THEME: 10 points (How well does the hack represent Opposites?)
GAMEPLAY: 15 points (How fun is the hack?)
PRESENTATION: 10 points (Are the graphical and musical parts of the hack good?)
LEVEL DESIGN: 5 points (How well designed is the hack? Does it work with the chosen opposites?)
QUALITY CONTROL: 5 points (Does the hack feel polished and mostly bug-less?)
(Total: 45 per judge)

JUDGES:
Cardweaver
MetroidMST
Nodever
OneOf99
Spedimus
Snarf

Note:
If you did not sign up on the form for a partner, you can still enter the contest! As long as you submit before the final date (12:00 AM November 15, 2020 EST) then your entry will be eligible.
As always, if you have any questions contact OneOf99 (preferably on the Metconst discord)!

So... post hack!

OneOf99

Two weeks are left for the contest! It is not too late to start or to ask around on discord to find a partner!

Make sure to get out there and POST HACK!

dewhi100

Mentlegen and dewhi100 present:
A LINK BETWEEN HACKS
Solar Flare & Lunar Eclipse

In the spirit of collaboration, Mentlegen and dewhi100 thought, "what if playing a hack required collaboration?"
Therefore, we released TWO hacks, which require multiplayer to beat.
Both SOLAR FLARE and LUNAR ECLIPSE must be played together through Multitroid in order to complete them.
You've never seen anything like this before, and may never see it again.
Both hacks and the Read Me are attached below.

Miranda Gemini

Quote from: dewhi100 on November 11, 2020, 06:36:53 PM
Both SOLAR FLARE and LUNAR ECLIPSE must be played together through Multitroid in order to complete them.
Both hacks and the Read Me are attached below.[/center]
Looking forward to never playing this.
I understand the idea and think it's really interesting, but to me it misses the mark on what is fundamentally one of the best parts of Metroid, which is the part where it's single player. As much as this is neat, I hope this concept never takes off.
With that said I can't imagine anything beating this on theme for this contest.

Mentlegen

Quote from: Miranda Gemini on November 12, 2020, 12:03:26 AM
Both hacks and the Read Me are attached below.[/center]
I understand the idea and think it's really interesting, but to me it misses the mark on what is fundamentally one of the best parts of Metroid, which is the part where it's single player. As much as this is neat, I hope this concept never takes off.

I completely understand what you are saying and where you are coming from. I've always enjoyed metroid's single player world building atmosphere. I specifically made my hack easy to adapt into a single player experience as I knew not all would be on board with this co-op idea. I did however give my hack character and added a few aspects of continuity to make it new and fresh.

Anna

:whoa: I have never seen such an amazing thing I will play it

dewhi100

Same.

Mission accomplished.

I take it you wont be playing the sequel either, where the first player does nothing except authorize the other player to use their items.

RT-55J

I'm planning on playing this soon with my brother, who is less experienced with SM than me (we've multitroided before tho). Is one hack motably easier than the other, or should I just let my love of borgar king guide me?

dewhi100

SF is bigger and will have more to do.

elol

I will never be able to play these hacks  :nowai:, why can't they be played in single player ? :pwuh:, and I don't understand about multitroid. :?: :?: :?:

VacantShadeGames

Super neat concept, will definitely like to give this a try!
Great work!

Mentlegen

Solar flare version 1.1

-some bug fixes and improvements

dewhi100

Time is running out. Will you really let me and Mentle take this away uncontested?

Oi27

Collab between me and Moehr! Version 1.1 attached, patch for unheadered ROMs.
"Samus was sent to Starport Nexus to liberate a mysterious new specimen for use by the Federation, but when she arrives she finds the stations are already destroyed.
She must seek out the cause of the destruction and ensure that none of her quarry escape."

New features include:
-Magnets
-Tiles the solidify based on current equipment

MetroidNerd#9001

I know this is a teensy bit late, but here is a collab between myself and PhazonWebb16:

makazuwr32

Mentlegen and dewhi100 present:
A LINK BETWEEN HACKS
Solar Flare & Lunar Eclipse

In the spirit of collaboration, Mentlegen and dewhi100 thought, "what if playing a hack required collaboration?"
Therefore, we released TWO hacks, which require multiplayer to beat.
Both hacks and the Read Me are attached below.

technical question: is it possible to play these hacks on the same pc (via switching between each hack in its own app)?
Not sure how works Multitroid thus want to confirm this thing.

Anna

Qi27 the music is very uncomfortable  in super metroid pularity :cry: 

Oi27

Quote from: makazuwr32 on November 15, 2020, 04:08:17 AM
technical question: is it possible to play these hacks on the same pc (via switching between each hack in its own app)?
Not sure how works Multitroid thus want to confirm this thing.
Yeah you can do that; Multitroid has support for multiple local emulators. Follow the instructions on the Multitroid website and it should work for you.

OneOf99

The contest is now closed for entries, good luck to all contestants!

Paragon

Looking forward to trying these out! good luck to the entrants!