News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: YPX

Started by Jiffy, June 18, 2020, 10:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piush

I got it this morning , DonnyDonovan. I had been in that room but thought it was too hard. It did take me a lot of tries for those pipes to line up though. Good luck getting it.

WKRPinNJ

Quote from: ocesse on July 04, 2020, 09:21:54 PM
Quote from: WKRPinNJ on July 04, 2020, 01:47:58 PM
[spoiler]What comes after Botwoon? I got the prize and used it to go down the toilet. But I'm lost after hitting a bunch of dead ends. It feels like PBs are needed in every area of the game, and also feels like I'm missing some passage in Daridia (like to Draygon?). I found some hidden things, but those also resulted in dead ends.

Can someone help?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]In Daridia, in the big room with the Save Station and the red with green metroids, there is a vertical wall of speed booster blocks, go through them, kill the metroid, and go to the right room of two vertical screen, at the bottom of that room go to the left door and you will be in an horizontal room of 5 screen, in that room you will find a fake floor of spikes like in the original Super Metroid.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I believe I got past all that already. I went to the bottom of Daridia, all the way West to the elevator (using that long horizontal room below Draygon on the map), and up to the disconnected top 2nd half of Daridia. But I've reached a dead end again by Mama Turtle. I found some other passages in this area, but they also led to dead ends. I'm definitely missing a path to Draygon somewhere. The only other places to go were the area at the top of wrecked ship that requires more than the 15 SMs I have, or PB / spike areas in other regions that can't be passed.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

After a not unreasonable number of attempts I've made it down to the third and final part of the puzzle to get it but I have no idea how to get into a ball and maintain my boost/spark.

piush

DonnyDonovan, [spoiler]I ran along the long pipe when it lined up, got enough speed to boost , jumped off the wall , morphed and rolled through.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

[spoiler]Hmm.  Must be something in the technique.  I can relatively easily get enough speed to boost with the long pipe.  I could bounce back and forth between the walls all day.  But as soon as I go into a ball I immediately lose the charge.[/spoiler]

piush

[spoiler]When I did it , I did not have space jump. Perhaps turn it off, and I was attempting a mockball when the jump happened off the wall and morph. I just know it worked for me.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

Really appreciate the help.  So far I haven't been able to figure out how to maintain any type of charge in ball form but I'll keep messing around with it.  Using a different save I did go beat the game.  If there's a way to save the animals I didn't find it.  The final area and escape are very disappointing in scope and execution compared to the rest of the hack.  I would love to know what's behind the 100% door though.

ocesse

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on July 07, 2020, 10:28:20 PM
Really appreciate the help.  So far I haven't been able to figure out how to maintain any type of charge in ball form but I'll keep messing around with it.  Using a different save I did go beat the game.  If there's a way to save the animals I didn't find it.  The final area and escape are very disappointing in scope and execution compared to the rest of the hack.  I would love to know what's behind the 100% door though.

Here is a video for you

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFndYJn25uI[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

Again, must be a timing thing.  I still always lose my charge when I go down into the ball.  I'll watch the video more closely to see if I can figure out the timing.

Edit:  OK it seems to just be a matter of keeping pushing forward while pushing down and making sure Samus still has forward momentum and not just vertical momentum when you morph.  I was making that much harder than it is.  Sorry and thanks again!

piush

DonnyDonovan, That is great you got it. I have all upgrades and am around 83%. Kind of sad to hear about the escape part. Overall I have enjoyed this hack. It is a great effort on the authors part. It is also nice that the community has tried to help each other. I love Metroid Construction. We are all Super Metroid fans. I am going to try for the 100%.

DonnyDonovan

I'm at 71% but now that I have x-ray I'm going to go around on that save and mine items for a bit.  I doubt I'll get 100% as I'm sure a few are really tricky.  If you do it I'll be curious to know the reward as there seems to be one. 

ocesse

Quote from: WKRPinNJ on July 07, 2020, 06:28:40 PM
[spoiler]I believe I got past all that already. I went to the bottom of Daridia, all the way West to the elevator (using that long horizontal room below Draygon on the map), and up to the disconnected top 2nd half of Daridia. But I've reached a dead end again by Mama Turtle. I found some other passages in this area, but they also led to dead ends. I'm definitely missing a path to Draygon somewhere. The only other places to go were the area at the top of wrecked ship that requires more than the 15 SMs I have, or PB / spike areas in other regions that can't be passed.[/spoiler]
Here are my Daridia and Gorfair Maps until now:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I hope this helps you  :yay:

DonnyDonovan

How do I get to the northernmost room with the item icon above the upside down "U" formation and the room just to the west of that room?  Can't find a way.

piush

[spoiler]Not sure if this is what you mean but in the room of the one you refer to as the western room , shoot the ceiling of the structure in the room below that one.[/spoiler]

Steel Sparkle

Inside the 100% Room

[spoiler]A VERY TOUGH FIGHT against a unique gold torizo which leads into the escape sequence right after the fight. It's really just there for those who want a challenge. Nothing more.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

Interesting!  Thanks for the info.  I'm at 83% right now.  Really struggling to see how to get the missile pack in the room that's the entrance to tourist with the morph tunnel, the triangle-shaped ridge, and the speed blocks.  I've gotten really good at bouncing all over the place while charged and keeping the charge for as long as I need but once you introduce a morph tunnel into the equation I struggle with the control inputs.  I also play on a keyboard FWIW.     

piush

I got 100% today. I also got the same as Steel Sparkle in his post above. It is very satisfying to accomplish this goal. I am an average player and everything is doable. Some tricky puzzles. Great hack. [spoiler]https://ibb.co/8Ykq8Q9[/spoiler]

ocesse

How can I get this Missile pack?
I'm playing Super Metroid YPX v1.03

[spoiler]

it's in Steamed Tofu, in the passage above the room of Varia Suit.
[/spoiler]

Well, I found the answer to my question in smethack Wiki page:
https://tinyurl.com/yco9dlls

IPS file update history for Super Metroid YPX
Ver1.04 ... Fixed an issue where missiles could not be taken in the passage that fell into the room with the Varia Suit. Sorry, there are no missiles in this room. Bug fixes and other minor fixes.
Ver1.03 ... Bug fixes, terrain fixes
Ver1.02 ... Bug fixes

And here, in attachments, is Super Metroid YPX v1.04 (Unheadered)

Edited on July 19, 2020

Ver1.05 ...Correction of terrain and map, other minor fixes

Download for Super Metroid YPX v1.05 (Unheadered) is in attachments

piush

QuoteInteresting!  Thanks for the info.  I'm at 83% right now.  Really struggling to see how to get the missile pack in the room that's the entrance to tourist with the morph tunnel, the triangle-shaped ridge, and the speed blocks.  I've gotten really good at bouncing all over the place while charged and keeping the charge for as long as I need but once you introduce a morph tunnel into the equation I struggle with the control inputs.  I also play on a keyboard FWIW.

[spoiler]In that room you must run from right to left , get a charge , space jump off the wall and land like a mockball and roll over to the ridge of blocks and jump over them. It takes timing to do the jump properly.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

I still don't understand why like five of us are playing this.  It's risen to the level of one of my favorite hacks.  It is incredibly good.

ocesse

Yes, DonnyDonovan, YPX is addictive. I really like Daridia and the switch mechanics. I'm playing this for 2 weeks, this hack is amazing. This game deserves more attention. And thanks to YP for create it & to Jiffy for sharing it with Us.

Moehr

I don't post on the forums a ton but I started playing this hack, it seems fun but is hard, so I'm not far in.

But it has been a blast so far and has lots of cool ideas even in the first area.

ocesse

If anyone needs a map to collect the latest Items in this Super Metroid hack, here is the map for 100% of Items.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

In case imgur removes it, here it is also in the attachments.

andlabs

I'm stuck after Botwoon too.

[spoiler]Hack version 1.03. Current Daridia map:

I have Charge, Ice, Wave, Spazer, Varia, Bombs, Spring Ball, High Jump, and Speed Boost.

I have no idea what ocesse means by "In Daridia, in the big room with the Save Station and the red with green metroids." There are no other wave beam gates throughout the map that I can see, and I keep finding either Power Bomb-only parts or Speed Boost puzzles that shouldn't be necessary to progress according to the readme.[/spoiler]

Thanks!

ocesse

Quote from: andlabs on July 30, 2020, 05:52:35 PM
I'm stuck after Botwoon too.

[spoiler]Hack version 1.03. Current Daridia map:

I have Charge, Ice, Wave, Spazer, Varia, Bombs, Spring Ball, High Jump, and Speed Boost.

I have no idea what ocesse means by "In Daridia, in the big room with the Save Station and the red with green metroids." There are no other wave beam gates throughout the map that I can see, and I keep finding either Power Bomb-only parts or Speed Boost puzzles that shouldn't be necessary to progress according to the readme.[/spoiler]

Thanks!

Maybe is too late, but you need:

[spoiler]
Follow the red line in this room

[/spoiler]