News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: YPX

Started by Jiffy, June 18, 2020, 10:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jiffy

It's a hack from Japan, by the creator of YPR!
The following is a Google Translated version of the Readme.

[spoiler=Translated readme]Super Metroid YPX
      ver1.00  by YP

Thank you for downloading. Play with the Unheadered ROM patched.

----specification----
  1. The gravity of Samus is heavy.
  2. I can't jump.
  3. Re-rotation jump is possible.
  4. If you hit the needle, you will die instantly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Changed specifications of speed booster.
    Wall Jump is now possible while maintaining Speed Booster.
    The input grace period is short and it is very difficult, but the game can progress even if you can not do it.

6. In-game time and item percentage displayed on HUD.
  7. The number of items is the same as the original.
  8. Other

----difficulty----
  Those who are playing some of the hackroms will be able to clear it.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

----LINK----
Modified Super Metroid Wiki
https://smethack.f5.si/

Metroid Construction
http://www.metroidconstruction.com/index.php

----Patches----
Scyzer_map_fix_saveload
BlackFalconSkippingCeresV2.2
HUD Time and Percent Display
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Original readme]Super Metroid YPX
      ver1.00  by YP

ダウンロードありがとうございます。Unheadered ROMにパッチを当てて遊んでください。

----仕様----
1.サムスの重力が重くなっています。
2.ボムジャンプができません。
3.再回転ジャンプ可能。
4.針に当たると即死します!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.スピードブースターの仕様変更。
   Speed Boosterを維持したままWall Jumpが可能となりました。
   入力猶予が短く、とても難しいですが出来なくてもゲームは進行できます。

6.インゲームタイムとアイテムパーセンテージをHUDに表示。
7.アイテム数は原作通り。
8.その他

----難易度----
ハックロムをいくつか遊んでいる方ならクリアできると思います。

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

----LINK----
改造スーパーメトロイドWiki

Metroid Construction
http://www.metroidconstruction.com/index.php

----Patches----
Scyzer_map_fix_saveload
BlackFalconSkippingCeresV2.2
HUD Time and Percent Display[/spoiler]

Obviously the screenshots look like YPR. Hopefully this new installment would be just as good!
Screenshots of the hack provided by the creator:

e; Latest version is 1.03. YP is releasing updates for fixes, it seems.

Tomtroid

I think @MetroidMst will enjoy playing this and tearing his hair out since he played YPR. In addition, there might be Super Multitroid YPX in the future. Gonna take this hack for a spin now.

DonnyDonovan

If we're really lucky it might mean a future update to Y-Faster!

hayen

i'm the only one who can't access to this website ?

DonnyDonovan

So the death spikes are annoying but overall this isn't bad.  I've explored a good part of Brinstar, Norfair, and what I think is all of the wrecked ship.  But I seem to need either speed booster or power bombs to advance and can't find either despite much diligent searching.  I just keep looping around Norfair and running into dead ends or paths with enough spikes that they can't be what is intended (the intended path so far has been surprisingly easy for the most part).  Can anyone help?

Digital_Mantra

The path to speed is in [spoiler]northeast norfair (requires grapple).[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

Thanks I don't know how I missed that the map pretty much gave it away.

piush

I got missiles , supers , ice , bombs and grapple. Is there a heat run ?. I am stuck now.

DonnyDonovan

There is no heat run.  You get varia as your final reward for finishing [spoiler]wrecked ship, or whatever weird name it has.  If you haven't beaten a certain boss TWICE you still have work to do in there.  It's a small area and once you have ice you aren't far[/spoiler]

Also you should have charge beam as well by now, and I think maybe spring ball?

piush

Thank you DonnyDonovan. I got the varia suit. You saved me a lot of running around.

DonnyDonovan

So I'm exploring the Maridia area and finding the main gimmick in there super cool and something that should be exploited in more hacks.  Botwoon is hard.  This is really something.  Surprised it isn't generating more discussion. 

Digital_Mantra

Same tbh, the more I played the better it got with all the custom asm and interesting gimmicks.
Not much discussion for it on the discord either.
Could be cause YPR wasn't good, but this YP guy really found his footing with YPX.

DonnyDonovan

Well Draygon sure sucks balls with no PBs, almost no SMs, no gravity and the indestructible turret. 

piush

After getting the speed boost , am I supposed to head   to Maridia ?

DonnyDonovan

[spoiler]Yes, it's the only place I could find now open that wasn't before.  Maridia is fun to explore.  As I said above, Botwoon is hard, and I haven't been able to defeat Draygon yet.
If you manage it and have any good tips please share.[/spoiler]

Steel Sparkle

So far this game has been pretty fun!
looks really nice too.

piush

Help. Not sure what to do next.  [spoiler]I have bombs, missiles, super missiles , grapple, speed booster, springball , high jump boots, charge beam. I boosted into Maridia area from wrecked ship area, I know about the switch to change water physics and can get up beside save station. There is a way to go up from there but that is where i remain. Any help would be appreciated so I can progress.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

[spoiler]I know there's one place where it is required that you freeze/unfreeze enemies to climb a shaft.  Is that maybe where you are?[/spoiler]

piush

Yes. That's where I am.  [spoiler]but the shaft is watery and the crabs only go half way up as i freeze them and then they go across a wire to the other side and down the shaft again.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

Yeah I couldn't figure that one out either.  There's a different one with those slimy guys where you have to use charge+ice to freeze them and slowly climb.  That's the shaft I meant.  I also did finally beat Draygon after more than a few tries.

Edit:  So I've really liked this but it's starting to piss me off now.   I've come to a speedboost puzzle in Brinstar that's a great idea but I think I could try it 1000 times and not get the timing right.  This hack is starting to require way too much perfection in the second half and I'm a below-average player.  This might be where I get off.

G3

I just registered because I really REALLY liked this hack and I wanted to put my thoughts about it:
[spoiler]
At first I thought the idea of insta-death spikes was bad but I saw that the hack didn't revolve around it completely. I liked the water switches that were on some rooms of Maridia.

I didn't like speedbooster walljumping because of the precise input required to do it, thankfully nothing of the main path requires it from what I remember.

All the main path has a fair ammount of challenge and optional rooms have vast ammount of challenge. Some of the optional ones require some technical stuff that I didn't know you could pull off like passing throuhg solid enemies like the tin cans from Wrecked Ship or Maridia's green balls.

Overall a great experience, if you want the 100% you'll need a decent amount of skills.
[/spoiler]
Additionally may I ask if someone has 100% this? I'm stuck at 99% with 1 item missing and I believe I know where it is but can't figure out how to reach it.
[spoiler]In Steamed Tofu(Wrecked Ship) It's visible from a one-way room that connects the top room with the bowser room[/spoiler]

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: piush on June 26, 2020, 01:43:00 PM
Yes. That's where I am.  [spoiler]but the shaft is watery and the crabs only go half way up as i freeze them and then they go across a wire to the other side and down the shaft again.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]From the crab shaft go to the save point to the right of it instead of the crab shaft. Below the save point is another path, make sure the water is off. You will eventually come across those caterpillars that required charge beam to damage. Let them damage boost you to the top by going into morph ball, then letting them boop you upwards on the left side of the shaft. Make sure you are holding left. [/spoiler]

piush

Thank you Steel Sparkle for the help. You explained it perfect. I missed that part and I am back on track. I also want to thank DonnyDonovan for your help also. This is a great Metroid community.

Metaquarius

I keep hitting those death spikes in the Norfair area, which means constantly dying. The new physics aren't helping at all in this regard. If I had no save states, I clearly would have given up on this hack by now.
Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit.

DonnyDonovan

So where do I go next on the main path after getting power bombs?  Every seemingly open new path is spike-filled death that doesn't seem like it could be right.