News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Barbequonst Contest!

Started by OneOf99, October 01, 2019, 11:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneOf99

BARBEQUONST

Can you smell what Metconst is cooking? As you all know, Autumn is the international season of barbeque,
so on behalf of the "UUUUMMMMMM Committee", we challenge YOU to developing the ultimate gourmet hack or fangame!

WHAT'S ON THE MENU?
This contest is open to all supported games. This means that any metroid hack is acceptable.
Fangames are also acceptable, however, please limit yourself to metroid-like gameplay.

APPEAL TO APPETITE
The hack's areas or general theming must revolve around food or cooking. Maybe Samus has
to find the Varia Soup inside a kitchen, or find the Green Beam inside a turkey. Do your best to
make your entry into a most presentable meal through custom tilesets or graphics.

BALANCED DIET
To ensure a happy, healthy player, it's your goal as a chef to maintain a varied, well balanced
combination of items. As no one food group is more important than the rest, you must carefully
tweak and balance each item so as to make each item in your entry viable, start to finish.

JUDGING CRITERIA AND INFORMATION:
THEME: 10 points (Does the hack fit the theme?)
GAMEPLAY: 5 points (Is the hack fun to play?)
PRESENTATION: 5 points (Does the hack look and sound appealing?)
LEVEL DESIGN: 5 points (Are the hack's areas designed well?)
QUALITY CONTROL: 5 points (Does the hack contain bugs or permastucks?)

JUDGING METHODS
The dishes shall be rated by our expert committee members, as well as contestants. It is required for contestants to rate hacks, but self-rating is not allowed!

PRIZE
The winner is to be awarded with the "Sauce Stain" forum badge. Do you have what it takes to be Metconst's next Phazon Chef?

Entry date: October 1st - November 30th (Final day)
Judging date: November 30th - December 31st

liamnajor

Would my hack be disqualified if I made it specific to a customized emulator? It would still be playable on normal emulators, but without custom music.

mccad

Quote from: liamnajor on October 16, 2019, 04:52:56 AM
Would my hack be disqualified if I made it specific to a customized emulator? It would still be playable on normal emulators, but without custom music.

As long as you make it clear how you're intended to play the hack, I wouldn't have any objections, especially if it still functions fine on regular emulators.

MetroidMst

Will I win if I cook the competition?

elol

someone going to upload a hack?

MetroidNerd#9001

@Sapphron is currently working on a hack. Hopefully, he will finish it before the deadline.

Sapphron

SAMUS' TURKEY JOURNEY
My first experience ever with Metroid Advance Game Editor.
This hack is super short, and info about used patches/tilesets/bgs can be found in the readme.
It took me a total of ten hours with some help from the fantastic MAGConst community!
Without further ado, enjoy.
-Sapphy

Mentlegen

Quote from: Sapphron on November 30, 2019, 11:48:47 PM
SAMUS' TURKEY JOURNEY
This hack is super short, and info about used patches/tilesets/bgs can be found in the readme.
It took me a total of ten hours with some help from the fantastic MAGConst community!
-Sapphy

I was literally in the middle of commenting on how this might be another empty contest when you posted this lmao

liamnajor

Quote from: Sapphron on November 30, 2019, 11:48:47 PM
SAMUS' TURKEY JOURNEY
-Sapphy
you win by default...
I didn't make a hack because for more then 3/4ths of the work time, I was dealing with consistent and severe technical difficulties with my new Thinkpad e440. I didn't want to literally loose the contest again by rushing something out. I now wish I had, because it would at least have been a contest...

OneOf99

Official Judging Results

Well, after much deliberation and discussion between the judges, we have decided on a winner!
Congratulations to...
[spoiler]Sapphron!
...with the entry "Samus' Turkey Journey"![/spoiler]
We only got one entry and thus it has automatically been awarded the win. We'll be discussing within the committees about what to do with contests and what direction to move toward in the future.

You can find the official page for the winning hack here: http://www.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=524