News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

V I T A L I T Y

Started by Digital_Mantra, September 16, 2019, 02:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brized

One of the all-time best SM hacks. Awesome story/atmosphere.

vsf3000

amazing hack.  helped me survive the winter storm that hit dallas recently lol

FV2112

What are the reskinned torizos supposed to be? They almost look like some kind of weird chozos almost cat-like faces...

RT-55J

Reload a save from the save station next to boss in Tac Lacora and you'll find a possible answer.

Qyzerynth

The hack that made me become a member here. Definitely a gem.

FV2112

Is there any maps available for this hack, sometimes it gets a little confusing to figure out where everything is. Definitley a bit more convoluted than vanilla Super, it almost reminds me of Samus Returns gameplay wise.

(Then again, my first impression playing SR was that it reminded me a lot of Eris, Redesign and other SM hacks)

FV2112

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on September 25, 2020, 11:57:17 PM

"Did you know there was a sequel to Super Metroid that was never released? You might tell me 'uhhh there WAS a sequel to Super Metroid, it's called Metroid Fusion.' Just hear me out, this was a COMPETLEY different animal from Metroid Fusion. From what little information I could dredge up on the internet about this cancelled sequel, it was originally supposed to be released in October of 1995 for the Super Nintendo, it was going to be using the same exact engine as Super Metroid, and most interestingly, despite being advertised as "Metroid 4" in the catalouges, the name "Metroid" appears nowhere in the title....Instead, the game was simply known as "Vitality" (stylized as V I T A L I T Y). The small tidbits of info I could get from the vintage 90s catalogue (yeah, I love collecting those things) I saw it in said that "Samus Aran has been contracted to investigate a mysterious instillation on Planet Auriga. Dark secrets await..." That line immediately piqued my interest, as I have always believed that mystery and horror elements could work wonders with the exploration and item collecting aspect of Metroidvanias. Sadly, October 1995 came and went without the release of Vitality and the game fell into the memory hole of most people...

Of course, that's when I found out that one of my programmer friends actually beta tested the game back in '95...When I found that out, I almost crapped myself in excitement....God, I had so many questions to ask him...One night, me and this friend decided to have beer and burgers at one of my favorite local joints...When I asked him about his experience beta testing this game, he admitted to me that there were things about the game that were foggy to him, all he could remember was that the graphics looked better than Super Metroid by far, also he recalled "deformed Draygon clones", "weird looking Torizos", and a twist ending that he absolutley refused to share ANY details about, no matter how hard I pried....The only thing he told me about the ending was 'Theres a reason why Nintendo shelved Metroid Vitality, its by far one of the darkest games I have ever played, it could be traumatizing to younger players' And this was from a guy who's favorite game series is Silent Hill.

This of course, did not dissuade me from being curious about the game, wondering what it's actually like to play Vitality, and wondering if it was actually as scary as my friend said it was...Then COVID-19 hit and we all had to stay at home for our saftey, which to many of us translated into sitting on our butts playing video games all day...One day, when I was browsing some Metroid fan forums, I saw a post from a guy named DIGITAL MANTRA, who claimed that he found Vitality...."

Digital_Mantra

Yeah here's the latest map (big thanks to Ambureon for doing the cartography)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quote from: FV2112 on March 28, 2021, 10:24:10 AM
"Did you know there was a sequel to Super Metroid that was never released? You might tell me 'uhhh there WAS a sequel to Super Metroid, it's called Metroid Fusion.' Just hear me out, this was a COMPETLEY different animal from Metroid Fusion. From what little information I could dredge up on the internet about this cancelled sequel, it was originally supposed to be released in October of 1995 for the Super Nintendo, it was going to be using the same exact engine as Super Metroid, and most interestingly, despite being advertised as "Metroid 4" in the catalouges, the name "Metroid" appears nowhere in the title....Instead, the game was simply known as "Vitality" (stylized as V I T A L I T Y). The small tidbits of info I could get from the vintage 90s catalogue (yeah, I love collecting those things) I saw it in said that "Samus Aran has been contracted to investigate a mysterious instillation on Planet Auriga. Dark secrets await..." That line immediately piqued my interest, as I have always believed that mystery and horror elements could work wonders with the exploration and item collecting aspect of Metroidvanias. Sadly, October 1995 came and went without the release of Vitality and the game fell into the memory hole of most people...

Of course, that's when I found out that one of my programmer friends actually beta tested the game back in '95...When I found that out, I almost crapped myself in excitement....God, I had so many questions to ask him...One night, me and this friend decided to have beer and burgers at one of my favorite local joints...When I asked him about his experience beta testing this game, he admitted to me that there were things about the game that were foggy to him, all he could remember was that the graphics looked better than Super Metroid by far, also he recalled "deformed Draygon clones", "weird looking Torizos", and a twist ending that he absolutley refused to share ANY details about, no matter how hard I pried....The only thing he told me about the ending was 'Theres a reason why Nintendo shelved Metroid Vitality, its by far one of the darkest games I have ever played, it could be traumatizing to younger players' And this was from a guy who's favorite game series is Silent Hill.

This of course, did not dissuade me from being curious about the game, wondering what it's actually like to play Vitality, and wondering if it was actually as scary as my friend said it was...Then COVID-19 hit and we all had to stay at home for our saftey, which to many of us translated into sitting on our butts playing video games all day...One day, when I was browsing some Metroid fan forums, I saw a post from a guy named DIGITAL MANTRA, who claimed that he found Vitality...."

:lol:

FV2112

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on March 28, 2021, 10:40:36 AM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quote from: FV2112 on March 28, 2021, 10:24:10 AM

:lol:

Thank you so much ;)

Lol and I know my little writing prompt is stupid, but the creepy atmosphere of your hack gives me similar vibes to the creep factor of the NES Godzilla Creepypasta, probably the only really good lost media creepypasta outside of maybe Ben Drowned.

Ambureon

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on March 28, 2021, 10:40:36 AM

Oh yeah well big thanks to you for making a hack great enough to keep my ADHD in check long enough to create a complete map! :colonrightv:

TeamFissionASMR

This hack raises the bar for the whole SM scene, it's crazy

DonnyDonovan

Minor pet-peeve and and mini-mod here but y'all know there's a topic for this in the completed hacks category, right? 

Digital_Mantra

That's my bad, both threads have identical names  :lol:

Anna

i want some help i was try play super metroid vitality but looks like is sad may i ask why there is not have in this site full official map of super metroid vitality i am confused http://www.nordub.ca/ this map of super metroid vitality why is not there  when this official full map of this  super metroid vitality will be there? in this site i mean official map of super metroid vitality on this site

nodever2

Quote from: Anna on May 03, 2021, 10:17:32 AM
i want some help i was try play super metroid vitality but looks like is sad may i ask why there is not have in this site full official map of super metroid vitality i am confused http://www.nordub.ca/ this map of super metroid vitality why is not there  when this official full map of this  super metroid vitality will be there? in this site i mean official map of super metroid vitality on this site
the map was already posted in this thread, but here it is again:
[spoiler]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/497249548092309507/825740168988327996/VITALITY_CARTOGRAPHY.png[/spoiler]

Anna

nodever2 thank you so much for posting this map here  thanks for png :) now i will play the super metroid vitality without problems thank you so much :D

sbelmont85

I've played through V I T A L I T Y, it is truly amazing.  Difficulty is just right, and graphics and atmosphere are the best, thank you DM!

Thought I'd mention, I was able to apply the project base patch "moves_only.ips" from the project base archive -> extras -> config_patches on top of V I T A L I T Y, and playing now so far without any issues, completed most of Pendulu Moda and Tchornobog with testing on a second run through of this hack. Features tested and working, back flip, respin, no speed loss on jump land, etc... (I don't know what else to test that PB-moves adds)

patch "Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc" with "V I T A L I T Y.IPS" first, then patch on top of it with "moves_only.ips"

mfnomega

Hi all!  I'm new here, just dropping in to say thanks to Digital Mantra for an absolutely beautiful, atmospheric challenge.  This game is a work of art, and I love it.