News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Talk of the Day

Started by squishy_ichigo, May 15, 2009, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Falcon

Was browsing Youtube and got this:

Metroid/Dousk Mix: Phendranagram

Nothing that special.
The dude who made this mixed alot of things together, creating some really interesting tracks.
It's worth a few clicks if you ask me (though there are alot of people who mix songs like this).

Crashtour99

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on January 31, 2012, 02:13:36 PM
Unless the queen is one of Giger's infamous leg/arm creatures, maybe the question is what came first, the alien or the egg.

Depending on what you take as canon, the xenomorphs have very malleable DNA and morphology.  If they were created as bio weapons or something by the space jockeys they could easily gain the attributes of a hive system and become a self replicating species (in Aliens: Genocide rival hives would capture enemy xenomorphs and use them as hosts to bolster their numbers).

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Crashtour99 on January 31, 2012, 08:47:33 PM
Quote from: Digital_Mantra on January 31, 2012, 02:13:36 PM
Unless the queen is one of Giger's infamous leg/arm creatures, maybe the question is what came first, the alien or the egg.

Depending on what you take as canon, the xenomorphs have very malleable DNA and morphology.  If they were created as bio weapons or something by the space jockeys they could easily gain the attributes of a hive system and become a self replicating species (in Aliens: Genocide rival hives would capture enemy xenomorphs and use them as hosts to bolster their numbers).

Well what I take as canon is the quadrilogy, I was just pointing out that Alien and Prometheus both share the same original vision/director so I'm not dismissing the franchise.
When you mention that the xenomorphs have malleable DNA, that's very true, in alien 3 it was more of a dog like alien because that's what it hatched from.

squishy_ichigo

maaaaaan, Dman, you need to come around irc again, I miss you maaaaaaaaan. doet

all this forum lurking is cool, and its nice to have you around again, but I'm selfish :P

advancedpillow

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on January 31, 2012, 08:58:30 PM
in alien 3 it was more of a dog like alien because that's what it hatched from.
In the original version of Alien 3, the alien hatched from a bull (or a steer?). Which is why it charges like one, and less like a dog. I can't fathom why it was changed.
If you get the chance, I recommend that version. I think it's a much better film. Poor Alien 3 — it gets no respect.

Zhs2

I have a question for you, metterconsters. Can you think of a single situation in which it is polite to say "Who is this guy"? The only situations I can think of it being used in, it could be rephrased into something better, such as "Should I know this guy?" or the person could be talked to directly: "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name. What do you do for a living?" Plus, "Who is this guy?" implies condescension and seems inherently rude (unless, I suppose, it is used jokingly, but even in that context it wouldn't be strictly polite.) What do you all think?

iRundas

Quote from: Zhs2 on February 08, 2012, 05:38:34 PM
I have a question for you, metterconsters. Can you think of a single situation in which it is polite to say "Who is this guy"? The only situations I can think of it being used in, it could be rephrased into something better, such as "Should I know this guy?" or the person could be talked to directly: "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name. What do you do for a living?" Plus, "Who is this guy?" implies condescension and seems inherently rude (unless, I suppose, it is used jokingly, but even in that context it wouldn't be strictly polite.) What do you all think?

Dude if its not polite to ask of someones name, its pointless to proceed. What if someone asked you that in the same manner. Pointless anyway right, If someones gunna hate you for that just know they're stupid and thats what they think. Hell im thinking if it is polite to send this but...

ProjectXVIII

Quote from: iRundas on February 08, 2012, 06:10:42 PM
Quote from: Zhs2 on February 08, 2012, 05:38:34 PM

Dude if its not polite to ask of someones name, its pointless to proceed. What if someone asked you that in the same manner. Pointless anyway right, If someones gunna hate you for that just know they're stupid and thats what they think. Hell im thinking if it is polite to send this but...

I almost feel like you missed the entire point of his post. Almost.

Zhs2

Somehow, I don't quite think you're up to the task of posting meaningful content or at least reading the entire post before you respond. But, for the sake of argument, let's pretend you did and ask the obvious questions:

Would you say "Who is this guy" to someone's face? Would that not be incredibly rude anyway? Did you maybe realize that this sounds more like something you say behind someone's back to someone else and is that not rude as well? Does "Who is this guy" sound anything like "Who are you", and do you not think the latter could probably also be phrased better?

zephyrtronium

iRundas

Quote from: Zhs2 on February 08, 2012, 06:17:02 PM
Somehow, I don't quite think you're up to the task of posting meaningful content or at least reading the entire post before you respond. But, for the sake of argument, let's pretend you did and ask the obvious questions:

Would you say "Who is this guy" to someone's face? Would that not be incredibly rude anyway? Did you maybe realize that this sounds more like something you say behind someone's back to someone else and is that not rude as well? Does "Who is this guy" sound anything like "Who are you", and do you not think the latter could probably also be phrased better?

Okay let me rephrase, If someone did that inspite of being rude. id beat the fuck outta him. Why not? i dont know his intentions of recieving this info or if he's just so speaking to get his face torn the fuck off. That or let him get away with it... or say, hey you should rephrase that. (DING DING DING).. The only way the latter can be reprased is if he said sorry but (Your name here)  would have to get pass "omg did he just ask about me to some1 else". How to? again say sorry... If this still isnt what you mean, Fuck it. Go provoke this see for yourself. Most likely ignored.. I advise n0 more.

zephyrtronium

What the fuck did I just read.

ProjectXVIII

Quote from: iRundas on February 08, 2012, 07:03:32 PM
Quote from: Zhs2 on February 08, 2012, 06:17:02 PM

Okay let me rephrase, If someone did that inspite of being rude. id beat the fuck outta him. Why not? i dont know his intentions of recieving this info or if he's just so speaking to get his face torn the fuck off. That or let him get away with it... or say, hey you should rephrase that. (DING DING DING).. The only way the latter can be reprased is if he said sorry but (Your name here)  would have to get pass "omg did he just ask about me to some1 else". How to? again say sorry... If this still isnt what you mean, Fuck it. Go provoke this see for yourself. Most likely ignored.. I advise n0 more.

interdpth

The only thing you "beat the fuck out of" is the English language.

Digital_Mantra

"Who is this guy?" could deter from being impolite in how one would phrase it. With emphases on certain words or tones, it could be a compliment.
You could say "Who is this guy?" and it would come out as more of a 'where have you been all my life' figure of speech.
So the question is when would it be polite, I guess if you were in a situation where some guy presented something amazing to everyone.
Saying it then would almost immediately imply a compliment, in some cases regardless of how your tone was.

snarfblam

Fuck it. Go provoke this see for yourself. Most likely ignored.. I advise n0 more.
Who is this guy?

iRundas

Oh, When you see someone on a picture that you dont know.

Qactis

You're writing (A) book? Oh Gyawd

Quietus

I can't really imagine saying it to anybody directly, as it doesn't even make sense, since (if you were genuine), you'd be after the person's name, and "who is this guy?" wouldn't work.  The only time I can really see it being used would be to other people, when somebody has done something stupid or rude.

Smiley

ProjectXVIII

But what about Valentines Day 2012?

Quietus

Valentine's day can be great if you make the effort, but if you make an effort just because it's Valentine's Day, that's pretty naff.

Smiley