News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

M. Planets - NES Style Game

Started by VacantShadeGames, April 24, 2019, 07:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: VacantShadeGames on August 01, 2019, 01:40:07 AM
Nice! Cool to see, and very well performed!
I'd love to see what you can do on Planet Novus. It doesn't have a strict item progression, so there are several routing options. On top of that there are several possible skips and shortcuts throughout. However, I would recommend you get the latest version first, as there have been quite a few updates, especially to Novus.
At any rate, thanks for sharing your speedrun! :^_^:
No problem and im glad you enjoyed it.

VacantShadeGames

Here is a new update: Version 1.15
This version fixes some bugs, adds some more visual effects, and features some visual redesign of areas on Novus.
This is likely to be the last update for a while, as I want to focus my time on developing the new physics for later planets. But let me know if any major bugs appear, and I'll try to fix them.

VERSION 1.15 [8-9-19] - Bug Fixes + Improvements
+Fixed several Pause related issues
+Adjusted Kraid's projectiles' item drops
+Bosses no longer drop items in Strike Mode when defeated
+Added several visual effects
+Fixed an issue that caused enemies to be drawn at the incorrect depth
+Fixed a graphical error with Route Reviews
+Fixed an issue with Mission Report not properly displaying the Hard Difficulty setting
+Fixed an issue with Mission Report not properly displaying the full Seed if it has zeros at the front
+Adjusted some SFX
+Adjusted several audio tracks to loop more seamlessly
+Hopefully fixed an issue where Replays were overwriting each other
+Game window no longer centers itself when not Fullscreen
+Visually redesigned lower Green Brinstar on Planet Novus
+Redesigned the bridge through Tourian on Planet Novus

The links on the first post of this thread have the latest update available.

Tower

1 and 7/10 playtrough trough the game on novus
+i like 2 aditional bosses(finding them and defeating them while may be easy is really exciting)
-the reward for defeating them is lame(i was expecting mayby plasma beam or gravity suit or space jump or other upgrade rather then just 2 energy tanks)
+i like how you made it so player can chose where he wants to go(either to norfair or brinstar first)
-bombs are so overpowered that you dont realy need to go norfair first(really why would you go there?Every expansion that needs high jump can be gotten by creative use of ice beam and infinity bomb jumping)
+Upgrades from one area help in other(you can skip entirety of norfair with bombs and high jump can be used to traverse brinstar easier.)
-no new upgrades

EDIT:Does anyone has 100% map?

VacantShadeGames

Thanks for your feedback, its much appreciated!

I agree that bomb jumping is pretty easy, and I may go back and make some slight adjustments in that regard.
I'm glad you enjoyed the openness of the layout and item dependencies, I tried to put a lot of thought into that!  :^_^:

VacantShadeGames

It's update time! This one's packed with new features and improvements!

VERSION 1.20 [11/1/19] - MAJOR
[spoiler=Full Changelog]

Additions:
+Connect Feature  ( Windows Only )
    Host or join a server for multiplayer features!
    Sharing Options: Map , HP+Ammo , Items , Bosses
+New Visual Particle Effects  ( optional )
+New and expanded Pause Menu
+Option for setting Screen Scale
+Option for setting Music Volume

Improvements:
+Expanded Keyboard Control Customization
+Improved Gamepad Support
+Lava Visuals Improved
+Screw Attack Visuals Improved
+Randomizer now removes various potential soft locks
+Improved Camera Movement
+Crawling Enemies can no longer enter doorways
+Ridley Fireballs now imitate the FDS Version
+Super Ridley's HP was reduced
+Super Kraid now only drops rocks when at set HP Levels
+Improved Enemy Projectile Hit Boxes
+Altered Health Alarm to have variance
+Missile Capacity is now displayed
+Bomb Jumping requires more precision
+Health Pickups now give 20 from larger enemies
+Optimized Saving Slightly
+Improved Door Transition Speed

Fixes:
+Fixed a fatal crash when trying to draw debris
+Fixed Getting Stuck in Frozen Enemies
+Fixed Randomizer item weighting on Novus
+Fixed Samus Eaters absorbing fire and causing dinging   noise when screw attacked
+Fixed Enemy Animations while paused, frozen, hit, ect.
+Fixed Map Exploration sometimes going over 100 percent
+Fixed a glitch on 30fps when trying to shoot a door

Planet Changes:
+Zebeth: Enemy Damage increased to match original game
+Novus: Overhauled Layout of Kraid's Lair
+Novus: Redesigned a few rooms
+Novus: Visually redesigned Western Crateria
+Novus: Added Morph Jump Glitch

[/spoiler]

Some of the Highlights:
+ CONNECT [ beta ]
     This new feature brings multiplayer to the game! You can host or join a server and play co-op through either Planet, including Hard Difficulty and Randomized Modes! You can decide which features you want to share, such as map exploration, items, hp+ammo, and even bosses!
     Keep in mind this feature is still in [ beta ] and as such its vital you report any issues you experience while using it so it can be improved.
     Be sure to read the included documentation for details!

+ PARTICLE EFFECTS
     NEStroid looks better than ever with new subtle but immersive particle effects!

+ EXPANDED PAUSE MENU
     Place map markers, turn equipment on/off, and use a quick "respawn" option, just like NEStroid's up+A skip!

+NOVUS: KRAID LAIR REDESIGN
     Re-explore Kraid's Lair on Planet Novus, it's got a whole new layout! And another elevator!!

+TONS OF SMALL IMPROVEMENTS
     From fixing tiny glitches you didn't know were there, to rewriting entire systems like camera movement, lots of stuff is better!

The link for WINDOWS in the opening post of this thread has been updated.
In the next week, I'll be working on the HTML5 version and will update the link when it's been well tested.

Have fun!  :^_^:

Steel Sparkle

Cool to see an update for this. Feels like there hasn't been any major stuff lately but this is refreshing  :^_^:

VacantShadeGames

Just an announcement to let everyone know the HTML5 version is now up to date! ( Version 1.20 )

The Connect feature is still limited to Windows for now, but hopefully it will be possible to add it to HTML5 in the future.

As a side note, the game's saving method has been slightly optimized. But due to this change, it is recommended that you now always return to the title screen before closing the browser, to ensure that your progress is saved.

VacantShadeGames

Version Update Time!
Here's what's new in Version 1.21!

VERSION 1.21 [12/16/19] - Bug Fixes + Improvements
+Added Connect to HTML5
+LAN functionality implemented
+Fixed numerous Connect related issues
+Added Versus Mode to Connect
+Escape Timer now stops while paused
+Corrected some Enemy Vulnerabilities
+Fixed Infinite Missile Glitch
+Zebeth: Added Beam swapping on pause menu
+Novus: Minor design adjustments

A ton of bug fixes were done to the Connect feature. Any issues you come across should be small or few, so I'm considering Connect as no longer in Beta!

In addition, I've added a new experimental Versus Mode to Connect, so check it out and give some feedback if your feeling competitive!  :cool:
Also, the link to the HTML5 version has changed, so be sure to grab it on the top post of this thread.

A warning: Saves from older versions might have their Route Replays appear incorrect. Any new saves made on this version will be fine.

Enjoy!

Zumokufu

top tier fangame 10/10 would blister my thumb again. I haven't beaten it yet but I'm about 2 hours into planet novus and I'm enjoying the hell out of this. I hope you make a super metroid version I'd cry my guts out.

VacantShadeGames

Quote from: Zumokufu on December 17, 2019, 11:13:29 PM
top tier fangame 10/10 would blister my thumb again. I haven't beaten it yet but I'm about 2 hours into planet novus and I'm enjoying the hell out of this. I hope you make a super metroid version I'd cry my guts out.

Thanks so much for your support!  :^_^:
While there are lots of things I'd like to do with the project, my current goal is adding another planet. Though, it's a bit more than that, as it will be randomly generated from user designed rooms. It's still a ways off from release.

VacantShadeGames

Another small update has arrived!

VERSION 1.22 [1/15/20] - Bug Fixes + Improvements

+Fixed numerous Versus Mode related issues
+Mission Report shows more Connect Stats
+Updates are now detected automatically ( Windows )
+Yellow Missile Doors changed to purple
+Zebeth: Randomized Mode improved
+Novus: Minor design adjustments

This version is mostly just bug fixes and balancing to bring Versus Mode out of Beta, but there are also a number of other small improvements.
I'm still open to tweaking Versus Mode as I receive more feedback, so feel free to let me know what you think!

Assuming no major glitches surface, the next update should see the beta release of the new Room Studio, which will allow players to design rooms for the upcoming Planet Enigma!

zebeth

Hi, interesting project you have here. It's cool to see the amount of updates with more planned for the future.

The first couple minutes into Planet Novus I found a spot where you can damage boost to get missiles. I'm not sure if this is intended or known, or how early this is to get missiles. I've made a recording of it and uploaded it here:

https://webmshare.com/play/mKrgG

Also, I take it that the Connect feature is for LAN only, or does it work for netplay as well? If it doesn't, are there any plans for netplay in the future?

Good luck on future updates!

VacantShadeGames

Thanks for checking it out!

The "sequence break" you found is intended, but it's really just more of a short cut for speedruns, as you can get missiles normally if you go a little further out of the way. Still, cool that you figured it out! There's actually a way to get an E-Tank early as well, before leaving Crateria.

Connect works online, though it does require that the Host sets up Port Forwarding. The LAN feature should work, though its been reported to have some issues in Hamachi.

RT-55J

Finally got around to playing this. Planet Novus is excellent.

Since fangames are beyond the scope of the main site, I guess I'll have to leave these here.

Finished Planet Novus (normal mode) in 3:06:35 with 86%, then spent an hour mopping up the map for 100%.

Keep up the good work, whatever you're doing.

VacantShadeGames

Hey, thanks so much for the feedback! It means a lot to me to hear you enjoyed the game!  :^_^:

Though it has been several months since the last update, the project is by no means finished! The next update will include a room editor so players can design their own rooms for an upcoming "randomized" planet.

Glad you had fun!
And I'll keep working towards that update!  :wink:

VacantShadeGames

An exciting update is here!

VERSION 1.25 [6/8/20] - Bug Fixes + Improvements
[spoiler=Changelog]+Room Studio added
+Seed of the Month added
+Aspect Ratio options added
+Finer Volume Control added
+Improved 8-bit Audio
+Style Option for audio has been removed
+Saving and Loading improved
+Strike Mode now uses Save Points
+Strike Mode can now view Replays
+Metroids have been adjusted in several ways
+Enemies no longer damage during door transitions
+Novus: Super Ridley has less health and no longer causes body damage while grabbing
+Novus: Mother Brain deals less Damage with Hyper Beam and other adjustments
+Lots of minor bug fixes and improvements
+Lots of code reorganization[/spoiler]

The major highlight is the addition of the Room Studio! With it, you can design your own rooms that will be used in a randomly generated world.

Besides that, several new audio remixes were added to the game, and many other small improvements were made.

Enjoy!

VacantShadeGames

It's time for an update: Version 1.26 is here!

VERSION 1.26 [7/9/20] - Bug Fixes + Improvements
[spoiler=Changelog]

+New Features added to the Room Studio:
   +Playtest Feature
   +Undo Feature
   +Import and Export Palettes
   +Many other small improvements
+Fixed issues with keyboard input in the Room Studio
+Fixed a save issue with the Room Studio
+Fixed lots of minor issues with the Room Studio
+Strike Mode saves now display current Energy and Ammo
+Fixed issues with keyboard remapping
+Fixed a major crash with Connect Games
+Fixed a camera scrolling issue
+Rewrote Randomizer Logic
+Novus: Fixed an issue with Lava in Pipes

[/spoiler]

This updates brings a bunch of improvements and bug fixes to the recently released Room Studio! It's got several brand new features:
+ Playtest! Now you can play the rooms you design, to make sure everything works just how you want it to!
+ Undo! Make a mistake? No problem! Now you can revert changes with no trouble at all!
+ Palette Importing and Exporting! Came up with the perfect set of colors? Or maybe you need some inspiration? Now you can share your palettes easily with others, or try out theirs!

I hope you give it a try, and share your room designs!

Here's a sneak peek at what is coming next!
[spoiler]

An algorithm that generates randomized worlds from the Rooms players design!

[/spoiler]

latinking

Greetings! I recently discovered this gem and have been enjoying it thoroughly these last few days. I'm currently at the final boss of Planet Novus, and seeing as how most of the game is greatly intended to be faithful to its source material, I wanted to point out the following:

Players should be able to use their bombs to destroy the bombs dropped by the final boss, as this was the case in the SNES title. I only found out about this when I played Super Metroid on the Eshop.

Thank you for your awesome work on this! It's great being able to re-experience the feeling I had back when I played Metroid NES the first time.

VacantShadeGames

Hey, glad you enjoyed it! :^_^:
Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into adjusting that.

Here's a bit of an update on the project's current development:

Progress on the new random Enigma planet is coming along! It's goal is to be able to generate random worlds from user designed rooms. You can watch an example of what it can do so far in this early alpha test run:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/723869279

The actual release will be much improved, with separate areas for the different rooms, as well as some other new content!

DramaticMarquinh0svi

This fan game is amazing,improving the NEStroid,adding new bosses,adding 2 new planets,like 3 entire different games! This is my progress on Zebeth and Novus: Zebeth:101%,Novus:96%,i'ts weird that in planet novus it says that i got 100% map when i didn't,but this fan game is great and fun.

VacantShadeGames

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I just checked and it looks like the percentage value was being rounded instead of floored, so that's probably what caused the issue. Thanks for pointing this out!

DramaticMarquinh0svi

BTW Did you see someone with that much percent or more on Novus?

VacantShadeGames

I think a few people have managed 100% on their own before! Admittedly there are several items that are quite challenging to find, but I tried to mark them with hints where possible.

Dinar

How's development going? Are you close to finishing? =)

VacantShadeGames

It's going well!
It will be a long time before the project is completely "finished", as I plan on continuing to add new things to it over time. But as far as the third Planet I'm adding, Enigma, things are progressing nicely! You can use it to generate random worlds to explore. Lots of rooms have been designed, so there is a good amount of variety in the layouts.