News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

NESTroid hack question - Item retrieval

Started by TheRaven81, April 25, 2018, 09:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRaven81

Is it possible to make a hack where the name of the Item/Power Up that you pick up will appear briefly for a few seconds on the screen? This is kind of a "hack request", since I've no idea how to do it myself. Even though I downloaded Editroid, I couldn't figure out how to use it. there was no documentation that I could find.

Flower

There's of course always the opportunity to "hard hack" the letters into the game, as air tiles (you can walk through them). That's what is done in Metroid Rogue Dawn, and mzm for example.
Your specific request had to be done via assembly code, you could see how the message "time bomb set" in the original (after mother brain) is handled. Good luck!

DannyPlaysSomeGames

You can do what I did (if you expanded your rom) and add in the letters to the structure table and add a secret message behind the statue that explains the weapon, although it does require using up room and structure space:

Honestly, you should only do that if you're good at assembly coding or something, since I'm pretty sure that would require custom programming on free space that's already pretty limited.