News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Player's opinion.

Started by PHOSPHOTiDYL, January 18, 2018, 04:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHOSPHOTiDYL

Just wondering what direction I should take my hack in @ this point.

I'm perfectly fine with stripping samus of all abilities.
Start off with broken charge beam & morph roll.
Only major pickups are hud items as walljump, mockball, morphbomb, pseudoscrew, & maybe sba.

That's just me though...

Do you as the player looking to play a hack think I've done enough, or should I go even further.
It'll be you in the suit this time, not samus.

There are 3 stackable beams, then 3 hud selectable beams on the left side.
If I move the 3 stackable beams to the rite side & combine the equip list, I can add 3/5 hud beams.

Stackable beams are charge, power, & long beam.
Unstackable would be wave, ice, & spazer.

Are you going to feel too underpowered, should I do up to eight beams??
Wave, ice, spazer, plasma, hyper, name please, name please, name please???

Dr Ocelot

The best way to get feedback is to release a demo to playtesters. It's very hard to determine what it should be on paper. So far, though, it sounds pretty interesting!

PHOSPHOTiDYL

mccad

Quote from: PHOSPHOTiDYL on January 19, 2018, 12:32:15 AM
Moar beams. Cool names??

These are all pretty good, but if 'Hydra Suit' is just gravity suit, it would make more sense to call it 'Hydro Suit'

Quietus

...unless it gives you seven heads, and allows you to spit fireballs. :cool:

Mentlegen

i think the current layout is quite good, i'm interested on how you have three suits

PHOSPHOTiDYL

Quote from: mccad on January 19, 2018, 10:11:19 AM
These are all pretty good, but if 'Hydra Suit' is just gravity suit, it would make more sense to call it 'Hydro Suit'

Well it's gravity w/depth of liquid. Would make sense to call it "hydro" though.
Do you have any ideas for beam names?? I got ion beam so far.
I think hyper & up are just damage type beams. No special features.

Quote from: Quietus on January 19, 2018, 07:10:20 PM

OMG now I need a boss.

Quote from: Mentlegen on January 19, 2018, 11:15:35 PM
i think the current layout is quite good, i'm interested on how you have three suits

So equip screen hack in bank $82. Acid damage checks if suit is equipped in bank $90.
Needs it's own suit collection flash routine, preferably bank $91.
Also heat glow palette but there's no room in bank $8D w/o the projectile repoint...

You absolutely have to repoint the projectiles to the beginning of a bank lower than $C0. It's $C4C1 bytes...
$B8 is vanilla, there's one bank w/enemy gfx that doesn't cause any problems, there's a patch for both.

I can send it to you when it's 100%?
If you'd rather some type of "frost" suit for a colder area, I could do that.
Or a new suit for your own type of fx liquid...

Mentlegen

Quote from: PHOSPHOTiDYL on January 20, 2018, 02:53:14 AM
Quote from: mccad on January 19, 2018, 10:11:19 AM

Well it's gravity w/depth of liquid. Would make sense to call it "hydro" though.
Do you have any ideas for beam names?? I got ion beam so far.
I think hyper & up are just damage type beams. No special features.

Quote from: Quietus on January 19, 2018, 07:10:20 PM

OMG now I need a boss.

Quote from: Mentlegen on January 19, 2018, 11:15:35 PM

So equip screen hack in bank $82. Acid damage checks if suit is equipped in bank $90.
Needs it's own suit collection flash routine, preferably bank $91.
Also heat glow palette but there's no room in bank $8D w/o the projectile repoint...

You absolutely have to repoint the projectiles to the beginning of a bank lower than $C0. It's $C4C1 bytes...
$B8 is vanilla, there's one bank w/enemy gfx that doesn't cause any problems, there's a patch for both.

I can send it to you when it's 100%?
If you'd rather some type of "frost" suit for a colder area, I could do that.
Or a new suit for your own type of fx liquid...

I would like to take your offer. When you are finished, i'd like to see how i can make a new suit. I'd very much like a new one for a fog fx.

Vanya

Having a bunch of beams would only be interesting if they have a purpose.
I'd also suggest looking at the weapons in Contra, Megaman, or even R-type for inspiration.

My suggestions would be to keep the 4 basic beams; wave, ice, spazer, and plasma.
They have unique properties as is. Maybe make the spazer a little wider.
And add 4 "inspired by" beams:
Barrier - Hold fire button to create 4 energy orbs that reflect shots back at enemies like Jewelman's Jewel Satellite, and let go to fire the orbs like Woodman's Leaf Shield.
Flame - A simple flame thrower like the one in Contra III. That thing was always fun, and it is unique in that it is a short range weapon that can do low, but constant damage.
Reflect - The reflect beam from R-type. Fires beams that reflect off of most surfaces.
Splash - The splash beam from R-Type III. Fires a spread of beams that create an energy explosion at the point of impact for extra damage.

PHOSPHOTiDYL

Definitely don't want "novelty" beams.

I think I can do barrier using charge beam sba, at least the "let go to fire" part...
Having some trouble getting new beams on the hud though, so they'll have to be the stackable beam type II.
Just so I'm not spending too much time coding something & don't come out with anything.

I could put barrier with the ammo selection as it's own item.
HUD doesn't allow use of SBA w/power bombs rite now...

Vanya

If you do figure out how to add beams, just remember that to prevent a weapon from being a "novelty" they just need to have a unique utility apart from the others.