News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MSU1 Tutorial

Started by Mentlegen, July 08, 2017, 01:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentlegen

okay, I am, first and foremost, a composer and arranger. I have recently been interested in hacking and am working on my personal hack titled Super Metroid Radon. When I cam across the MSU 1 article i was ecstatic. However, i cannot seem to get any sort of success out of my attempts to apply the MSU patch. I follow the steps to the best of my ability, and I always turn up dry. I know this is a n00b sort of problem. I really need some help, as i have tried maybe six or seven times. A new set of clearer instructions would be helpful or maybe a tutorial since i have been having a hard time following the original post by Meta.

Help is much appreciated

Quietus

In fairness, I don't think it's just you. I tried to have a go to see if I could help you out, and I followed both Metaquarius's instructions and some I found elsewhere, and I didn't have any luck either. I initially got the black screen, then after some tinkering I got it to load, but it seemed to have the original music. I know this doesn't help, but it might make you feel a little better. :^_^:

Mentlegen

Ive done the import, and I hear music but there is no video. Why did the game start? I have not gone to step 5 yet? Step 5 says to go to the Emulation folder and do what? Step 6 says to copy manifest.bml from the zip and the pcm but there is no clarified destination. The last step 8 says run the game, but its already running ( which sfc file do i pick)

Mentlegen

Okay, finally got this to work. Metaq. does an okay job at explaining, but i think it could use some clarification.

I am going to expand on Metaq.'s instructions below.

1-Download the .zip from http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2393/ and extract it to a new folder on your desktop

2-Get the music files : you can either download the music pack at http://www.mediafire.com/download/euj8ewjv59d2022/SuperMetroidMSU1_Music.7z or make your own .pcm files with wav2msu. [tutorial below] DO NOT EXTRACT just place zipped file in your desktop folder

3-Patch a clean ROM with "supermetroid_msu1_emulator.ips" (your Super Metroid ROM must be the unheadered (JU) [!] - 3,072KB)
   Rename this rom to "supermetroid_msu1.sfc"

4-Make sure you have Higan v.94 and import your game into HIGAN's library (go to "Library" menu and "Import game" for example)

5-Go to %USERPROFILE%\Emulation\Super Famicom\[whatever your ROM's called].sfc folder. (%USERPROFILE% is your user profile folder, mine was something like this C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data)

Extract the music files mentioned in step 2 to this folder, there should be a total of 30 .pcm files

6-Go to the folder titled SuperMetroidMSU1 (from step 1 and step 3 when you patched the ROM) and copy the file named manifest.bml

7-Go back to %USERPROFILE%\Emulation\Super Famicom\[whatever your ROM's called].sfc folder and paste manifest.bml there. it should ask you if you want to replace the file. select yes.

manifest.bml should look like this:
unverified

cartridge region=NTSC
  rom name=program.rom size=0x300000
  ram name=save.ram size=0x2000
  map id=rom address=00-7f,80-ff:8000-ffff mask=0x8000
  map id=ram address=70-7f,f0-ff:0000-7fff

msu1
    rom name=msu1.msu size=0x0000
    map id=io address=00-3f,80-bf:2000-2007
    track number=1 name=supermetroid_msu1-1.pcm
    track number=2 name=supermetroid_msu1-2.pcm
    track number=3 name=supermetroid_msu1-3.pcm
    track number=4 name=supermetroid_msu1-4.pcm
    track number=5 name=supermetroid_msu1-5.pcm
    track number=6 name=supermetroid_msu1-6.pcm
    track number=7 name=supermetroid_msu1-7.pcm
    track number=8 name=supermetroid_msu1-8.pcm
    track number=9 name=supermetroid_msu1-9.pcm
    track number=10 name=supermetroid_msu1-10.pcm
    track number=11 name=supermetroid_msu1-11.pcm
    track number=12 name=supermetroid_msu1-12.pcm
    track number=13 name=supermetroid_msu1-13.pcm
    track number=14 name=supermetroid_msu1-14.pcm
    track number=15 name=supermetroid_msu1-15.pcm
    track number=16 name=supermetroid_msu1-16.pcm
    track number=17 name=supermetroid_msu1-17.pcm
    track number=18 name=supermetroid_msu1-18.pcm
    track number=19 name=supermetroid_msu1-19.pcm
    track number=20 name=supermetroid_msu1-20.pcm
    track number=21 name=supermetroid_msu1-21.pcm
    track number=22 name=supermetroid_msu1-22.pcm
    track number=23 name=supermetroid_msu1-23.pcm
    track number=24 name=supermetroid_msu1-24.pcm
    track number=25 name=supermetroid_msu1-25.pcm
    track number=26 name=supermetroid_msu1-26.pcm
    track number=27 name=supermetroid_msu1-27.pcm
    track number=28 name=supermetroid_msu1-28.pcm
    track number=29 name=supermetroid_msu1-29.pcm
    track number=30 name=supermetroid_msu1-30.pcm

information
  title: supermetroid_msu1

Steps 6 and 7 were the missing info in the original tutorial

8-You can now run your game

MAKING YOUR OWN AUDIO FILES
Audio files for use with the MSU-1 must be raw 44.1kHz stereo PCM files.

1-Convert your music files into WAV files first and put them in a folder ;

2-Download WAV2MSU http://helmet.kafuka.org/thepile/Wav2msu and copy the .exe into your folder ;

3-Create a new text file there and add one line for each WAV file :

wav2msu brinstar_vegetation_remix.wav -l 133274

> "brinstar_vegetation_remix.wav" is the name of your WAV file, the output file will be called "brinstar_vegetation_remix.pcm"
   > -l 133274 (optional) will set a loop point at sample location 133274 (you need an audio editor for that information)

4-Name your text file "create_pcm.bat" then double-clic on it.

5-Then be sure to rename the PCM files properly, as referenced in the manifest.bml.
For example, if your want your "brinstar_vegetation_remix" to replace the Green Brinstar song (duh), rename it "supermetroid_msu1-11.pcm". Track numbers are listed in the README.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion. PM me or reply with any questions i am happy to help!