News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Month - December 2016

Started by Jiffy, November 04, 2016, 03:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who made the Room of the Month?

Jefe962
1 (7.1%)
Digital_Mantra
13 (92.9%)
retroo
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Jiffy

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Startin' the week with this piece of work. Making a vanilla hack sure helps with mastering other tilesets. =)

Quietus

I like it, but I can't help but feel that the more I look at the top left-hand corner, the more it starts to look like it's melting. :whoa:

Retroo

That is a very good room Jefe and what Q said about the melting thing i think is very cool yes il ike it =))))_:. Have good dauy

Digital_Mantra

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler]
L1 [spoiler][/spoiler]
L2 [spoiler][/spoiler]
initial concept [spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

*links fixed, imgur sucks

Quietus

In a short break from my normal sense of decorum: Holy shit, that room is fantastic. :whoa:

Are we allowed to get our hopes up again, to believe you're creating another hack?

squishy_ichigo

Lush as always dman, can't say enough nice things about this room, so instead I'll say bad stuff like I usually do. The top right hand corner of the room (the corner vine bit) doesn't look anywhere near as polished as the rest of the room does, which makes it stand out in its mediocrity.

This reminds me of Ash Lake from Dark Souls. <3

obligatory 1000th post power-bomb special mention! I did it you guys!

LiquidDreams

Quote from: Quietus on November 07, 2016, 04:54:44 AM
Are we allowed to get our hopes up again, to believe you're creating another hack?
*Fingers crossed*

Daltone

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on November 07, 2016, 01:38:39 AM
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler]
L1 [spoiler][/spoiler]
L2 [spoiler][/spoiler]
initial concept [spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

*links fixed, imgur sucks
I rate it a 9 out of 11 because references

Vismund Cygnus

retroo won November's contest with what couyld technically be called a room:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

For the last month of 2016, we have 3 entries!
[spoiler=Jefe962][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Digital_Mantra][/spoiler]
[spoiler=retroo][/spoiler]
Can retroo claim back-to-back wins to round out the year? You decide, Metconst!

[spoiler=a personal rant.]
I apologise for not having updated this sooner. Unfortunately I've been rather busy the last month or so, and Room of the Month rates pretty low on my list of "things you need to get off your ass and do Vismund". For the record, I'd like to point out that although I seem to have been shoehorned into the role of RotM doer, I'd like to point out that any of the moderators are perfectly capable of doing this if they happen to notice that I haven't logged into the forums in over two weeks. Thanks to Jefe for picking up the slack and setting up his own poll in an unofficial capacity, I do appreciate the effort you went to (although I did delete your thread  :heheh: ).
Also as an aside, apparently Dropbox will be making my Public folder (and all Public folders) private in the near future, meaning I will need to find a new place to host the images for your viewing pleasure. Apologies if that delays a month in the near future, or if it means you are unable to view any of the pasts entrants for any amount of time.

-Vis
[/spoiler]
With that little thing of me bitching aside, there's still some time left to submit for January's contest. Good luck competitors, and Merry Christmas Metroid Construction!

Jiffy

For my image hosting I just send the image over Discord and copy the direct link from there. It never ceases to please my needs at this point.
DMan gets my instant vote, believe it or not.

Vismund Cygnus

[spoiler]I'd use Discord links, but I much prefer to have a way where I can keep the rooms stored in an easily accessed archive for future reference, and Discord doesn't really cut it for me. Plus I imagine at some point Discord links to files expire. They only have so much bandwidth. For reference, here's what my dropbox currently looks like:

If anyone knows of an image hosting site that will essentially let me do that, I'd love to hear about them.
[/spoiler]
on-topic:
[spoiler=.Jif]Would be a shoe-in for the win basically any other month. Absolutely gorgeous usage of the Pink Brinstar tileset. Nothing too fancy, but you've worked well with it and made what looks like a room that could've been ripped directly from the original game, and that's some high praise.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=DMan]I mean, what can I say? Wow. Holy fuck that's good. I've no words, so I'm just going to do what Squishy did and complain about how that little section in the top right looks really unpolished when compared to the rest of the room. But man, that's some tasty work, and probably going to be my top pick for RotY.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=retroo]I never know what to say about your rooms because I never have any idea what's going on. There's some interesting Layer 2 stuff going on, but I'm left wondering how much of that room would actually be visible in game, as well as being confused by the right hand side of the room entirely, because the layering looks all wrong. I presume the sand in front of the door is air tiles, and that Samus would move behind those in-game, yet there's what looks to be solid tiles overlapping them, where I presume the player character stands. It's really confusing and fairly nonsensical.[/spoiler]
Obviously DMantra gets my vote, but that shouldn't detract from how good I think Jefe's room is.

TobiMikami

DMan took the great usage of a finicky tileset to a new extreme, so my vote was definitely sold there. Pink Brinstar, damn close second, but DMan has that classic style nobody else can pull off quite the same way. I'm always more of a fan of the non-vanilla look, but if there's a right way to do vanilla tiles, this is definitely it.

Lunaria

Can't you just FTP host them on metconst itself? I guess that drains on our own bandwidth though..., hurm.

Quote58

Hold on a second. Don't we submit rooms in month X for room of the X month? No one submitted any rooms before me in December, those were still in november. Unless I'm thinking about it wrong, it sounds like it's just behind by more than 1 month.

Quietus

I got that feeling too, Quote, but was just rollin' with it. I did post before, but in short: Everyone was unlucky, because DMan entered a delicious room.

Quote58

So vismund explained it and I checked to make sure it wasnt behind as well, and I did indeed have it wrong. However, it's pretty weird in my opinion. We do currently submit for the next month's room of the room, and then vote, and submit for the next one. I don't understand the point of that, considering all it does is shift the submission period ahead one month, which means you skip the first month. I think maybe it made more sense when submissions were done via PMs. Idk, I think it's silly, but it's not broken so @shrug

Retroo

TobiMikami

Would it be wrong of us to call the contest now? Considering we have a clear landslide victory for DMan's work of art.