News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Space Complex

Started by Flower, October 15, 2016, 02:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flower

Hello everyone, this is a thread for my new hack. 
It's also featured on RHDN.

Working Title:

METROID
SPACE COMPLEX

It's located in deep Space, in which Samus is going to experience a great Adventure. She travels from planet to planet finding secrets, fighting enemies and bosses, travelling through meteorites. The world is some interconnected space.
As of the background story honestly, i have to think about that one. Anyone good ideas? ;)

Current DEMO Version:
Space Demo v0.7
In case of interest just send a pm!

THEMES:
Brinstar - Open Alienated Space
Norfair - Floral Hills and Landscape / Temple
Kraid - Deep Cave
Ridley - Slimes and Mushrooms
Tourian - Glass + X

new pictures:
[spoiler]

Brinstar (Space Area)

Kraid (Cave Area)

Norfair (Flora Area)

Stone Temple @ Flora Area
[/spoiler]

old pictures:
[spoiler]

NORFAIR

KRAID

RIDLEY
[/spoiler]

BACKGROUND MUSIC:
Youtube Links.
unordered, Tracks are all WIP, could get altered and the areas where they are used in the video could be or not be where they are in the final hack.
[spoiler]
EPOS

CAVE

TUESDAY MUSIC

FASTRACK

SPACE KEYS

TEMPLE RAMPAGE
[/spoiler]

Goals in short:
Story line gets written.
Graphic gets completely overhauled. New Music Tracks get composed. Levels are built from scratch. Some new Upgrades gonna get featured.

Goals achieved:
Graphics and Background Music done partially (see numbers down below)
A Bomb Upgrade, healing and hurting Units are already implemented. There are plans for more!!

- in numbers -

GRAPHICS:
Brinstar 90%
Kraid 90%
Norfair 60%
Ridley 5%
Tourian 15%

BG MUSIC:
Brinstar 90%
Kraid 90%
Norfair 80%
Tourian 90%

LEVELS:
Brinstar 70%
Norfair 20%
Kraid 30%

FEATURES:
Healing and Hurting Tiles 100%
Bomb Upgrade / easier Bomb Jumping 50% (couldn't make it as an upgrade yet)
Walljump 0% (i would appreciate help here!!!!)
Springball 0% (help!!!?)
Spacejump 0% (is it even possible?)

Animations 20%
Slope Detection 0% (desperately waiting for Editroid 4 and new asm mods)

So far, i will give additional info and updates whenever i'm willing to or something new is implemented.
I've got the blessing of a job with a lot of free time and i get more experienced, thus i am optimistic of a completion of the whole thing.

I am very happy about critics, feedback of all kind, suggestions, or the opportunity to work together.
Especially in regards of asm modifications i would love help! :whoa:

Stay tuned. Cheers!  :bounce:

AuroraxPhilic

This looks pretty impressive, however...something about the graphics rubs me in the wrong way. It doesn't "feel" polished; but that just could be me :P. Also...a lot of this "information" is extremely vague, ehh; anyway, this looks really cool either way! I would like to help, but, I'm really the last person you'd wanna work with... #StaysTuned

Grimlock

The graphics have an interesting alien vibe to them.  It looks like a good start, you'll find that your graphics as a whole will evolve over time as you work on your project.

I'm happy to see someone else brave enough to try and develop some custom graphics for the NES (Metroid in this case of course).  There are certain principles you have to follow in order to be successful with the NES limitations.  I would recommend examining graphics from other games such as Batman, Little Samson, Ninja Gaiden, or the Megaman series.  The proper use of black is critical to NES graphics.  Things to look for are how they reused tiles, how they added depth and shadows to their designs, color choices, animations and such.

The thing about the NES is that in order to make it work with the available palette as well as the limited number of tiles you have to consider black in nearly every graphic in some way.  Also one thing pixel artists eventually realize is that you never really "draw what you're drawing" exactly, it's more like you're hinting at it.  This is big when drawing graphics for the NES since you're up against some difficult limitations compared to modern gaming technology.  When you are drawing something always ask yourself "how can I hint at that".

I think you have a good foundational set of graphics here, kind of like when a painter starts painting with the shapes and maybe the highlights.  It's not quite there but it's still a work in progress and can continue to develop.  I can see the next layer of graphics that your overall design needs.  You have a good alien look, now it needs depth.  You should create some tiles (or edit some existing) to create some fades to black, some shadows.   The bottom edge and maybe right side of your structures tiles could have some fading edited into them.  Then you can edit the top and upper left tiles to give them some sort of highlight.  Try it out and let us see how it turns out.  I think with a little time and patience it'll make a tremendous difference.

Also don't be concerned with having to rework your area if you develop more graphics, it's worth it.  It can be time consuming and that's why I always say to create your tile set before any major area development.  I think you have the potential to create something neat but take your time and work those tiles until they're looking great.

I'd like to help you with feedback on your graphics development so definitely post some more screenshots as you go!

Mayo-chan

The first thing I notice is that you're making the same mistake I used to make with tilesets. There's too much visual noise, too many bright colors to take in at once and it overwhelms the eyes, and causes fatigue to set in a lot sooner than you normally would. If you dulled out the background, using only darker or more washed out colors, it would go a long way in making your hack look better.

Flower

Hey @Grimlock i heeded your advice and started adding highlights and shadow things. Though i am not yet happy with the result i wanted to ask you for advice how i shall proceed.

It is foreseeable that i have to do redo my structures and level and layout from scratch, but before I do that i want to be lucky with my tiles which i ain't now. But it's all in a progress and i thank you again for leading me in a direction of a better pixel artist ;).
I also did some experiments with enemy layouts, one is observable on the Screenshot. And so did I with animations. One thing that's up next is to plax with the palettes. Maybe i can make better use of it. (at least that is what some of you stated here!)

Flower

Regarding the blue meteorite sphere, i found shaping a light / shadow model useful and will start refining the design based on it. Cheers! =)

Grimlock

Nice work!  That's a huge step in the right direction.  Adding depth brings your graphics to the next level.  Have a look at those games I mentioned to help give you more ideas for your graphics.  I like how you created the edge on your highlights, you could do the same on the dark side using the darkest color in your palette, create an outline.  At this point you can fine tune your graphics.  Adding some diversity would be helpful.  Create a few unique tiles to add in occasionally, maybe like a crack, a rock, or use the same pattern but make a unique one that's one of the bumps only larger, then sometimes add it in (it would be a separate structure you just put on top of other structures, like a detail layer).

Flower

Now this is the meteorite sphere designed using that model. I must admit i am very satisfied, what do y'all say?

I think i will refine the other objects (and new ones, too) using that shaping method. Cheers!

Scout1297

Quote from: Flower on October 19, 2016, 06:57:07 AM
Now this is the meteorite sphere designed using that model. I must admit i am very satisfied, what do y'all say?

I think i will refine the other objects (and new ones, too) using that shaping method. Cheers!
:nod:

Flower

And so does it look ingame, i also did some serious changes in my palette choice.

benox50

Looks way way better than the start.
Now it looks like something, good job for listening to critics and reworking it.

Quietus

I would be tempted to remove a lot of the noise, and try and condense it down to lighter / darker patches if possible, rather than the same speckling all over.

Steel Sparkle

dude this looks pretty sweet. Keep up the good work and good luck.

AuroraxPhilic

I will admit, the graphics no longer hurt my eyes as much, and are pleasing to look at. However, I have to agree with Quietus, you should try to find a way to eliminate some of the noise in your graphics. It will only make it that much more pleasant to look at. :P

Hey...all this talk of graphics has got me thinking that I should work on mock up graphics for my hack. X3

Flower

Thanks for all your encouraging feedback. Thanks!
I guess next step is eliminating that noisy things.
@AuroraxPhilic what blew me away you did include some missile only break blocks in tourian. Simple, but dude why didn't i have that idea?
What would you say 'bout same way to trade. Let' s say each of us gets a theme and for example designs a 16*16 combo for both of our games? Just a neat idea which comes to my mind...

Again, stay tuned!

AuroraxPhilic

Umm...huh? Are you talking about my hack? Oh, you mean the escape sequence of Tourian, where you believed you were stuck? Needing to blow open a tank? I hope I'm right. I just thought that would be a cool way to get out, as that's the first thing you see on Tourian. :P

Hmm, that's an interesting thought. I have to decline however, I don't think my art style will mesh well with your hack; like wise, I'm pretty stingy and perfectionist about what goes into my works.

Flower

Nevermind auro! Was a spontaneous idea, just when you said you're also going into graphical works.
This whole thing gets me into serious work, and rework, and rework again. But it's such a good learning exercise. In my former life i was just into music and computer games. But i never thought i would ever be a graphical artist, pixel artist artist or something like that. Art lessons in school were terrible. So that part i always totally ignored. It's like a new world opens up for me. I never even had a clue about shadows, shaping, use of colors and so on.
That's what i like about hacking it is such multifarious work, and now there is graphic design too. Who would have thought...
I thank you all for your critics, hints and encouraging feedback. It pushed me as well in continuing with that work.
I will see how i can succeed in eliminating the noise; right now i don't know how without destroying the pattern, but i guess a bit about it and i'm sure there will be an idea.. hmm....

Grimlock

I would say stick with the current pattern and build your area.  Then work on the graphics for your next area.  Try to be unique in how you design your graphics for each area.  After you get a few more areas done you can then go back to this area and perfect your graphics.  If you do it this way you'll have a lot more experience to make the graphics look nice.  I think you're in a good place right now to continue with level design.

At this point I wouldn't work on the sprites, you should wait until you finish all of your areas first.  Then you'll be able to create the look of the enemies based on how your areas look.

Regarding the rework because of the new graphics, it's completely normal.  I reworked A LOT of structures and tiles in Rogue Dawn.  I even replaced nearly my entire tile set in the science ship area and had to rebuild most of the screens.

Flower

Hey People, i want to get you in tune, so i uploaded a very little demo. Yeah that's right, it's just 10 screens long. Objective: Collect the Missiles! ;)
As the Hack is in an early state, most things will be changed in the final hack, but i wanted to show off something. The background track will stay for sure, everything else..?.. Stay curious!
Sorry for the misspelled filename.

Cheers, have fun!

Flower

@Grimlock Before i'll forget:
I got myself hooked into Li'l Samson and Batman and darn what good looking games. Megaman 1-6 are already in my collection (yes the real cartridges!)  :^_^:
As you maybe expected i got some inspiration for graphics in general and ideas for new areas as well.
The new areas will gently play with black color, as that is basically necessary in NES graphics, but whom tell i that?   :wink:

When anyone has something to say about the little demo, no wrong shyly!

Stay tuned

Scout1297

Its beautiful.
And the music is too :D
I think you should change Samus' sprite though, she is the only thing looking out of place.

Flower

You're right, i want to change her sprites and palette, but that's least important for me now. As you may know, her palette is tedious to change.

Grimlock

I gave your demo a try.

Graphics: 

I like the look of your current graphics for the rock/asteroid structures.  I think you could add some tiles in there to break up the pattern some, especially in the larger areas of pattern.  The platforms could use some attention (the square and rectangle rows of blocks that form platforms), currently they look less solid than they probably should.  You could add more depth to them with a similar technique as the one you used for the larger objects.

Your custom sprites are on par with what I would expect to see from someone at your level of experience, that's not a bad thing, it just means keep learning and you'll find better techniques.  The energy healing field with the can is pretty flat, it looks like a drawing more than a real can.  I think you'll find better ways to create the graphic after you examine more NES graphics from the games mentioned earlier.  The creature sprite is the same, the flickering eyes is a nice touch but I think in time your skills with allow you to make much more impressive sprites. For the healing concept I used a solid platform in Rogue Dawn with a non solid graphic on top of it that was the healing tile.  That might be a good approach for you also.  Create a common graphic you'll use in all areas that will be easy to recognize for the player as a healing station.

The animated stars everywhere is a bit on the bold side I think.  I like them, and the concept but it's a lot.  Maybe reduce the number of them or produce more of a variety, maybe some that are a lot smaller too.

I like that you are starting to put detail items like small rocks and plants, it'll make a huge difference and make things look even better to add things like this.  It really brings your level design to life.

Music:

I like your custom music, nice work.  It sounds like to used all of the available features of Metroid Tuner.

Level design:

If I were you I would sketch out a level design layout and put a lot of thought into it before building your areas.  It's so much easier and faster if your even going off of a basic un detailed sketch.  I don't particularly care for this layout, it seems very random as far as the platform placement goes.  As a demo and graphics development level it's perfectly fine.  You should consider scrapping this screen though and not use it in your actual level design.

AuroraxPhilic

Alright, it's my turn.

When I first loaded up the rom, I was very impressed by what I saw. I really like the organic layout's look. Then I heard the new music, rolled out my Audio Technica's, gave it a careful listen. I love this song. It gives me an Altered Beast (on the Sega Genesis) vibe. And while the song is epic, it DOES NOT fit what is going on -- on screen. At all. That song could be used elsewhere perhaps?

Now on to graphics: I have to agree with some of Grimlocks points. While it looks like it has very serious potential, other aspects of beginner cry out. There is no focus or focus with the graphics; and what's there is very childish in appearance. Sorry. When dealing with NES sprites, you can really only hint to the player as to what they are looking at. You also lake serious perspective; it's like every item has it's own vanishing point; which makes no bloody sense.
I'll stop here. It's not fair to bash someone who doesn't have any serious art skills. I'm suddenly considering helping you out in that department, it looks as if you could really use it. :3

Also, I know this is simply a tech demoish thing, but holy crap man! This layout is absolutely awful! You could of at least made a small playground of sorts! I'm sorry, but the layout doesn't show the potential of the organic layouts, there's perma-stucks all over the place; again, I understand that's not the focus...It was just a pain to traverse...

Say...did you come up with your own song, or did you use another one from somewhere else? :3.         (And as for the stars...umm...what Grimlock said :P)