News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Moving or repointing a boss room

Started by Dark-SA-X, July 13, 2016, 07:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark-SA-X

I want to repoint or move this room 7A59F to 793AA, what would be the best way to do this ?
I read the repointing tutorials provided on this site, but I still can't understand that.

Quietus

Unless I'm mistaken, as I've not really tinkered with repointing, you don't usually repoint a room to another room's position, but repoint it to free space instead.

If that's not it, then assuming you're following squishy's guide, which part don't you understand, or doesn't work?

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Quietus on July 13, 2016, 08:21:46 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, as I've not really tinkered with repointing, you don't usually repoint a room to another room's position, but repoint it to free space instead.

If that's not it, then assuming you're following squishy's guide, which part don't you understand, or doesn't work?

Making freespace and setting up the pointers, makes my head spin.
Not asking for very much, if you know the landing site for the ship, kraids area will be on the far right corner on a cliff.
I got that idea when I played mzm so often and looking at chozidia layout.

Quietus

And we can't help you if you don't tell us how far you got through the guide, which part you're stuck on, what didn't work, what you don't understand, etc. We need specifics in order to direct you further.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Quietus on July 13, 2016, 01:43:23 PM
And we can't help you if you don't tell us how far you got through the guide, which part you're stuck on, what didn't work, what you don't understand, etc. We need specifics in order to direct you further.

When I have a chance late tonight I'll explain what I am having issues with.
However I mentioned setting up free space in the rom.

Jordan5

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on July 13, 2016, 03:10:16 PM
setting up free space

what do you mean? there is free space, you find it and point to it, then you use it.

I assume you have read this, what's the sticking point?

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Jordan5 on July 13, 2016, 03:53:34 PM

what do you mean? there is free space, you find it and point to it, then you use it.

I assume you have read this, what's the sticking point?

Yeah but I am reading squish_igo's guide, some of his instructions don't really help.
This is quoted from his document and I am trying to make sense of what he wants me to do in smile 2.5 or rf.

QuoteA VERY easy way to convert an offset to a pointer is to use SMILE.  Open up your pointer window, (edit -> pointers) and take a gander at the bottom of the window.  It has a $__ _____ at the bottom!  The $ means the ROM Address.  Type in the pointer, and SMILE will covert it to the ROM address.

Now for an example!  Goto the first room in SMILE. (791F8) and open the pointer window.  The level Data pointer is C2C2BB.  So type that in at the bottom and you get 2142BB.  Now lets take a little peek at that level_entries.txt for a sec.  The first entry at the top of the page is 2142BB!  Hey now were getting somewhere!
But why did C2C2BB become 2142BB?  Like I was saying earlier banks are in chunks of 8000.  2142BB is the ROM address, and C2C2BB is the pointer. 
21 = C2 as the bank the data is in.
42 = C2?  Now that ones alittle harder to explain.  Since banks are in chunks of 8000 all pointers have to be greater than 8000 or it WILL NOT WORK! So what do you do if your pointer is less than 8000?  Well you add 8000 to it!  Weird huh?  Now look at our example.  42BB + 8000 = C2BB!
BB = BB this NEVER changes.

This is kraids level data, what rom address do I need to work with the from the pointer window ?  :neutral:

Quietus

You need to open your ROM in a hex editor, and scroll to the end of the data, to look for a load of FF FF FF FF FF going on. If you haven't applied loads of patches or whatever, then it should start (according to squishy's guide) at 2FD4F0. If you've changed things, it may be different. Assuming it's the same, do the following:

Open level entries.txt (it's in SMILE RF > Files > Data), add 2FD4F0 at the bottom, add a dummy value for the level data to stop at, such as 2FE000 in the guide, then save and close it.

Open Kraid's room (7A59F) in SMILE RF, click on Room MDB, and enter DFD4F0 (2FD4F0 converted, as in the guide) into the Level Data pointer box (after the $). Click the Save Pointers button.

Save your room. You should now see a normal looking 541/2832 for your room level data (not that you need that much for Kraid's room). :^_^:

Dark-SA-X

Ok I did what you said minus the hex editor part and smile rf told me 568/621 ? o_O
The only patches I've used was begrimes skill patch, and metaquarius metroid 1 classic music patch.
I'll open up the hex editor and do what you mentioned, probably bring a screenshot back.
Once I have it setup right, how would I move rooms or swap room locations ?
Just by looking at the guides and watch you mentioned, both rooms have similiar sizes.
Minus kraids size and 2 doors with sticky green vines to rip through samus suit. >_>

Quietus

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on July 15, 2016, 06:08:50 AMOk I did what you said minus the hex editor part
The part that is important, because you need to check if the space is free... Also, if you follow the instructions (as I did) it definitely works, so you may have missed a step or, as I originally said, the space wasn't free, so you needed to use different addresses.

To 'move' the rooms, you just change the door connections, and move the room's position on the map.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Quietus on July 15, 2016, 07:26:19 AM
Quote from: Dark-SA-X on July 15, 2016, 06:08:50 AMOk I did what you said minus the hex editor part
The part that is important, because you need to check if the space is free... Also, if you follow the instructions (as I did) it definitely works, so you may have missed a step or, as I originally said, the space wasn't free, so you needed to use different addresses.

To 'move' the rooms, you just change the door connections, and move the room's position on the map.

When I have a chance late tonight I'll try it again.
Where is that option to move or change door connections in smile 2.5 and rf ?

Quietus

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Quietus on July 15, 2016, 02:49:41 PM
Use RF, and read point 16 after this.

Alright I read the instructions my question is the copied door I took from kraids room where do I place it at ?
Also how I do paste it, I know ctrl+v is for pasting but in this program is different.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k481/MaikuGekidouken/screen_zps1sjsvqcs.png

Quietus

You don't paste the door, just its properties. In point 16 that I linked to, it explains about linking doors. You will need to copy the properties of Kraid's door as well as the door you intend to link it to (from whatever room). You then essentially link A to B and B to A.

As per the instructions:
Go to your first room, and press Ctrl+C on one of the door tiles. (This copies the first door's information)
Go to your second toom, and press Ctrl+C on one of the door tiles. (This copies the second door's information)
Press Ctrl+D on the door tiles. (This opens this door's properties)
Select the first door you copied from the two at the bottom, and click 'Link to Selected Door'. (This links your second door to your first room's door)
Go back to your first room, and press Ctrl+D on the door tiles to open its properties.
Select the second door you copied at the bottom, and click 'Link to Selected Door'. (This links your first door to your second room's door)
Test both doors to check that you can move back and forth, both in the editor (Ctrl+E on the door tiles) and in-game.