News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Advance Game Editor (MAGE) Thread

Started by biospark, June 21, 2016, 06:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiteguy666

So, I was using MAGE one time, and When I tried to Test any room in both Metroid ROMS, it gave me an error. I redownloaded MAGE, and it gave me the same error. How do I fix that?

FelixWright

Quote from: Kiteguy666 on December 21, 2016, 12:50:30 PM
So, I was using MAGE one time, and When I tried to Test any room in both Metroid ROMS, it gave me an error. I redownloaded MAGE, and it gave me the same error. How do I fix that?

Actually read the error and fix it?

In all seriousness you probably haven't set a correct path for the editor to use in test mode. Make sure the path to the emulator you plan to use to test your rooms is correct in MAGE.

Kiteguy666

I fixed it now. I wonder why it happened though. I did set the correct path, but then the ROM's somehow didn't work. I set it again and it worked this time

biospark

MAGE doesn't store a path to the emulator. It simply saves a test ROM to your temp directory and opens the file, which should open it with whatever emulator you have associated with .gba files. So I'm not sure what you mean by setting the correct path.

Also, if you ever get an error message, you should always include it if you make a post here. Otherwise, I'll probably have no clue what went wrong or how to fix it.

FelixWright

Quote from: biospark on December 21, 2016, 03:49:06 PM
MAGE doesn't store a path to the emulator. It simply saves a test ROM to your temp directory and opens the file, which should open it with whatever emulator you have associated with .gba files. So I'm not sure what you mean by setting the correct path.

Also, if you ever get an error message, you should always include it if you make a post here. Otherwise, I'll probably have no clue what went wrong or how to fix it.

Ah, for a moment there I had believed that MAGE depended on the user to locate an emulator for it to use when in testmode rather than simply opening the ROM with your default application for opening .GBA's. That would be a fault on my end.

@Kiteguy666 : Hit Ctrl + C when error messages appear. This will copy them to your clipboard to paste into here.

MBT808

Quote from: Hawntah on December 20, 2016, 05:35:11 AM
Quote from: MBT808 on December 19, 2016, 08:25:15 PM
thanks, what about the beam sounds? Also, sappy doesn't work at all.
Beam sounds are from track 200 onwards. Try this version then.

tried it, but came back with a message saying that Zero mission doesn't have a song table, or atleast not one that it can find.

Antidote

It's probably the ROM you're using, try using a known good dump (preferably one you make yourself).

MBT808

Quote from: Antidote on December 24, 2016, 01:18:54 PM
It's probably the ROM you're using, try using a known good dump (preferably one you make yourself).

Tried that as well using the project I'm working on based on the zero mission rom, the result is the same.

edit: tried a different version of the rom, same result occurs

Hawntah

Quote from: MBT808 on December 23, 2016, 09:58:28 PM
tried it, but came back with a message saying that Zero mission doesn't have a song table, or atleast not one that it can find.
Oh, right. You need to manually specify the songtable location in the sappy.xml file. Or just replace the file with this one.

By the way, we're going really off-topic here, this thread is supposed to be about issues with MAGE.

Kiteguy666

I think I found a bug with MAGE. After using it to edit a Metroid Zero Mission ROM, I used the MGBA emulator to play the Edited ROM. When the ROM opened, it sent me straight to Brinstar Room 0 with All items equipped, like I was just testing the ROM with MAGE. How do I fix that?

interdpth

Quote from: MBT808 on December 23, 2016, 09:58:28 PM
Quote from: Hawntah on December 20, 2016, 05:35:11 AM
Quote from: MBT808 on December 19, 2016, 08:25:15 PM
thanks, what about the beam sounds? Also, sappy doesn't work at all.
Beam sounds are from track 200 onwards. Try this version then.

It's not the ROM it's the engine, ZM and MF have two pointers in their sappy tables for each song.
http://gsf.caitsith2.net/ofslist.txt has the proper sound table pointers FYI.

biospark

Quote from: Kiteguy666 on December 26, 2016, 02:20:03 PM
I think I found a bug with MAGE. After using it to edit a Metroid Zero Mission ROM, I used the MGBA emulator to play the Edited ROM. When the ROM opened, it sent me straight to Brinstar Room 0 with All items equipped, like I was just testing the ROM with MAGE. How do I fix that?

As long as you didn't name it test.gba you should be fine. Does MGBA have a recent files list? Maybe you opened the wrong one. If not, can you replicate the problem and post the steps here?

Kiteguy666

Okay, so, I was editing Room 0 in MAGE. I then saved the changes, and then I Opened the same ROM I edited(I knew it was the same one) and when it turned on it would always spawn me here:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sorry for the large image

biospark

Quote from: Kiteguy666 on December 26, 2016, 03:16:20 PM
Okay, so, I was editing Room 0 in MAGE. I then saved the changes, and then I Opened the same ROM I edited(I knew it was the same one) and when it turned on it would always spawn me here

Are you sure you weren't editing the test ROM directly with MAGE? Otherwise I have no idea what went wrong, unless you can replicate it with an unmodified ROM.

Kiteguy666

I can't exactly replicate it, but I can prove to you that It does happen

https://youtu.be/gX59ARd-gUE

I know the Video is choppy, but you can get the basic Idea that the ROM isn't working Properly 

biospark

You didn't need to post the video, it's obvious that the test room code has already been written to the ROM. If you don't have a backup and you want to keep working on your hack, I can try to fix it. If it happens again, try to tell me exactly what you did.

Kiteguy666

Here's the IPS. (I'll delete this message if it breaks any rules)

biospark

It works now. Apply it to an unmodified ROM.

I'm assuming you didn't have any backups. You should make backups frequently (which you can do easily in MAGE with File > Create Backup).

Kiteguy666

Weak Lava is F***ed up, but other than that, this is good.

biospark

Quote from: Kiteguy666 on December 27, 2016, 04:50:41 PM
Weak Lava is F***ed up, but other than that, this is good.

This has been discussed before, the Samus closeup during the intro overwrites some of the graphics/palettes. I can't remember if someone figured out how to disable the closeup but I could look into it sometime if not.

interdpth

It's in the help thread.

@biospark  Any plans on more features for testing a room? Setting specific pickups and events?

Luce Seyfarth

I think I found a bug here;
I was playing around with new added doors... After connecting two new doors with type "no hatch" and testing them I found myself stuck in an endless loop while the game tried to scroll using a "hatch" door transition. The endless scrolling occured because I put the destination door beyond scrolling boundaries, which was easily fixed, but still the game handled these doors like "hatch" type doors, while MAGE showed them a "no hatch" doors. I then opened the edited ROM with Double Helix and saw that, indeed, those doors were "hatch" type doors.

I managed to fix this in MAGE by changing the door type to another one, save that, changing it back to "no hatch" and save again.

What I did to produce this:
1. I added a new door by right-clicking on the map while in object editing mode
2. I then changed door type to "no hatch" and size to 1 x 1
3. I saved the changes and closed the door window
3. I added another door and did the same changes, but didn't close the editing window
4. I used the "auto connect" function while editing new door #2 to connect it to door #1
5. I closed the door editing window and checked door #1 for correct destination door
6. I saved my changes to ROM and closed MAGE

If you can't reproduce this, I can try to do it again and send you an ips patch.

biospark

Quote from: Luce Seyfarth on January 02, 2017, 03:02:54 PM
If you can't reproduce this, I can try to do it again and send you an ips patch.

I couldn't reproduce it. Can you send me a patch?

Luce Seyfarth

As it turns out, I couldn't either - at least not on a clean ROM. I tried many times now. May be a thing with my hack only... or does only occur after using MAGE for extended periods of time, which I did.

I'll be back to developing. When I encounter this again, I'll be sure to make a patch of it.