News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Advance Game Editor (MAGE) Thread

Started by biospark, June 21, 2016, 06:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PonchGaming

All this time, I had never noticed that all the tilesets have red outline. Also, good job :grin:

Thirteen1355

Looks pretty neat, but it's a real small change.

passarbye

It isn't really a big deal, it just always annoyed me every time I wanted to play MZM because there were red outlines everywhere.
I think MZM looks bad because of the red outlines, so mostly I just wanted it to look more natural.

Next thing I'm doing is an actual MZM hack (my first, so probably half-hack in size), so at least that will be a more substantial contribution to Metconst.
This is really just a stepping stone to my next thing.

biospark

Quote from: passarbye on August 25, 2016, 11:05:57 PM
after chozo boss battle, animated chozo pillars (during room exit) have a small red outline, but I'm not really worried about fixing it because you only see it once.

Check sprite BC.

passarbye

Quote from: biospark on August 26, 2016, 02:13:40 PM
after chozo boss battle, animated chozo pillars (during room exit) have a small red outline, but I'm not really worried about fixing it because you only see it once.

Check sprite BC.
okay, you have the solution to pretty much everything lol thanks.  :heheh:
Updated patch attached to this post. (same name/version)

passarbye

@biospark would it be possible to add a scroll line grid to MAGE? I keep forgetting how many actual in-game tiles a single minimap tile is, and it would be helpful for planning out room-building.

biospark

Quote from: passarbye on August 27, 2016, 02:30:51 PM
@biospark would it be possible to add a scroll line grid to MAGE? I keep forgetting how many actual in-game tiles a single minimap tile is, and it would be helpful for planning out room-building.

Oops, I thought that was part of my list of features in the first post. I'm just going to call them "screen outlines". Don't want people to get mixed up with scrolls. Next release won't be for a while though, because I reimplemented a bunch of stuff and I have to thoroughly test everything.

Also room options will tell you how many screens your room is, in case you weren't aware.

passarbye

@biospark is it possible to move a room to a different area?
for example, I want to move the Power Grip room to Brinstar, is that possible (how) and will the room still grant me Power Grip?

biospark

Quote from: passarbye on August 30, 2016, 02:19:14 PM
@biospark is it possible to move a room to a different area?
for example, I want to move the Power Grip room to Brinstar, is that possible (how) and will the room still grant me Power Grip?

It is, but you'd have to replace an existing room in Brinstar. Use the header editor and copy all of the background data, spriteset data, and music (also change map coordinates as appropriate). You'll have to redo the scrolls (which doesn't apply here) and doors.

Once I add a feature to add rooms, it will be easier and you won't have to use an existing room.

passarbye

@biospark So can I edit Tile Tables yet or are you still working on that?
I've imported a tileset but it's garbled.

biospark

Quote from: passarbye on September 14, 2016, 04:59:06 PM
@biospark So can I edit Tile Tables yet or are you still working on that?
I've imported a tileset but it's garbled.

Still working on it. It will be in the next release.

Did you import using an image? If so, could you send it to me to see what went wrong?

interdpth

Can you put in a ROM reload button? Hitting F5 then testing the room to test ASM changes would be a lot better then opening new rom, returning to ROM I'm working on then going back to the room I was testing in.

biospark

Quote from: interdpth on September 17, 2016, 07:01:07 PM
Can you put in a ROM reload button? Hitting F5 then testing the room to test ASM changes would be a lot better then opening new rom, returning to ROM I'm working on then going back to the room I was testing in.

File > Recent Files isn't fast enough for you?

interdpth

Nope, still gotta go back to the area and room I was working in :(

#firsworldproblems

biospark

I just discovered there are some pretty obvious undo bugs in the latest release. I'm surprised no one has pointed them out yet. I'll make sure they're fixed before the next release.

Dark-SA-X

Where is the option to edit samus palette and graphics for mzm and mf ?
I saw it before in your first release now your recent one doesn't or I could be over looking it with so much stuff you have in it.

Amorsis

Hey there Biospark. I'm loving the editor. I don't want to annoy you or anything but do you think you have a rough date estimate on when your next stable build will be?

biospark

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on September 19, 2016, 08:07:14 AM
Where is the option to edit samus palette and graphics for mzm and mf ?
I saw it before in your first release now your recent one doesn't or I could be over looking it with so much stuff you have in it.

It never had this option. A Samus graphics editor has been on my list of planned features. For now, you can edit Samus's palettes if you know where they're located. Also, I don't know when I'll be able to add that.

Quote from: Amorsis on September 19, 2016, 12:52:09 PM
Hey there Biospark. I'm loving the editor. I don't want to annoy you or anything but do you think you have a rough date estimate on when your next stable build will be?

I don't like giving estimates since they're usually not accurate at all, though my todo list for this release is nearly done. So maybe in one or two weeks.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: biospark on September 19, 2016, 01:46:08 PM
It never had this option. A Samus graphics editor has been on my list of planned features. For now, you can edit Samus's palettes if you know where they're located. Also, I don't know when I'll be able to add that.

It might be in the sprites list that I saw but don't know which ones, I already found the sa-x in fusion but I don't for sure if she is asm hard locked at the moment.

I look forward to seing that feature soon thanks for info.

passarbye

Don't know if anyone has tried this already but..
I tried changing the music that's played in Brinstar room 0 with the header editor and:
it works in 'quick-mage' (testing a room), but does not actually change the music when you start a new game.
However, you can exit room 0 and re-enter (with a new game), which does change the music to what I wanted.

I think it's because this is hard-coded somewhere in the intro, with all that other shit.

biospark

Quote from: passarbye on September 22, 2016, 09:15:51 PM
I think it's because this is hard-coded somewhere in the intro, with all that other shit.

That's correct. You can change the byte at 0x605F8 to determine what music plays after the intro.

passarbye

Quote from: biospark on September 22, 2016, 09:59:19 PM
Quote from: passarbye on September 22, 2016, 09:15:51 PM

That's correct. You can change the byte at 0x605F8 to determine what music plays after the intro.
Thanks, that fixed it.

LaughingMan008

So, Ive been messing around with this program a little bit. It's great and I love it, but Ive noticed one issue. When using the text editor on Metroid Fusion, it seems to have an issue with the [DELAY=X] command that some of the story scenes use. The editor itself does not seem to be able to read that command. Even if you load one of the texts up, and just click save without editing anything, it says that the command is invalid and wont save it. Therefore if you want to edit any scene with that command in it, you have to delete it totally, and that messes up the scene so it gets stuck. Is there any way around this? Is this a bug, something that isn't implemented yet, or is it something wrong on my end?

Grahf

Quote from: passarbye on August 27, 2016, 01:28:27 PM
Quote from: biospark on August 26, 2016, 02:13:40 PM

Check sprite BC.
okay, you have the solution to pretty much everything lol thanks.  :heheh:
Updated patch attached to this post. (same name/version)

Excellent work! This always bothered me while playing the gba games. Are you planning on doing one for Fusion too?

biospark

Quote from: LaughingMan008 on September 30, 2016, 11:01:21 AM
Is this a bug, something that isn't implemented yet, or is it something wrong on my end?

It is indeed a bug, thanks for finding it and pointing it out. I simply forgot to add "DELAY" as one of the things to check for when parsing the text.

Next release is nearly done, but I'm very busy with other things at the moment. Since it has a ton of changes, I may just release it early without testing it myself and fix any bugs you guys find.