News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Arrival [v1.11]

Started by Jiffy, March 16, 2016, 04:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piush

I just finished this . had played the original also. never had any glitches or anything, the physics change made space jumping pretty wild lol. well done.

PonchGaming

So it appears crocomire is kinda broken. So first off, when you enter the room from the lower norfair elevator room, its a little broken at first, which I can understand, coming in from a different spot and all. Then it turns out that the arm thing can be "killed" or something by screw attack. Then whatever the heck happens in the video will ensue.
[spoiler] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoV6aYplf_s [/spoiler]

Edit: So uh found this. No idea. If you shinespark that specific block, it does what the video does. Apparently in SMILE the thing leads to another room. Is it intentional? [spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-STWBgT2E[/spoiler]

Jiffy

Quote from: PonchGaming on April 18, 2016, 03:44:15 PM
So it appears crocomire is kinda broken. So first off, when you enter the room from the lower norfair elevator room, its a little broken at first, which I can understand, coming in from a different spot and all. Then it turns out that the arm thing can be "killed" or something by screw attack. Then whatever the heck happens in the video will ensue.
[spoiler] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoV6aYplf_s [/spoiler]

Edit: So uh found this. No idea. If you shinespark that specific block, it does what the video does. Apparently in SMILE the thing leads to another room. Is it intentional? [spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-STWBgT2E[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Firstly, I'm suprised you actually got to Lower Ministrane the back way. I never knew that was even possible. You must've done some crazy stuff there, to be quite honest.
As for the Crocomire thing (and also the ripper in the previous image), that's a vulnerability glitch. Will fix it, since I'm pushing out a new patch for a certain thing.
And that room, gah. I knew people would get onto my secrets! At least it's broken though so you won't find out what it is. Either way, it's blocked off in the new version I'll be pushing out.[/spoiler]

Steel Sparkle

It's amazing what people do to find bugs lol.
anyways what secerets o.o

Jiffy

Hey! You! Forget I said anything about SECRETS!!!
Also I missed the time to work on it last night. Will push out the race-specific patch tonight for sure.

Strokend

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on April 22, 2016, 04:57:01 PM
It's amazing what people do to find bugs lol.
anyways what secerets o.o

My only guess is they're rooms that store certain data, not much else you can keep in a room that won't properly access.

PonchGaming

The way I found your secret was SMILE. Speaking of which, your secret is out now.
[spoiler] http://s31.postimg.org/ugzl6iosr/Arrival_1_01_7_C98_E_Room.png [secret]

Jiffy

Quote from: PonchGaming on April 23, 2016, 11:10:10 AM
The way I found your secret was SMILE. Speaking of which, your secret is out now.
[spoiler] http://s31.postimg.org/ugzl6iosr/Arrival_1_01_7_C98_E_Room.png [secret]
S-See? It-It's nothing! It's absolutely nothing. Th-There's absolutely nothing to that room, I swear...!

Steel Sparkle

Wonder what item was supposed to be there.

Quietus

It doesn't matter now, as it's gone. You were pipped by a rival. :oh:

MetroidMst

Overall, really think this is a pretty great mid-size hack. However, I do believe there is a major flaw with this. (Other than the door behind Crocomire still being accessible before defeating him.)

[spoiler]The big problem is the ending. Everything feels pretty smooth and decent up until that point, and suddenly it's an ammo-check, insane-health enemy ending that feels very out of place. I think this would benefit from weaker and far quicker to defeat enemies/bosses at the end, as that would fit in much better with what the player is given in the rest of the hack.[/spoiler]

Jiffy

Quote from: MetroidMst on April 30, 2016, 01:12:42 AM
Overall, really think this is a pretty great mid-size hack. However, I do believe there is a major flaw with this. (Other than the door behind Crocomire still being accessible before defeating him.)

[spoiler]The big problem is the ending. Everything feels pretty smooth and decent up until that point, and suddenly it's an ammo-check, insane-health enemy ending that feels very out of place. I think this would benefit from weaker and far quicker to defeat enemies/bosses at the end, as that would fit in much better with what the player is given in the rest of the hack.[/spoiler]
Yeah, I must have made the door share an index. It was a quick thing and I didn't check everything to see if it were shared.
[spoiler]As for this, should I reduce the damage of Phantoon by half and reduce the metroids' health by a small little? I do want to keep these enemies in a high difficulty range, so if I can do that, please let me know.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

I played Fixt 4 and found everything without help but I simply cannot find the power bombs this time and every potential path of advancement seems to require them.  Hint as to the area I should be searching would be great.  I even have X-ray but it's still not happening for me. 

Jiffy

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on May 01, 2016, 11:53:47 AM
I played Fixt 4 and found everything without help but I simply cannot find the power bombs this time and every potential path of advancement seems to require them.  Hint as to the area I should be searching would be great.  I even have X-ray but it's still not happening for me.
[spoiler]You may be playing on an older version. If you get the newest version, there's a route in the large grapple room of Kolpruz that leads you to the Green area. It's through a shot block next to the chozo statue. (if you see a power bomb block, you're on an older version) :^_^: [/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

Yes, that block was a power bomb block.  I downloaded the newest patch and now I'm on my way.

So you're saying I would have been searching for a long time?

Jiffy

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on May 01, 2016, 01:54:43 PM
Yes, that block was a power bomb block.  I downloaded the newest patch and now I'm on my way.

So you're saying I would have been searching for a long time?
Quite right. Tbh, I did make a quiet change without telling anyone. :P

DSO

So, I greatly enjoyed playing this hack. It was a 'race' but I still ended up with 98%, missing only one super missile pack.

My thoughts on the hack (spoilers)
[spoiler]I found the physics different but acceptable until I got space jump. After that point, traversing the world became very quick and fun. I love just being able to spam the jump button to rapidly rise through vertical shafts and the speed at which Samus darted right/left. The entire hack apart from the ending section is great. I would be interested in toying with speedrunning Arrival, but as others have mentioned, the current version is not very any% friendly due to the ammo needed for metroids. The whole ending could be summed up as "easy tedium". Phantoon is a pointless, and long fight. Not just pointlessly long, the length adds to the problem but the core issue is he is pointless because he literally has no way of threatening a player with space jump. I think I got hit maybe once in that whole fight. Gold Torizo was a much more interesting and fun fight because even though there are ways to cheese him and stay safe on the top platform, the fast way of beating him carries some risk. With Phantoon there's simply no sense of accomplishment for beating him.
Metroids are similarly threatless. They do damage, yes, but the best way of fighting them is just letting them latch on and pumping missiles into them.

Still, everything before endgame is the most entertaining hack I've played in a long time and definitely in my top 3.

My suggestions: Your other bosses are good, but without a major AI change, I don't think it's possible to make Phantoon threatening as an endgame boss. Perhaps it's too easy for me to say, but I think a custom boss would be the preferable way to go.
Metroids as they are now, the best way to kill them is let them do what they normally do. No thinking or reacting, just let them latch and fire away. I would lower metroid health (I would probably make them immune to supers and take something around 15 missiles, at least in testing phase), and make them do strong contact damage with knockback that hits through screw attack. I would also remove the hitlag that metroids suffer when hit, so you can't just stand there and fire away while it fails to reach your through a wall of missiles. This will force the player to be actively avoiding the metroid and to have a measure of precision with shots. Hacks don't need to be hard to be great, they need to be engaging.[/spoiler]

Thank you very much for a great hack!

Tompa

Just finished this, had a lot of fun with it! I was surprised that I ended with 101%... How many items are there anyway? :eyeroll:
[spoiler]9 tanks
200 missiles
20 supers
30 pbombs[/spoiler]

Jiffy

Quote from: Tompa on May 02, 2016, 05:20:40 PM
Just finished this, had a lot of fun with it! I was surprised that I ended with 101%... How many items are there anyway? :eyeroll:
[spoiler]9 tanks
200 missiles
20 supers
30 pbombs[/spoiler]
I believe I added X-ray as a last minute item, so yeah, that should be the total. That also means i need to fix it sometime.

Digital_Mantra

I've been trying out different routes and ended up doing all of Kolpruz right after sporespawn suitless (uw ibj ftw), skipping Ridley and gravity suit entirely.
It would be possible for me to beat it if you didn't have all that acid at the end, its the only thing saying 'hey you skipped ridley, go back' when I'm like a room or two from the ship.
Ruined my sequence break with escape acid of all things.  :stern:

Strokend

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on May 06, 2016, 05:44:34 PM
I've been trying out different routes and ended up doing all of Kolpruz right after sporespawn suitless (uw ibj ftw), skipping Ridley and gravity suit entirely.
It would be possible for me to beat it if you didn't have all that acid at the end, its the only thing saying 'hey you skipped ridley, go back' when I'm like a room or two from the ship.

Is that during the escape sequence, is it rising acid, or is it just a trip back in that direction with stationary acid that must be navigated?

Jiffy

Quote from: Strokend on May 10, 2016, 10:14:32 AM
Quote from: Digital_Mantra on May 06, 2016, 05:44:34 PM

Is that during the escape sequence, is it rising acid, or is it just a trip back in that direction with stationary acid that must be navigated?
[spoiler]It's in the escape sequence. There is acid that exists at the top of the room in most of the escape rooms, which drain health quickly if you have not refilled and/or not using Gravity suit.[/spoiler]

Jiffy

An update has been placed in the first post, aka v1.11. This version is more speed-run friendly, and takes on the (rather angry) feedback about certain things. Also some personal changes. Enjoy!

A Dummy

Gave this a playthrough yesterday, thought it was pretty fun, I liked the custom music used.

Time 2:14  http://imgur.com/Tjc0RMj
Percentage rate: 95%  http://imgur.com/j1Z6mT0

I have to say it was pretty refreshing to play a shorter hack that could be beaten around 2 hours on the first playthrough, I definitely see the speedrunning potential here.
My only little nitpick is Phantoon seems a bit weak for how late he shows up, but I'm guessing that's for sequence breaking purposes so it's not necessary to have Spaz/Plas just to get past him.

Lunaria

I recently (yesterday and today) streamed this hack blind. You can find my playthrough here: Part 1, Part 2.

It was smaller then I thought it would be. :p