News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Panic Mode

Started by personitis, February 29, 2016, 10:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

personitis

This is a gimmick hack for the original Super Metroid. Nothing overly special.

[spoiler=About the hack]The same old Super Metroid you know and love, but with a gimmick: Samus' suit
has malfunctioned! Can you remove the Space Pirates from planet Zebes before
the Chozo suit claims your life?
[/spoiler]

Until the beta site is hosting the .zip, here are downloads hosted via my Dropbox:
Panic Mode v1.2

Thoughts about difficulty, specifically the "faster" version would be appreciated as I tested the "fast" version to the end, but not the other.

PonchGaming

Wow, seems pretty intense. Now this is bringing flashbacks of Darkholme Hospital Pro Mode :mad: . Gonna try it out, sees hows it goes.

Cpt.Glitch

Sweet, I will use my "skills" and try this out.

sm cory

TheAnonymousUser

Not sure if this is a bug, or intentional, but hugging a wall while standing still (so samus' animation stops) stops the health drain. (happens in both fast, and faster versions)

Provided my internet isn't taking a shit on a whim, I might stream one of these (probably the faster version)

personitis

Yeah, standing against walls to prevent damage was leftover code from something I was going to do beforehand, but somehow forgot to remove. <_< Fixed that up, v1.1 is in the OP. Also added an ability to saves that refills your energy to 99 if you save with below 100. Hopefully getting save-stuck will be less an issue, if one at all.

Steel Sparkle

Interesting concept. I may give this a go soon. Sounds fun for speed runners.

Steel Sparkle

Sorry for the double post but i came across a bug. I noticed the E-tanks save the game for some reason instead of filling your energy up to full but still give you the E-tank but empty. Now the bug i came across is when you die and reload the save the game freezes at the map screen. I have only seen this in the wrecked ship but i wanted to point it out.

personitis

I updated OP again due to my laziness about not feeling like debugging a small, yet interesting, issue that came out of left field in v1.1. Make sure you select 'Yes' when you pick up an energy tank or you risk screwing the game up. Yes, you heard that right. No, I'm not joking. Until then, if you're okay with this little bug that I'm feeling a bit lazy to debug today, then v1.1 is fine. Otherwise, you can use v1.0 and cheat damage with walls. I'll have a v1.2 up tomorrow or later.
Quote from: Steel Sparkle on March 01, 2016, 04:54:09 PM
Sorry for the double post but i came across a bug. I noticed the E-tanks save the game for some reason instead of filling your energy up to full but still give you the E-tank but empty. Now the bug i came across is when you die and reload the save the game freezes at the map screen. I have only seen this in the wrecked ship but i wanted to point it out.
Well in that case, I'm just gonna remove v1.1 until that gets fixed.

In that case, beware of saving so as to avoid save-stucks.

What a mess this post has been. I think I've got the saving energy tank issue fixed, so v1.1 is a go again... Least I really hope so. :>_>:

Retroo

Just finished this, fun little playtrough.

Digital_Mantra

played the first patch of 'faster'. highlight segment of the game for me was phantoon, full panic. hyper beam didn't kill pirates during escape.

personitis

Yeah. I had the pirates fixed originally, but forgot to disable Ceres. Must've used another ROM when making the patch that disabled Ceres. Anywho, fixed the pirates and added an even faster version. First post has the update, now linking to the beta site.

MetroidMst

You saw my stream of Faster, and really, after Phantoon most of the challenge is gone. You still need to be aware, but it doesn't feel dangerous. I would recommend maybe looking at incrementing the rate of drainafter each major boss if you wanted to have more of that panic feel throughout the entire game.

Steel Sparkle

Fun hack :3
I have to agree with MST but he could always create a harder difficulty like "Insane" for those who want a thrill but then again if it was too fast too early it would probably be too hard. Anyways i liked this concept.

Cpt.Glitch

Perhaps you could make the damage rate increase when a suit is aquired. That way players would have slightly less insentive to get a suit early on and still add challenge for later portions.

JAM

No one today? OK. I'll do it this time.

I made even harder version of this hack -- Instant mode. Apply to any of 3 versions.

A Dummy

ROFL.  If that does what I think it does...At any rate I'd like to see someone beat it without cheating.
What am I saying? I'm sure you "win" by starting the game, and then you "win!"

Thanks for the April Fool, I was hoping someone would do something around here.