News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Fusion sprite editing?

Started by Cyber, January 27, 2016, 02:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber

Greetings. I'm new to this forum, but would love to get into Metroid hacking (Fusion and Super mostly).
I'm primarily a Gamecube/Nintendo 64 hacker, but I've fallen in love with you beautiful people of this forum and your very well established community, and want to learn about Metroid hacking. I was thinking about something simple. Perhaps swap Samus' sprites with SA-X's sprites. :P
I've downloaded Double Helix and I've tried looking for documentation for this in the README, but I didn't see anything relevant to this.
If anyone could give me a hand, please do. ^^

Quietus

Double Helix is kind of notorious for having very little support. There are a few who can help you with the basics, but you may wish to consider sticking with planning stages until BioSpark has finished his spangly new editor, which looks to do everything well, and may well have the graphics import / export options you need.

From what I've read, it may not be an easy task, as Samus's sprite is stores in lots of little pieces, which may make lining things up more difficult when you put the new sprites in.

There's also a lot of information regarding Samus poses and stuff here.

Cyber

Quote from: Quietus on January 27, 2016, 03:09:03 PM
Double Helix is kind of notorious for having very little support. There are a few who can help you with the basics, but you may wish to consider sticking with planning stages until BioSpark has finished his spangly new editor, which looks to do everything well, and may well have the graphics import / export options you need.

From what I've read, it may not be an easy task, as Samus's sprite is stores in lots of little pieces, which may make lining things up more difficult when you put the new sprites in.

There's also a lot of information regarding Samus poses and stuff here.

Ah, I see. Thank you for the information and heads up. :)

biospark

Yes, changing Samus's sprite is very difficult, since it's made out of parts, and there are tons of different parts for each pose. Eventually I'll disassemble the code that constructs Samus's sprite and add an editor or it, but it still means a ton of work for the artist, who has to draw all the individual pieces.

Other sprites, though, are pretty easy to edit.

Cyber

Quote from: biospark on January 27, 2016, 04:03:37 PM
Yes, changing Samus's sprite is very difficult, since it's made out of parts, and there are tons of different parts for each pose. Eventually I'll disassemble the code that constructs Samus's sprite and add an editor or it, but it still means a ton of work for the artist, who has to draw all the individual pieces.

Other sprites, though, are pretty easy to edit.

Oh nice. I actually just saw a fair amount of content on your YouTube channel, and I'm genuinely impressed with what you've showcased. I appreciate you making an editor. I honestly just wanna see a hack where SA-X is playable in Fusion, haha. I'd think since they share the same behavior table (theoretically) it could be an easy swap via ASM. But if not, a sprite edit would work, too.

biospark

Quote from: Cyber on January 27, 2016, 04:08:50 PM
it could be an easy swap via ASM.

No, it definitely wouldn't be an easy swap. They're not programmed in the same way at all (not sure what you mean by behavior table). The SA-X only has a few poses, so you'd actually have to draw a bunch of new parts (like hanging on ledges, or facing forward/backward). The easiest way would be to replace all the graphics and sound effects. That would be a pretty close match.

Cyber

Quote from: biospark on January 27, 2016, 05:41:48 PM
Quote from: Cyber on January 27, 2016, 04:08:50 PM
it could be an easy swap via ASM.

No, it definitely wouldn't be an easy swap. They're not programmed in the same way at all (not sure what you mean by behavior table). The SA-X only has a few poses, so you'd actually have to draw a bunch of new parts (like hanging on ledges, or facing forward/backward). The easiest way would be to replace all the graphics and sound effects. That would be a pretty close match.

Ah, so swapping the graphics. Sorry if my lingo throws you off. ^^; I'm actually (regularly) a Super Mario Sunshine modder, and we got Shadow Mario working as a playable character, and learned that he used Mario's entire behavior bank, so it was just a matter of swapping data.