News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

A.N.T.I. Contest

Started by Vismund Cygnus, September 23, 2015, 10:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vismund Cygnus

With all the entries in, please vote over here! This topic will now be locked for the benefit of those who don't pay enough attention.

Welcome to A New Thematically Inspired Contest (A.N.T.I. Contest) hosted by personitis and Vismund! The rules are somewhat simple: pick your Metroid game (we aren't Super Metroid exclusive forums!), follow the base rules, choose a few thematic rules of your own, and then make a totally awesome hack. :nod:

Base Rules
[spoiler]1. The hack must contain at least 15 but no more than 30 in-game rooms.
   * Save, refill, map, and boss rooms don't count toward room total.
2. At least one boss fight must be present.
3. The hack must end with the credits. How they're triggered is up to you.
4. No restrictions on assembly and graphics.
5. Upon submission, you must leave a description of how your hack ties into the themes which you've chosen (see Thematic Rules below) either in your submission post or in a readme.
6. If you're using Super Metroid, it is an absolute requirement to have Scyzer's improved ending percent asm applied and working properly to the hack. Alternatively you may write your own code for it, as long as when 100% of the items are collected, the ending displays such.
7. Give credit where it's due and have fun![/spoiler]

Thematic Rules
In addition to the above rules, you must choose at least 3 of the following thematic pairs which will decide what your hack is to be based around. After choosing at least three, you must then use one option from each pair (for example, if you choose the Past/Future pair and use the Past theme, the Future theme is off limits).
[spoiler]

PastFuture
ForestDesert
GloomyCheerful
AscentDescent
AlternativeConstraint
EnterEscape
CollectionSparsity
MysteryClarity
[/spoiler]

Rule clarifications and notes
[spoiler]
Base Rule #1

• An "in-game room" is defined by a portion of level data within a room header that does not connect at any point (sans exploits that would pass through solid tiles such as X-Ray climbing or ceiling clipping) during gameplay with another portion of level data in either the same or a different room header.

• For example, the above means that room 79AD9 or room 7D646 in a vanilla Super Metroid ROM is counted as one in-game room. Likewise, room 7CFC9 (due to super missiles) and room 7C98E (hall at the top) would make the rooms be counted as two.
  • Save, refill, or map rooms are not required, but suggested.
  • A room with a respawning enemy that can easily be farmed (AKA refill bugs) and does not contain any other enemies or items will be counted as a refill station room.
  • A room with a save station, refill room, or map station without any other items or enemies is not counted toward the room total.
Base Rule #2

• Bosses are enemies which are considered mini-bosses or main bosses in their original game (e.g. Bomb Torizo, Draygon, Crocomire).
  • If there exists a custom boss, whether it be completely custom or a rework of an existing enemy, please make note of it and make it of adequate difficulty.
Base Rule #3

• For Super Metroid hackers, you may consider having the player travel through room ID 7DE4D (activates the Zebes exploding state) or using Squishy's end game BTS (activated by touching a Fool X-Ray tile with value 03).
[/spoiler]

Time frame, submission, and voting

Anyone partaking in the contest has from September 23rd until October 31st to start, build, polish, test, and release a functioning and completable hack. That gives you more than 5 whole weeks!

Submissions will be accepted on the last week of the contest (Oct 25th - 31st) with the first submitted patch being the one which is to be judged on. As a reminder, please make sure you point out your thematic choices and describe how your hack is tied with them.

Judging and voting will be done openly with the public in the form of replies/posts. We've figured that it's worked out so darn well with past contests, why fix what isn't broken?

If you have any questions, ask. Otherwise, plan and spend your time wisely, good luck, and most of all, have fun!

PonchGaming

DSO

My bloodthirst is high, you're all going to get rekt.

Jiffy

I think I'm going to get myself into this. There is no better inspiration than a contest! :^_^:

Metaquarius

What's the point of rule #6, please ?

personitis

To have the ending total correctly displayed instead of having people guess or list items which show 100%. Also because there's no excuse to not have such a feature implemented as it adds, I think, greatly to the overall polish of any hack. Though I wouldn't argue against writing other code to correctly display the percent.

Quietus

Yeah, it's not actually that the patch is required, but the fact that so many hacks get released with weird ending percentages, and it's easier for people to use that than fixing it manually.

Metaquarius

So that is all right, then.

Quote58

Quote from: personitis on September 24, 2015, 01:42:35 PM
To have the ending total correctly displayed instead of having people guess or list items which show 100%. Also because there's no excuse to not have such a feature implemented as it adds, I think, greatly to the overall polish of any hack. Though I wouldn't argue against writing other code to correctly display the percent.

I think it's silly to require that, especially for those of us that prefer to write all the code ourselves. That being said, as long as we simply need to have accurate ending percentages, not the patch itself, that's fine.

Vismund Cygnus

Look, as long asin your hack, when you collect 100% of the items, the end displays 100% item collection, it's fine. We're really not going to know if you've coded it yourself or if you've used the patch.  :heheh:

Zero One

Let's also bear in mind how horribly redundant and redundant it is to code something that somebody else has already made to a very good standard.

Jordan5

Depends what you have in your hack, there's no point having a chunk of code for ending percentage if most of it (or something similar) is already in the rom.

DSO

I just bumped RoTF to remind people it existed and has a deadline in two days and not a minute later you've buried it again...

Anyway, I just wanted to mention how I'm doing.

Pose transitions - done!
Custom enemies - 1/???
Tilesets - 50%

And the first room is built and playable.

Now get busy so I can crush you!

Vismund Cygnus

Oh you think you're crushing? Well I have a breakdown for you:
Mad grafixxx: 99%
Siq map: at least like 75%
Rooms: no less than 10%
Insanity : 100%
How wrecked you will be: off the charts

Just face it
You've already lost
Concede now and save yourself the humiliation

Quietus

What's with all the wrecking going on? It reminds me of my ex, Stacey. I've got a part of my body that Stacey wrecked. :wink:

Grimlock

Quote from: Quietus on September 26, 2015, 11:03:23 AM
What's with all the wrecking going on? It reminds me of my ex, Stacey. I've got a part of my body that Stacey wrecked. :wink:

:whoa:  TMI???

More details are required, let me assist:

Hair Follicles - He tore them out

Heart - She ripped it out

Brain - She washed it out

Pants - She wore them... right out
           the door

DSO

After the turnout of the last contest, there is much, much wrecking that needs to be done. (Can't get reqt if you don't enter and I want to see more entries)

[spoiler]ALSO I DID A THING TODAY
USE CAUTION
[/spoiler]

personitis

Quote from: Quietus on September 26, 2015, 11:03:23 AM
What's with all the wrecking going on?
Mst started smack talking on IRC and it spread like an airborne disease.

Quietus

Quote from: Grimlock on September 26, 2015, 11:28:03 AMMore details are required, let me assist:
'Stacey Wrecked' = stays erect. :=x:

personitis

I don't want to get too far off topic, but I find that to be a damn clever pun. Contest is over. Quietus wins.

siddhartha__

progress post so i can keep my progress in check and make sure i finish in time (hopefully).
[spoiler]
Planning: 100%
Room design: 3/30
Room PLMs: 0/30
Room Items: 0/30
Room Scrolls: 0/30
Room Enemies: 0/30
Room Doors: 0/30
Overarching stuff: 0/3 (beginning, timer, endgame)
[/spoiler]

Lenophis

This is how wrecked everyone will be by this contest:

Quietus

SpoOkyMagician

Well, just wanna say, best of luck to the author(s)/entries.

[spoiler](and no, still not interested. Sorry.)[/spoiler]

~ SpoOkyMagician

DSO

I, uh... I... you'll see.
Today my hack improved by 1000%
Even MST stopped the smack talk in shock.
Anyway, tomorrow I just *might* get around to building rooms finally <_<.