News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

The Concerns Thread

Started by Metaquarius, March 06, 2015, 03:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metaquarius

It looks like a few other members have gained notable positions and staff team was renewed too but no news about it whatsoever, so I'd like to know what justify theses changes. Because when I see an administrator actually locking a thread in the name of "don't post in one-month old thread", I'm starting to get worried. I've seen also quite a bit of censorship going on lately (ie post deletion)

Zero One

It was a 3-month old dead thread whose question had been answered last November. This isn't the first necro'd thread that's been locked, and I'm pretty certain it isn't going to be the last.

begrimed

Metaquarius, if you're referring to me deleting Hawntah's posts in that Hyper Metroid thread, then calling that censorship is laughable. If you weren't talking about that, then could you elaborate? What is this "quite a bit" of censorship that's been happening?

To be "worried" is silly, by the way. Do you seriously think you or another ROM hacker would ever be put in a position where you couldn't argue your case to this community? We've only ever silenced out bots, irredeemable spammers and shitposters who are incommunicable and clearly only here to annoy.

Things have been slow with the administration. That's justification enough to change some staff members around and see if we end up with a more active roster. You're making this change out to be much more conspiratorial and heavy-handed than it really is. No big announcements have been made yet because we're still figuring out where to go with everything. If people care enough, they will ask questions or raise concerns like you have.

GF_Kennon

There is currently a large shuffling of people going on, its just going a bit slow for various reasons, most people are not in the right position yet ether, with various things going on in other areas of the site the forum has been getting the after thought of the century, but we will be making an announcement clearing everything up as soon as we can.

Cadarot

I come back to see what's up after all this time and all these bombs be droppin

What is this? Is this real life?

Hawntah

Quote from: Grime on March 06, 2015, 04:29:35 PM
Metaquarius, if you're referring to me deleting Hawntah's posts in that Hyper Metroid thread, then calling that censorship is laughable.
And calling it anything else is lying. Censorship is defined as "the suppression of speech, public communication or other information which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions."

Zhs2

The only problem is that this is the internet, and the kind of thing you're citing is the first amendment of United States law. This place is governed as if it was international territory, and, like I haven't been doing because I've been slacking at administration and generally not caring about who is being a bad user, the new staff are getting down and jiggy with telling you you're a shitbird for being condescending and generally completely unhelpful with your posting because they're doing their job. This is also not to say that such a thing is good, but instead that such a thing is probably nice when it comes to you. Please enjoy the opinion of a former administrator and feel free to continue posting under the new regimen. Have a nice day :^_^:

P.S. It would be funny if they removed this post in the name of censorship.

personitis

Quote from: Grime on March 06, 2015, 04:29:35 PM
Metaquarius, if you're referring to me deleting Hawntah's posts in that Hyper Metroid thread, then calling that censorship is laughable.
@Meta: I was under heavy assumption the above was due to lack of providing appropriate content toward the thread's topic rather than simply saying "disgusting."

A shift in administration isn't going to all that bad as our new admins are reliable and trustworthy people. As for the main site, that place has been up in the air for quite sometime and have stopped caring about it as it isn't my job. The information is there at the least and afaik we're seeking a proper and fluent way to display it all to guests and other like-minded viewers. Also...
Quote from: Metaquarius on March 06, 2015, 03:52:16 PM
Because when I see an administrator actually locking a thread in the name of "don't post in one-month old thread", I'm starting to get worried. I've seen also quite a bit of censorship going on lately (ie post deletion)
Nothing wrong here, Pretty much what Zero has said. Though not locking it wouldn't have done much but have another message or two appear and possibly confuse people over the time gap in the conversation that could've spawned. On censorship, see Zhs2's post.

All said, this place still looks intact to me. No need to be concerned over a moderation shift and especially no need to go kicking up dirt over some words.

Metaquarius

Uh-oh, easy man. No need to argue any further, I think GF_Kennon and Zhs2 have answered my concerns, Zero One someone could lock the topic.

begrimed

QuoteAnd calling it anything else is lying. Censorship is defined as "the suppression of speech, public communication or other information which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions."
Yeah, because I never said you could make another thread and take it up with me there. I also didn't repeat your entire thoughtful message for others to see after you cried censorship. I also didn't delete any of my own posts, or other peoples' off-topic posts -- except I actually totally did all of that. I did not censor you. You are not a victim here, you fucking victim. You are simply experiencing the snag of outside forces acting against something you've said.

Look. RealRed admitted to depression in his OP, and that his hack was basically the product of that, then you, with all of the collective dipshit smugness of every armchair critic whose life has been made more exciting by noticing a typo in classic literature, has to point out the first thing they see wrong in the most tactless way possible. Your post was also reported by someone as being "shitposty," and it's generally agreed-upon by everybody who I've seen discussing this issue that the text content of your post was indeed shit.

Could I have handled the situation better? Absolutely, but I'm not sorry either, and in a thousand alternate universes, I would hopefully do the same thing. You posted in the wrong place at the wrong time in the wrong way, which triggered a defensive reaction from me because it seemed to be trivializing a close friend's depression, along with all of the cool stuff he made in spite of it. So, there's my excuse for being an asshole. Do you have one?