News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Recording

Started by softglow, October 25, 2013, 10:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

softglow

How do y'all record runs of Super Metroid?

I tried using zsnes' recording feature but... playback is non-deterministic, apparently.  Sometimes the game events and input get out of sync and crazy things happen.  Playing the original ROM, instead of falling through the vertical door to Crocomire, Samus will "catch" a ledge and end up going rightward through the door above, then pushing her way right through a startling lack of enemies in a flurry of supers.  Even if I watch in real time and don't try to ever play/pause/interact, the playback gets borked at random.

My other attempt at recording so far has been to try Camstudio, but I haven't found any settings that give me better than 20fps.

Any advice?

MetroidMst

If you are trying to record, use SNES9x. ZSNES has issues that happen, which you pretty much described yourself.

Personally, I record audio with Audacity, and record a movie file in SNES9x 1.53. When I am finished, I play back the movie file, and record .avi files off of that. Then I combine them in a video editing program afterwards.

And for the .avi files, I suggest using this codec for it.

begrimed

I just used the DivX codec to record AVI files with Snes9X, which gets both video and audio. Always gave me great quality vids with very very good filesizes (all of my YouTube vids use it if you wanted to see for yourself).

Desyncing is just something that happens. I run into it with Snes9X too for longer videos, but never looked too deep into how to fix it. I imagine if you learned enough to hex-edit the controls of the .SMV file or something, you could manually fix desync issues yourself.

Quietus

Pretty much echoing the above here.  I always use ZSNES to play with, but for recording, I use snes9x.  As MetroidMst mentioned, you record your .smv, then play it back, and record the .avi from it.  It will usually sound all crappy and stuttery when you're recording the .avi, but that's normal.  As for codecs, it's mostly personal preference.

Edit: If it helps at all, I wrote a guide some time back about how to record movies with snes9x.  Some of the Youtube information may not apply any more, but the creation of movies is the same.  It's here, if you want to have a look. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

Another alternative that I use to record is the Livestream Procaster. An advantage being that you can use it to record game and mic audio as well as the game itself, and it'll record up to (and above?) 1080p. However it is also fairly intensive to run so you may need a higher end computer to use it.
Also, you don't actually have to stream while recording. You can deselect "automatically go live while recording" and that way you can record a run without needing a fast internet connection. It also means that you can use it for more games than just Super Metroid.

Just throwing ideas out there for you.  :^_^:

softglow

Thanks, everyone.  I got snes9x up and running, and it looks like I have a working smv->AVI pipeline.