News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] [ASM] Beam-Specific GATES?

Started by TAxxOUTBR3AKxx, July 26, 2012, 10:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAxxOUTBR3AKxx

I know it would be more than possible. It's pretty useless to have gates that take up 2 PLMs when you can just have a Door Cap that uses 1. I really only wanted to know if a simple hex tweak is all it takes to change which projectile will open which gates. This is how I wanted my setup:

Blue Gate = Ice Beam (duh!)
Red Gate = Wave Beam
Yellow Gate = Spazer
Green Gate = Plasma Beam

I was then going to manually re-color the Red Gate to Purple. Combined beams WON'T work on the gates. (Meaning you can't use Ice + Wave to open a left-facing blue gate from the right).  If that's too much, then combined beams wouldn't be a problem, as Wave in my hack isn't aquired until late in the game.

So would a hex tweak suffice or would I need to somehow come up with ASM for this?

Also, I had a new idea for a new item that would be very useful. It would take a decent amount of ASM (probably) to do, and it's going to be the first ASM I attempt (with the exception of needed help lol).

Metaquarius

You should consider using beam-specific enemies instead, which might be easier to setup. All you have to do is to create additional enemies with altered vulnerabilities and make them look like gates or something else (like it was done in Phazon hack or Super Zero Mission).

Crashtour99

Or you could use the beam specific shot blocks patch I put in the collab thread.   :awesome:

Alternatively, I've been thinking about disassembling the gates anyway, if for no other reason than to try and find the source of the VRAM corruption that they sometimes cause.  It really shouldn't be that hard to tweak them to detect beam projectiles instead of other weaponry stuffs.  If I find anything I'll probably post it in here or the collab thread.

Cloud20

Like Metaquarius said, use specific enemies with edited weakness can be a good switch to open a door.
Look this, I've made it one year ago for a (dead) project.

I used four enemies, one for each beam, containing tiles and palette to make a glow :)
- Red : Wave
- Blue : Ice
- Yellow : Spazer
- Green : Plasma

This can be a clue if you want to work on beam doors

TAxxOUTBR3AKxx

Quote from: Cloud12 on July 28, 2012, 07:09:05 AM
Like Metaquarius said, use specific enemies with edited weakness can be a good switch to open a door.
Look this, I've made it one year ago for a (dead) project.

I used four enemies, one for each beam, containing tiles and palette to make a glow :)
- Red : Wave
- Blue : Ice
- Yellow : Spazer
- Green : Plasma

This can be a clue if you want to work on beam doors

But that in turn would cause it to be destroyed. Also, my thing is the reckless amount of Scroll and Arrow PLMs that I could use for gates due to being able to do orange and yellow scrolls.

Plus.....my hack isn't going to have many doors. Very few, actually. The areas connect like passageways rather than "rooms," so only boss rooms will NEED doors.

Qactis

A little ASM tweaking would change them from being destroyed when hit by the beam in question to simply opening the shutter/door connected to them.

TAxxOUTBR3AKxx

Quote from: Qactis on July 28, 2012, 02:00:43 PM
A little ASM tweaking would change them from being destroyed when hit by the beam in question to simply opening the shutter/door connected to them.

Though if it's found, we may not even need ASM tweaking. It could just be something we could change hex-related. It's easily possible, seeing as the type of gate already has a check for whether it's a Beam, Missiles, Supers, or PB's that will open them. Maybe the only ASM-related thing that may be needed is differntiating WHICH beam will open them, instead of just ANY beam.