News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

More RotW Bitching

Started by A_red_monk_called_Key, June 27, 2012, 06:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_red_monk_called_Key

it's mostly kids voting. that makes this a popularity contest. thats way i suggested new comp were the motivation for a vote would come from seeing a room you could run faster than everyone else, and voting that one.

squishy_ichigo

Are you trying to imply that the integrity of the voting is compromised, and that it boils down to 'who is cooler' in the hacking community?
I can't argue that 'joke rooms' have been previously submitted and have indeed been voted for, and that saddens me, but changing the format will not change who is voting.
The same 'mostly kids voting' will still be the ones voting.
Personally, I can't imagine voting for a room that I don't find to be great. I find myself not even voting some weeks just because none of the rooms stand out to me.  I kinda wish that other people looked at it with a bit more tact, but you can't force people to vote the way you want them too.
I don't see your new format being any different honestly, and this competition is already well established and is used to show off rooms that people are designing for their hacks.

A_red_monk_called_Key

good point, this thing may never be what it once was.

QuoteI can't argue that 'joke rooms' have been previously submitted and have indeed been voted for, and that saddens me, but changing the format will not change who is voting.
strongly agree

QuotePersonally, I can't imagine voting for a room that I don't find to be great. I find myself not even voting some weeks just because none of the rooms stand out to me.
me too

ProjectXVIII

I don't think there are many people who look solely at the names and go "Ya know, I like that guy more, even though his room is shit". Anybody who does that is pretty dumb and would probably bring the same level of ignorance into any contest.

Also, just for the record, few people like me (hell, I can name at least 5 people who hate me) and I've won RotW more than once.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

squishy_ichigo

I like to think the integrity of voting is still there. The only times I've seen 'bad voting' is weeks with less then great rooms anyways. People were just having a bit of fun on a slow week.
Again, I don't agree with this sentiment, just thought I'd point it out.

A_red_monk_called_Key

i quit voting when i saw two great rooms get less votes then a joke room on the first day of voting. that led me to the conclusion that those voters were young and just voted for there friend.

Zero One

Daltone for me; the layering looks awesome.

And on the subject of joke rooms; yeah, it will unfortunately soak up some of the votes and a large problem is that you can't deny joke rooms because it's still a room. Who decides when a room isn't a room? Walls and a door and you're sorted. We simply have to rely that people treat this as a serious competition.

But really, how serious can a competition be when it's about a single room in a hack that may not even be released?

Daltone

Lol, of course its a popularity contest, the rooms are judged solely on opinion, and popular opinion wins.
if it was what your talking about, project should win because hes around more then me, i dissapear for months at a time.
also ive submitted a joke room and only got one vote.

if i were to think of another contest i would say maybe a 1 hour comp, where everybody uses the same tileset, room, and space. Then make all submissions anonymous until voting is done. I would be happy o get the ball rolling on that but i currently dont have my own place or desktop pc. Maybe in a couple weeks i can.
remember its a friendly competition, have fun!

Katelyn

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on June 27, 2012, 07:24:00 AM
i quit voting when i saw two great rooms get less votes then a joke room on the first day of voting. that led me to the conclusion that those voters were young and just voted for there friend.
Because age is a very important thing when it comes to voting! >_>;

A_red_monk_called_Key

you don't get it.
young people base there order of importance when making a decision immaturely. Thats way you have to be 18 to vote for things like president.

Zero One

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on June 27, 2012, 03:33:53 PM
you don't get it.
young people base there order of importance when making a decision immaturely. Thats way you have to be 18 to vote for things like president.

...yeah, because the moment you become 18, your brain suddenly develops the ability to make smart, important decisions. Buuuuuuullshit. And you're comparing voting the leader of a country to who made the better room?

ProjectXVIII

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on June 27, 2012, 03:33:53 PM
you don't get it.

Actually, no. But nice stereotype you've got there...!

Zhs2

I'm rather disappointed you have such a low confidence in the community as a whole and hold such baseless stereotypes, Red-Monkey, but if that's your will I guess there isn't much we can do about it, all except to say that if you don't agree with how this contest is run, simply do not post. It's really that easy. The rest of us will be completely capable of messing around from time to time (as if any of the joke rooms would stand a chance of winning RotY) and still hold this fun little competition that is awardless and mostly meritless aside from the positive criticism and feedback people receive on their rooms. Thanks.

Malpercio

Oh my god, people try to have fun with a mini contest that nobody really cares about and that happens up to 52 times a year, my god they must all be immature faggots

Sounds legit.

A_red_monk_called_Key

Quote from: Katelyn on June 27, 2012, 03:08:57 PM
Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on June 27, 2012, 07:24:00 AM
Because age is a very important thing when it comes to voting! >_>;
this is clearly an attack.

look i'm not trying to make anybody mad. let me be the adult and say i'm sorry.
i stop posting in ROTW long ago for these reasons. i just wanted to state way i think ROTW is failing.

it's simple enough. that if its treated like a joke it will become a joke.
when squishy_ichigo first mentioned ROTW to me on IRC i was all about the competition. i didn't even know about it, i thought it was a great idea. a month after i started posting in ROTW it became a joke. i would love to see it go back to its former glory. but i no longer believe that is possible.

all i'm trying to say is i believe that young people are more pron the choose fun over taking something serious. and this would kill anything like a competition that people are serious about. i know this because i was the same way wen i was young.

Malpercio

That's an attack? then what was my comment, a thinly veiled act of war?

Also, joke rooms are uncommon and nothing to worry about. Aside from inactivity recently, RotW has been quite solid.

Zhs2

Thanks for apologizing, but seriously, I think you're taking this all way too seriously.
Quote from: Red-Monkeythis is clearly an attack.
All I can say is sorry this isn't the contest that you thought it would be.

Zero One

<ZeroOne> It's a fucking room on a fucking website from a fucking hack that might not even be finished. what

An attack? Really? Really? She's pointing out a logical flaw in your argument. Generally, when people on MetConst are lacking in brain cells, they aren't on MetConst for very long. Just because you acted that way when you were young doesn't automatically mean that EVERYONE under 18 is an auto-idiot. In the time I've been here, we've had what, 6 joke rooms? And I'm fairly certain at least 4 of which were in the same week because nobody was actually posting a legit room.

FullOfFail

I think you're highly underestimating the intelligence of younger people, Red Monkey. You do realize some of the best hackers in the world right now are teenagers, right? And I'm not talking about Rom hackers, I'm talking about the one's breaking into the FBI, and things of that nature.

In many ways, younger people have the advantage over older people because they can absorb information more easily (IE: learning a new language while young verses trying to learn it later in life).

As far as the influence issue goes, that can happen anytime in life. Not necessarily like peer-pressure kind of influence, but more like you have a friend that enjoys something, and you end up liking it aswell, where otherwise you'd be more iffy.

begrimed

The 'glory days' were simply a period of time in which there still was novelty in RotW. There also doesn't seem to be as many people hacking nowadays to submit. That aside, I posted a joke room myself once and it got a couple of votes, I think. No perfect voting system exists. The presidential election is like the furthest you can get from that, by the way.

A_red_monk_called_Key

Quote from: FullOfFail on June 27, 2012, 04:17:34 PM
I think you're highly underestimating the intelligence of younger people, Red Monkey. You do realize some of the best hackers in the world right now are teenagers, right? And I'm not talking about Rom hackers, I'm talking about the one's breaking into the FBI, and things of that nature.

In many ways, younger people have the advantage over older people because they can absorb information more easily (IE: learning a new language while young verses trying to learn it later in life).

As far as the influence issue goes, that can happen anytime in life. Not necessarily like peer-pressure kind of influence, but more like you have a friend that enjoys something, and you end up liking it aswell, where otherwise you'd be more iffy.

i totally agree some of the smartest people are young people. the prof is in the game, as you get older you can't beat your younger self. but thats not wat i'm saying. i'm saying the votes are made under a less mature order of importance. (friends being first)

squishy_ichigo

So what, is this Red Monkey vs Everyone Else?

I feel this entire situation is being blown WAY out of proportion. It's just a silly weekly contest we have for fun.
Both sides need to chill and watch some ponies or something.

A_red_monk_called_Key

This is all my fault. I lack the skill to compete in speed runs. and i would love to be part of some kind of competition. thats why i want ROTW to change so badly. i wont bring it up again. but i will secretly hope for a new ROTW

Quote58

I get where you're coming from Red-Monkey. I tend to take this competition more seriously than I should, and I do hate joke rooms, especially when I've worked hard on a room and want good criticism, and I feel a little robbed when a joke room takes my votes. But the thing is, you're taking your argument too far. Sure, there are some kids who will vote for people they like, or more probably, vote against those they dislike. I personally try to vote for the room I think is best, both in tile layout, and the rooms play-ability.
You need a little more faith in the community to vote for the room that's best. I would love for rotw to be more of an interesting contest, and to be taken more seriously, but that's not what it is. Even if it used to be that way, it isn't anymore. Rather, it's a fun way to get criticism and a little competition. When people post joke rooms, they tend to lose, and even if they win, the next week will likely bring forth legit rooms.
rotw is not a joke. Sometimes people just like to have a little fun with it. The really stupid/annoying people here do other stupid things and get kicked out. So you just have to put up with a joke room here and there.
You should consider hanging around in irc more. As for speedrunning, there aren't many of us who are really good, so why not have fun and race the rest of us sometimes?

A_red_monk_called_Key

words of gold Shadow96.

i wish i had my own internet connection so i could pop in IRC more often, but the comp i get on line with isn't mine.

QuoteAs for speedrunning, there aren't many of us who are really good, so why not have fun and race the rest of us sometimes?
would love too try, but i don't get much net time.