News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week Discussion

Started by A_red_monk_called_Key, June 14, 2012, 09:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_red_monk_called_Key

ROTW is a joke. this thing should die off Phoenix stile and give berth to a new monthly competition. maybe title screen of the month. or enemy of the month.

Quietus

To be honest, I partailly agree with Red Monkey.  The last handful of RotWs have all been a little trickle compared to older weeks, with some people having to jump in at the last second just to make up numbers.  Perhaps a shift to Room of the Month would be a good idea?

Zhs2

We have slow weeks now and then; this is really nothing new. As long as there are two people who are willing to compete, a quickfire contest like this is a good way for both people or more to receive valid criticisms about their stuff (as well as maybe garner a little friendly competition) and then we move on to the next set. Staring at the same set of rooms for a month would get kind of dull.

I will have to agree with Red-Monkey on one thing, though: We're pretty lazy about contests; if someone wants to organize one, all they have to do is throw me a PM. We'll work something out. :^_^:

A_red_monk_called_Key

here is an idea. keep ROTW, but change it to make the rooms challenging. at the end of the month the real competition could start.

Best completion Time of the 4 rooms of that month. BCTOT4ROTM

EDIT: thought about this for a minute.

this idea could be so much more. first thing, add and change some rules.  Like only 2 doors no more or less.
give samus all power ups except both suits, hi jump, space jump, and maybe all beams.
do not allow any liquid to cover any door.
every body uses the same graphic set.
and must be able to have full health at end of room.

at the end of the month all 4 room will be added to a ROM (i'll volunteer) with a end game PLM or BTS
release the ips first weekend of the next month. time pic due by sunday
most importantly the end of the year 52 room run! :whoa:

Quote58

I feel like I should make a room for this last day of competition. but effort. I might make one today. if I'm not too lazy.

FullOfFail

I understand what Red Monkey is saying, but that should be it's own individual contest/project.

Also, we've tried collab projects in the past and they never came to be. But, your idea seems short enough to be possible. If something like that started, I'd hop in.

Quietus

Quote from: FullOfFail on June 15, 2012, 01:53:51 AMAlso, we've tried collab projects in the past and they never came to be. But, your idea seems short enough to be possible.
I can't really see a problem with it beyond that of getting all of the .ips files together.  If Red Monkey is willing to plonk them all into one ROM, and set up an ending, then collecting them is all that we'd really need.

A_red_monk_called_Key

putting it together would be easy, just copy data in hex. I have no idea how to ending the game though. The only time consuming thing can see is organizing the enemy bank, but i think i could get it done in a day.

If people like this idea i'm ready to start by making a new GFX set. i'll pass the set to other graphic artist for more variety.

zephyrtronium

I made multips specifically to aid in composing patches from multiple people for one target, you know.

FullOfFail

Oh, we'll be using custom GFX? I almost think it'd be better to stick with the defaults, because not everybody uses custom GFX, but everybody knows how to use the defaults. But, if you propose a sexy tileset, whom am I to disagree.

MetroidMst

As long as I can make rad palettes.

Quietus

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on June 15, 2012, 08:50:34 AMI have no idea how to ending the game though.
Depending on how you want the hack to end, .ips patches were already made for a previous competition.  Check here.

A_red_monk_called_Key

my plain is to make a vary useable mix of SM GFX.

QuoteAs long as I can make rad palettes.
if DSO's color palette blend patch is added to the monthly rom, way not.  The color palette could be important to a challenge.

QuoteDepending on how you want the hack to end, .ips patches were already made for a previous competition.  Check here.
perfect.  Anybody like the idea of ending in a fifth room on M2 save station?

Quote58

to go along side rotw this sounds great. But zeke was right in that these have just been slow weeks. (mostly cause I haven't put anything up ;)
I like you're idea though, and if it comes to be I could finish some gfx sets I have in the works.

Ending sounds cool Red_monkey. I love the look of the save stations in m2.

Malpercio

My two cents: One of the best things about RotW is that we're not all forced to use Super Metroid, but it sounds like this idea would out of the simple necessity that every room be compatible with the same rom and lol at anybody other than me and maybe one or two other people NOT using super.

Zero One

I think we should stick with RotW. It is a fantastic way to get good criticism, see how your rooms stack up, post ponies, and, like Malpercio said, you're not restricted to just one game. Personally, I plan on submitting stuff from a custom engine.

On the subject of a collab hack, fucking yes. Provided, of course, that the team members can be trusted to actually do their shit on time and that whoever the leader is can actually manage it and place people with their designing strengths.

FullOfFail

Yeah, I think we should keep RotW too. It's not only good for constructive-criticism, but also a good way to subtly get attention for your hack.

I am still very interested in Red Monkey's concept, though. If you want to create a mixed-tileset, I'd personally be fine with that. I suppose just take a screen-shot of it and paste it here to get either a nay or yay from the masses. Maybe try to mix in atleast a few pieces from each tileset so everybody can still be in their comfort-zone.

Lunaria

I believe I suggested we should have done RotM instead of RotW way back when so the whole event thing would be a bit bigger. But I believe everyone and their mother disagreed with me back then, so whatever.

A_red_monk_called_Key

i think we should do both in the same thread. a posted room should get the chance to win both competitions as long as it fits in both competitions. the whole killing two birds with one stone would motivate me to post every week.

so here is what i have done so far. the color palettes are SM original. the graphics are set up this way so there can be more creative freedom with the color palettes. there is still some room in the GFX set, so if there is something anybody wants in this set let me know. i'm still adding variations of the GFX sets in the top right hand corner.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

FullOfFail

I could use that tileset, but that's only one person voting.

Also, about merging it with RotW, I'm not sure that's practical. See, we'd have to make new tilesets every week, but also many people may not want to enter as much because they're busy on their hack. These new contests should be held monthly, that way we'll have plenty of time to debate/make the tilesets, but also plenty of time to make the room to perfection.

Also, giving it more time means more contestants, theoretically.

A_red_monk_called_Key

Ok so thanks to JAM 52 GFX set are possible.

i don't know how this is to be done, but if the .ips are provided i'll put the 4 room ROM together and have it ready by the end of the next month.

the only thing is that each room should go left to right,

1) have 2 doors not submerged in liquid.
2) and possible to exit right door w/full health

i'll post that GFX set in the comun colab