News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2013 - Archives

Started by ProjectXVIII, February 19, 2012, 09:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

personitis

Lots of interesting and good submissions this week. Gonna be a good competition I hope! :yay:

Charmander106

Room for one more?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

passarbye

Quote from: Quietus on December 12, 2013, 09:05:43 PM
It always felt odd having slopes on the ceilings in ZM when I was tinkering with Double Helix, since I'm fairly certain they don't work properly. :^_^:
I use GameMaker to make my rooms because i can have a million layers and use any tileset i want simply by loading it in.
about 90% of my rooms aren't even functional in the engine i'm using, because the programmer that made it abandoned it and i feel no need to make them work.
though i would like to work on a project, it wouldn't live up to even the basics of SM functionality because the engine isn't complete.

tl;dr, the rooms i make don't really work, they're just pretty pictures in an engine that's long gone.
that isn't to say that i can't make them work.

Digital_Mantra

[spoiler][/spoiler]
lol

Vismund Cygnus

Dammit, I knew I should have made a good room for this week.

Crashtour99

Dman, although the little background image protrusions holding up the small platforms look a bit odd, that room...   my god...   You make me want to try coding metroid evolution AIs just for your hack...

Vismund Cygnus

So much sex, from so many different games. So who to pick?!

Snarf: that room makes me actually want to play Metroid, which is odd because I normally don't dig the hacks.

Pass: another sexy room, not much to criticise here, at all.

Hawntah: the room and the palette look good, however I think the issue is that the room really just seems like a bit unmemorable. Also, that rock in the middle looks a bit weird.

DMan: not enough people use that tileset, and you've managed to pull it off really well, which doesn't surprise me. The only thing I think needs to be changed is the blue platforms, they don't really fit with the rest of the room.

Baconface: awesome room, outside norfair is really cool. If I have any complaints, it's that the grass looks a bit too green and saturated for the rest of the tileset and the pipe going directly into the top left doorcap.

Charmy: I like the tileset, but it doesn't seem like there's much going on aside from that. Still, cool to see SotN tiles.

Myself: I really should have chosen a better room for this week, this one isn't really special. Wait until next week!

So yeah, I think my vote goes to Snarf for consistently making Metroid look the best it ever has. Congrats to everyone who made rooms this week though, all of them were fairly awesome.

Quietus

Lots of nice rooms this week, but my vote goes to BaconFace.  I love vibrant colours anyway, but the whole room has a bunch of neat little touches that add to its appeal. :^_^:

Digital_Mantra

baconface cause the second I saw the room I loved it. The face, mouth, throat, finger claws.
Try looking at that room from across the room. It's trippy.

MetroidMst

When snarfy posted his room, I figured my vote was a done deal already. Love me some snarfacious NEStroid rooms. And then I heard Baconface calling my name. Completely weird, oddball, vibrant, and goofy. Might be the best room ever. And he has the unfair advantage of being Bacon. Everyone loves bacon. And if you don't that's fine, more for me to strengthen my heart by making it work harder to pump blood through my RotW-viewing veins!

Oh, and the rest were also all pretty good. Nice tileset from Charmy, and otherwise solid rooms that won't stand out much in a hack. (Which make up 90% of hacks BTW. Every room is not, and does not, need to be a spectacle.) I think overall the quality of rooms is going up across the board. (Just wait until I enter again and drag it back down.)

passarbye

i thought we had good competition overall this week, which is kind of surprising honestly.
voted snarf though, that nesTroid is good stuff!

Vismund Cygnus

I might not be here for the weekend, so just in case, here's my entry.
[spoiler=Spot the elevator shaft][/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on December 19, 2013, 10:34:50 PM
I might not be here for the weekend, so just in case, here's my entry.
[spoiler=Spot the elevator shaft][/spoiler]

You wanna hook up later?
I was talking to the room.

Jordan5

Vismund's room looked lonely

[spoiler=Samus is going to need a scarf][/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Jordan5 on December 21, 2013, 09:41:12 AM
Vismund's room looked lonely

[spoiler=Samus is going to need a scarf][/spoiler]
I like that tileset. What game is it from? It looks familiar somehow...

Jordan5

I got it from Volta as the project died a while ago but it has some great stuff in it :^_^:

FPzero

Well now this is going to be awkward.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

You're not the only one stealing resources from my hack.

personitis

Jordan5

Quote from: FirePhoenix on December 21, 2013, 06:19:51 PM
You're not the only one stealing resources from my hack.

Quote from: FirePhoenix on September 24, 2011, 02:17:09 AM
Feel free to take any resources you want from the rom, I don't need them.  If I ever by some slim chance some back into SM hacking I'll start again from scratch.

:lol:

FPzero

Man, two years is too long to remember things I've said online.  Oh well!

Quietus

I'm liking Jordan's room, though I wonder how long it'll take to fix the obvious tiling error by the lower left-hand door. :^_^:

Hawntah

Hmmm..
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I wish more people hacked ZM/Fusion :/

Benki

[spoiler=Vismund][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jordan5]
:/
Otherwise nice tileset[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Firephoenix]
I really like this room except for the blocks located at the bottom, they look out of place to me.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=hawntah]Needs variations[/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

[spoiler=Me]This is probably one of the best rooms I've ever made, along with the other ones in the same area as it.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jordan5]There's a tiling error by the lower left door. The tileset is good, but I think that it looks a bit flat, the room itself need a bit more variation.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=FirePhoenix]Nice to see you back to hacking.  :^_^:
My criticism for the room lies in the strange layering of the metal blocks. some of them appear to be behind the icy tiles, while in other places they look like they're in front of them. To me, it sorta just looks off. [/spoiler]
[spoiler=Hawntah]Not a bad room. However, as Benki said, it needs more variation, especially in the background. Also, I think the mushrooms look out of place here.[/spoiler]

Quietus

I agree about the blocks in FirePhoenix's room.  Perhaps if they were slightly lighter, thy wouldn't stand out so much?

I voted for Jordan's room.  It needs some more terrain variation in general, and it could probably do with some more varied filler, but I love the clean look of the room. :^_^: