News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2013 - Archives

Started by ProjectXVIII, February 19, 2012, 09:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Nikoshiba

Not an entry but I'm workin' on a kind of rework of Project Iris...
Here's my "remake" of the Landing Site :

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

Hehe, Thanks, Zhs2! :^_^:

I think that Nikoshiba's was also not intended as an entry.

Anyway, I've voted for Quote, because he followed my advice with the filler tiles.  It's a great room, which manages to mix a few new tiles with a load of vanilla ones, yet produce something fresh and otherworldly.  Good work, Quote!

Nikoshiba

Thanks for the honor of giving me a shot in the Room of the Week contest but as this room is not my own job (only a remodeling), I'm not sure you have the right to participate ...

EDIT : My vote for Quote too... Unique atmosphere !

Cloud20

Quote from: Nikoshiba on September 30, 2013, 03:07:34 PM
EDIT : My vote for Quote too... Unique atmosphere !

Agreed. Theses graphics are unique, especially for the forest background  :^_^:

Zhs2

Quote from: Nikoshiba on September 30, 2013, 03:07:34 PM
Thanks for the honor of giving me a shot in the Room of the Week contest but as this room is not my own job (only a remodeling), I'm not sure you have the right to participate ...

Oh. I shall remove it then. Couldn't tell from your post...

Nikoshiba

Quote from: Zhs2 on September 30, 2013, 03:20:35 PMOh. I shall remove it then. Couldn't tell from your post...
No problem!
I just wanted to show my room but I did not dare open a topic because I have no idea where the project could go... ^^
I just wanted to know what the MetConst Community thought... Having 2 or 3 tips... ^ ^

EDIT :
@SMILEuser96 : Done ! Sorry for the inconvenience...

Smiley

Quote gets my vote. That's a very nice swampy area.

Niko: There's a topic for screenshots and videos in the Misc. hacks and fangames section.

Quote58

Thanks peoples, of vismund and jordan I would vote for the latter because it feels less generic, a pretty good use of the norfair tiles.

Quietus

I had a look at Flashback, as I remembered it having a nice swampy feel, but it was very plain.  The best one I can think of for now would be from Megaman X3's Tiger stage.  The larger trees and the railings are all flipped, which should save space, so I'm not sure how many tiles you'd need.  Anyway, they look like this:

Quote58

Well I came up with this earlier today, but I like that yours has a sky.

Vismund Cygnus

Yeah, Quote's room wins this week hands-down. There was no competition this week. Awesome atmosphere and great tiling. I can't wait to see whatever all of these rooms are being put into.
I need to rework mine, on account of the fact that 3490/3500 used tiles  :lol:
As for Jordan, you're definitely showing a lot of improvement. You're tiling is getting much better, that room is looking very well made. My only real complaint is that your background could still use a bit of work, generally if you're using a layer 2 background you want a bit more variance in the tiling, as opposed to just copying the same few tiles over and over again. Apart from that, it's a damned nice use of the Norfair tileset.
Another thing, have you experimented with custom palettes at all?

Quote58

Okay never mind about the background guys, I think I'm going to go with this
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quote58

"whatever all of these rooms are being put into."
Ya, I'm totally making something...definitely........I still have my last rotw tileset...........absotutely I do.....kbye.

Edit: Sorry about the double post, didn't notice that.

Vismund Cygnus

NOT EVEN RUNNING A DAY OR SO LATE
I've been screwing around with layering a bit recently, because it's something I find that I'm not really that great at.  :lol:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mon732

Vismund, I think you have the wrong url. Remember to right click on the image and "Copy Public Link"

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Mon732 on October 07, 2013, 11:56:18 AM
Vismund, I think you have the wrong url. Remember to right click on the image and "Copy Public Link"
Yeah, I accidentally grabbed the wrong link. It's 3am. Gimme a break.  :wink:

Quietus

A nice room, but you should consider either using different tiles with those pink 45-degree slopes, or creating some custom tiles, as they stand out like a sore thumb at the moment, and look like tiling errors.

Vismund Cygnus

I woke up and saw exactly what you meant.
This (hopefully) looks a little better.  :^_^:
[spoiler=Although, I just realised I completely removed one of the slopes. :P][/spoiler]

Quietus

That seems to avoid the problem.  I would add that if you have a slope above a flat like that, players can find them pushed into the floor if they unmorph under the slope.  To avoid this, make sure that the flat below the slope has the square BTS pushing upward.  Any players unmorphing, and being pushed into the floor, will find themselves pushed back up when they morph again, so they don't get stuck. :^_^:

FullOfFail

bump

Just was wondering if anybody else would be gracious enough to enter another room. This has been stuck in limbo for a extra week or two, and just felt the need to atleast prepare for the next week ahead. I could just recycle Vis' room to the next one, if need-be.

Mon732

Seeing as I just made this today and ROTW needs another room I thought why not.
I hope this isn't being posted too early but if I wait until Saturday I'll forget.

[spoiler=Room][/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

[spoiler][/spoiler]

MetroidMst

[spoiler=Like seeing Zeke in the morning][/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

Votey votey time!
[spoiler=Me]It's kinda a nothing room. That being said, I'm kinda proud of the fact that it looks like there's more than just 2 layers. There's not much actualy substance to the room though.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Mon]Another not too interesting room. The main problem here is that it's too obvious where you've just copied and pasted blocks. I feel that you could have done a bit more on the background in here.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=DMan]This, on the other hand, is quite pretty in it's simplicity. The only thing I think is off about this room is the weird stalactite-saliva things on the platform to the left. They look like they should be dripping downwards to me, not pointing up, but that's mostly a personal opinion.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Misty]You're insane.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=And the vote goes to:]Mst wins it for me this week. That room is crazy in its design, but you somehow manage to pull it off. There's only one problem I have with it, and that's the fact that sometimes it's difficult to tell what blocks are foreground and which are background tiles. But, nice work. I knew this would be worth the wait.  :wink:[/spoiler]