News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] [DEAD] Multiplayer Project

Started by Black Falcon, October 31, 2011, 09:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jathys

This beats the hell out of my multiplayer proof of concept. Hadn't thought of having each player have their own view via a cheat code. Was going to be limited to smaller rooms.

A possible thought for you... In network play, does:
(a) the game access the SRM file on only Player 1's computer
(b) each player require an SRM file?

If (b), you could have a value in the SRM files to tell the game which character to follow. Make sure it's in an area of the SRM that won't be overwritten.

Black Falcon

Quote from: Jathys on November 24, 2011, 12:16:43 PM
This beats the hell out of my multiplayer proof of concept. Hadn't thought of having each player have their own view via a cheat code. Was going to be limited to smaller rooms.

A possible thought for you... In network play, does:
(a) the game access the SRM file on only Player 1's computer
(b) each player require an SRM file?

If (b), you could have a value in the SRM files to tell the game which character to follow. Make sure it's in an area of the SRM that won't be overwritten.

Not sure exactly. The emulators get synced by either resetting the game or using a freeze file, but Idk if the SRM file is then updated, too.
Would be cool if it works.

Quote from: snipereighteen on November 16, 2011, 05:09:19 PM
Could I design some levels for your proj?

Sure, why not :D
Don't forget to mark possible spawn locations and weapon/item placements.
You can use whatever tileset you want.
If the map has an asymmetrical shape the items need to be well-placed to keep up the balance.
If you're done with it, send me either a pic or the .ips with the room and tileset and I'll implement it asap.

Credit will be given at the map selection screen! :)
Hm... that reminds me...

*goes back to disassembling of main menu routine*

ProjectXVIII

Any limits for the rooms, like size, FX1, items, etc?

Black Falcon

Quote from: ProjectXVIII on November 24, 2011, 05:37:02 PM
Any limits for the rooms, like size, FX1, items, etc?
Rooms should have a max. size of 0x4000 bytes (16384 bytes in decimal), but I think that's more than enough.
FX is fine, however enemies and PLMs should not be placed in the room, yet.
I still have to tidy up enemy banks and code the weapon PLMs.

Max. amount of maps in the hack is 60, so space shouldn't be a problem at all.
Oh and the max. amount of tilesets in the game is 23.
Can be boosted up to 29, but then the max. number of maps needs to be reduced.

Quote58

Idea: For level design, there could be some rooms that are reminiscent of fusion, zero mission, metroid one and two. They would have modified tilesets and be changed to suit multiplayer of course. I'd gladly make rooms for the project btw.

iRundas

OMfG. I cant beleave this, Please make motherbrain playable.

super nintendo hacker

Is this the best idea ever made?
Yes it is.

but PLEASE make the Torzio playable :D :D :D

iRundas

Gates would be effective. mini map to track positions/hotspots. That HUD thing u came out with. Custom suits patches created  individualy or in game creation... Ping display?  Time and kill counter all in ceres escape timer diplay. Omg king of the hill varient. Death of each player releases ammo and/or energy.... etc. ...

snipereighteen

Just a quick idea:

I thought of changing the missile icons to dark and light icons (with the number units as ammo) and the power bomb icon to an annihilator icon because it can use up the dark and light units.

However, in the MP2 type of way, 3 different beams instead. Use a couple of graphic, sound, projectory and text edits. Plus the main scripting too. That would be a lot of hard work. Anyway, just an idea.  :^_^:

snipereighteen

Quote from: iRundas on January 28, 2012, 10:39:01 AM
I really don't think that would work. If you have seen the set up for the Mother Brain, it's body is part of the BG.
As one player is moving around the level, the screen will focus on that player causing the Mother Brain body follow you.

Qactis

The same can be said for most bosses

dark_samus

so as an idea for telling players apart instead of having something floating above just put it on samus's shoulder might be kinda hard to see but just a thought :)
also you could make motherbrain a smaller player (about the size of samus?) again just a thought

Parabox

Quote from: dark_samus on February 19, 2012, 10:19:36 PM
so as an idea for telling players apart instead of having something floating above just put it on samus's shoulder might be kinda hard to see but just a thought :)
also you could make motherbrain a smaller player (about the size of samus?) again just a thought

Quote from: snipereighteen on February 19, 2012, 04:14:00 PM
Quote from: iRundas on January 28, 2012, 10:39:01 AM
I really don't think that would work. If you have seen the set up for the Mother Brain, it's body is part of the BG.
As one player is moving around the level, the screen will focus on that player causing the Mother Brain body follow you.

Please read, reread and think before posting.

dark_samus

couldn't you rework mother brain so that she was all one graphic? and not part of the BG?

Quietus

I don't think you realise the amount of work that would involve.

Crashtour99

I don't think many people realize how impossible that is (simply because they don't have a working understanding of how sprites are done).

Realistically every 8x8 or 16x16 pixel tile of an enemy (or samus, projectile, etc.) is a separate sprite.  Except for some bosses that use layer_2 for their bodies since the entire layer isn't even considered a sprite, it's just manipulated by the AI to make it seem as though it's part of the enemy.  There is a $32 sprite limit per scan line (horizontal shinespark into the ship at the landing site to see what happens when that limit is exceeded).  The ONLY way for such a large enemy like Kraid, MB, Draygon, etc. to be displayed is by cutting down the amount of sprites by utilizing layer_2.  It's a hardware limitation that the programmers did their best to work around.

Sure you could make a mini-MB using just sprites, but I don't think it'd have the same quality of fight if she's not towering over you.

dark_samus

ok just sharing idea's that I had

Zhs2

The creator is busy with real life and will bump when necessary. Quit with the "is this dead" bumps, they're not allowed here.

SMAKOPS

So.............. project died?

Quietus

Quote from: Autre31415 on May 20, 2012, 07:37:16 PM
Is this dead?
Quote from: Zhs2 on May 20, 2012, 07:45:28 PM
The creator is busy with real life and will bump when necessary. Quit with the "is this dead" bumps, they're not allowed here.
Quote from: SMAKOPS on April 29, 2013, 06:28:50 AM
For your viewing pleasure - an eyeroll emoticon: :eyeroll:

Black Falcon

Quote from: SMAKOPS on April 29, 2013, 06:28:50 AM
To me, yes. I will change topic title and update first post to clearify everything.
Reason: The sheer amount of work that needs to be done and lack of motivation.
(also lack of vram space for duplicating Samus)

If anyone understands asm and is willing to adopt the project, just tell me here or via pm and I'll give some advice about problems and how to use controller 2 input (which the game already supports, however only for debug purposes)
I'm simply not capable of doing any complex hacking anymore so please don't expect too much of me.
That's all.

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*