News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passarbye

that's actually really cool.
have you thought of making them spin in different directions and velocities? like maybe it hit a soft/hard spot on the enemy (not that you should code that) but the missiles spun out slightly faster/slower at random..

Altheaas

Quote from: Physix on April 23, 2016, 12:59:27 PM

I took a hit of this joint and I started testing my missiles underwater and I was just so feeling it and I felt like I had to post this cuz it was so beautiful in my mind or at least I thought it was cuz damn I was so high this looked better than it does now daaaaaaaamnnn hmmhmmmmm

Sooooo awesome. I love how the missiles still explode when they hit the ground <33

Cpt.Glitch

FelixWright

https://youtu.be/2KpxxRsupsM

Don't worry, the Super missile tank GFX are not corrupted. It's simply too many colors for this room -- looks just fine elsewhere.

Physix

Oh my god this hurts to draw pls help

Oh god there's like 4 more frames left oh god

Zero One

It begins! Slowly but surely!

EDIT:

And now Samus animates! It's a bit wobbly, but that's entirely because I slapped together the animation strip quickly instead of properly aligning everything. I think next, I'll try making animations fire notifications and see if I can make it play footstep sounds at the right times.

Betatronic

Quote from: Zero One on May 01, 2016, 04:38:55 PM

It begins! Slowly but surely!

EDIT:

And now Samus animates! It's a bit wobbly, but that's entirely because I slapped together the animation strip quickly instead of properly aligning everything. I think next, I'll try making animations fire notifications and see if I can make it play footstep sounds at the right times.

Hey dude, you should check out the program pyxel edit. I mention it because it's an excellent animation program and works in tiles, even for sprites. It can export animation strips and has great playback tools.

http://pyxeledit.com/

The wobblyness is probably coming from the center of samus not being aligned between frames. Very easy fix. Just make sure her head and visor are in the same spot.

Zero One

That does look pretty good! However, I want to try making my own set of tools for level editing and animation as kind of a portfolio piece. But that's definitely something I'll look at for a more serious project!

Scooterboot9697

I started using Super Metroid item menu graphics, along with RealRed's colored Samus sprites:

Though, these are mostly just placeholder graphics until I can get something really custom-like.
Because if I just keep using SM assets, my engine will end up looking like a hack. :lol:

passarbye

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on May 04, 2016, 04:36:45 PM
I started using Super Metroid item menu graphics, along with RealRed's colored Samus sprites:
awesome.  :^_^:
Because if I just keep using SM assets, my engine will end up looking like a hack. :lol:
why not include an option to switch between SM styled gfx or custom?

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: passarbye on May 04, 2016, 07:18:34 PMwhy not include an option to switch between SM styled gfx or custom?
Because not only would that require the need to have multiple of the same assets (custom and ripped), which would mean an increased file size, but it'd also be harder to code. Changing out ripped graphics with custom ones on the dime requires specifically coded drawing positions for both types of assets, and a lot of other stuff that I'm too lazy to do.

It'd be a nice feature, sure, but there's a reason it's not included in very many games. :bounce:

snarfblam

If you code for it from the outset, swapping skins is a simple matter of loading a different set of textures. I'm guessing you're already past that point though.

Physix

Quote from: snarfblam on May 04, 2016, 08:59:18 PM
If you code for it from the outset, swapping skins is a simple matter of loading a different set of textures. I'm guessing you're already past that point though.

It's more a matter of positioning said textures on screen. That stuff takes a lot of trial and error to get right.

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: Physix on May 04, 2016, 09:00:32 PMThat stuff takes a lot of trial and error to get right.
Or just use an image editor to create a template for the layout and then get the pixel positions that way... :colonrightv:

Physix

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on May 04, 2016, 09:11:35 PM
Quote from: Physix on May 04, 2016, 09:00:32 PMThat stuff takes a lot of trial and error to get right.
Or just use an image editor to create a template for the layout and then get the pixel positions that way... :colonrightv:

Still a lot of positions to get right. Still a pain in the ass.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: passarbye on May 04, 2016, 07:18:34 PM
awesome.  :^_^:
why not include an option to switch between SM styled gfx or custom?

Looks good man, in my hack I am trying to get rid of the metal grid around samus status window.
Never did like that in super metroid but eh :/

Little by little I am working with this hack, trying to keep it from crashing in so many damn ways before I release a temporary demo....  x_x

Lunaria

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on May 04, 2016, 10:30:46 PM
Generally you'll want to edit the ships palette if you're using these tiles, the ramp is not structured the same. Hence the ugly dark colour in the front window.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Lunaria on May 06, 2016, 06:21:12 AM
the ramp is not structured the same. Hence the ugly dark colour in the front window.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well it is your ship gfx, I've been thinking about plucking it out for awhile.
The ship window tile in the middle won't show up right but it shows up fine in yychr so I just don't know whats wrong.  :stern:

About the ground tile color and the ramp, the color of it will stay, the ramp is the original from the game.
I don't plan on bothering the landing site till the very end, appreciate the critique.

elol

Hey Dark-SA-X look good color palette that you used on the ship, I like that type color shade I like the background color and the shape of the doors, or rather especially when You will have a beta to play?
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: elol on May 06, 2016, 05:42:25 PM
when You will have a beta to play?
:grin:

Soon as I can verify crateria and kraid is playable without crashing probably sometime in june.
If not by then, just settle for a unknown specified time for a beta.
The difficulty will rise steadly as you travel throughout zebes.
You'll find out quickly some enemies are immune to certain weapons right from the get go.

Basically a Hard type version of Metroid 3, but you'll like it if your not to reliant on specific gear and doing back tracking like in metroid 1 and 2.

Dark-SA-X

Thanks Metty25k for lending me your old title screen graphics.
All thats left now is giving the roman numeral a black outline and making it metal grey.
No one has ever thought of this, I liked the metroid 2 title that much I wanted to give metroid 3 the same feeling.

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on May 09, 2016, 12:43:29 AM
No one has ever thought of this
Quote from: Dark-SA-X on May 09, 2016, 12:43:29 AM
Thanks Metty25k for lending me your old title screen graphics.
Which one is it?!

Anyway, tbh the whole thing looks like it needs work.
First up: the "III" behind the "Metroid text. The top and the bottom of each are misaligned by a pixel. It's not a huge difference but it's noticable enough even at that size, let alone playing in fullscreen. In addition, the III being cut off by the text looks incredibad. It shouldn't be too much work to connect the top and bottom together, and that way you'd also notice the tiles don't line up and be able to fix those up to.
There's also a whole bunch of random pixels floating around all messily and stuff (see the yellow pixel to the top-right of the text, the purple lines and stuff to the same side). It's not the worst thing, but it's messy and lazy.
Finally, there's something off about the font used for the word "Metroid" itself. I dunno whether it's the way that it's been downscaled, but it's really jagged around the edges.
You've made an okay start, but there's still a lot of work needing done on it, not just the paletting.

Physix

Yay it's finally done. Space Pirate Assassin with laser daggers and a sleek laser pistol that isn't shown in this image.