News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

ROM Disassembly

Started by herald83, September 16, 2011, 05:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herald83

Has anyone given thought to putting together a full, commented disassembly of the SM ROM, like SMW Central has of SMW?  I only ask because I've got some small chunks of stuff disassembled (not well commented though), and I thought it might be nice for others to not have to disassemble the same pieces later.

Also, thoughts on the implications of hosting such content?  My first thought was that it might not be a good idea, for the same reason we don't host copies of the ROM itself.

Figured this might be a good place to ask.

Black Falcon

Yes, some people already talked about disassembling the whole ROM (and i heard it's already in progress iirc).
Someone even talked about writing a program that acts almost like an emulator, ie it runs through the whole code and follows every jump (with documenting every step, of course). However you need a valid starting point, so that A, X, Y and stuck are innitialized correctly (among other things I may forgot).
Disassembling the ROM in general takes ALOT of time, and iirc SMW is not as big as SM.
I suggest being patient. Maybe one day someone killed the lazyness and ROM will be fully disassembled and commented...

Qactis

Yeahhhh. SMW is like 512KB, SM is 3023MB, 6 times the size. SMWC has been around since like 2000, so they got a good 6 years on us lol. I do want to try to compile everyone's dissassemblies of the ROM and at least make a document containing everything we've disasmd so far