News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Silence Hack WIP (Revised) Demo #2

Started by --NitePRx--, July 11, 2011, 01:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

--NitePRx--

Hello,
I need some ideas for my hack that i am making.
    Heres a link  to my hack video:
New Super Metroid Hack Trailer

I know the basics. I also learned some other stuff from Grime.

Again, plz give me good ideas.
Also, i need a NTSC rom with samus in her suit because i dont like it like that but i wanted to start from scratch.

Zhs2

1. Lmao @ the audio in your video. Nice job picking to record from the microphone.
2. If you read the rules, you'd know that idea begging is not allowed. We instead encourage people to pick up ideas from the content other people have made and shared, and develop their own style as a result. Taking a bunch of ideas from other people is only logical when you're putting them together as something you believe is worth enjoying.
3. Also of contention if you'd read the rules is that warez and begging for ROMs are not allowed here. Take some time to use Google. You may be surprised by the results.

Quietus

As for the suit problem.  I think you may run into problems later, because it sounds like you started your hack using a ROM that already had the Justin Bailey Patch applied.  When you come to distribute your hack later, this will cause this to be included.  This may not cause issues, as it's just graphics, but if any other changes were made, then nobody is going to have the correct ROM to apply your patch to.

zephyrtronium

If the patch is made using the JB one as the original, then there will be no JB in the patch.

--NitePRx--

this is my hack demo

Lunaria

No but really, I'm not downloading unless I know what it is. Hell, there is not even a description in here!

--NitePRx--

Hey, I don't know how to make screenshots. Tell me and I will when I am on it later. I don't feel like doing it right now. I don't have a description yet because it isn't finished. Sorry.

Lunaria

Most emulators have a built in screenshot function, if you can't use that then just hit the Prt Scr button on your keyboard then paste in an image editing program (such as paint) then crope the image down to only the screenshot, save it, and upload it to an internet host such as dropbox or photobucket, then post the image URL within brackets.

Katelyn

Quote from: --NitePRx-- on July 14, 2011, 07:50:52 PM
Hey, I don't know how to make screenshots. Tell me and I will when I am on it later. I don't feel like doing it right now. I don't have a description yet because it isn't finished. Sorry.

Have fun getting somebody to download this.

--NitePRx--

OOHHH ok. I will later. I will start a new topic fresh. Can i make videos on a SNES Emulator and show you that way?

Quietus

Yes, you can.  It still looks better if you have some screenshots, however, as people will usually open the topic, read a little info, check some screenshots, and then download the patch.

Kasel

Silver Skree

Quote from: --NitePRx-- on July 14, 2011, 08:21:28 PM
I will start a new topic fresh.
No. Edit your original post. If you REALLY want to get rid of the rest of the thread, ask a moderator to reboot it for you.

--NitePRx--

I now have a name. Super Metroid Silence! This is a demo only.

Zhs2

lrn2bbc img tags, please! I fixed 'em for you but keep it in mind for next time! By the way, the landscape is seeming pretty flat from those screens.

E1SUNZ

wow looks awesome since im new here how do i apply this to the game i have snes9x emulator with super metroid rom (obviously) where do i put the downloaded file?

Smiley

Ugh, why can't people do any research on their own? It's not that hard to do some quick Googling.

Once you have downloaded the .IPS file, use Lunar IPS or some similar program to patch it to your Super Metroid ROM. Your ROM must be a clean JU ROM, and most of the time it also has to be headerless.
Or, if your emulator supports soft-patching, put your ROM and the patch in the same folder, then give them the same name (if your ROM is named SMetroid.smc, name the .ips file Smetroid.ips), then play.

Kasel

It's because they are ignorant and expect us to do it for them.

Katelyn

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on July 17, 2011, 12:48:22 PM
Ugh, why can't people do any research on their own? It's not that hard to do some quick Googling.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

So this post doesn't get deleted...

Aren't enough pictures for me. Post an amazing picture and I'll tell you what I think. :awesome:

Also lol this is a demo. I just noticed this.

Zknight7126

Great design, a few more screen shots, like entire room ones in SMILE would really help. I will play this when I can... *idea* I could make videos reviewing WIP hacks.

--NitePRx--

This is my revision of my old demo. It is alot more challenging. I bet atleast one of you are gonna cheat and use smile to find everything. If you can addon a room, then i will put ur name on my support banner i will be designing. The filesize is too big, so i am using megaupload.

[Link removed (warez)]

Scyzer

1. Screens look pretty good. You need some practise making palettes though.
2. Megaupload sucks, and the only reason I actually bothered to go there was to check the next point. This is a common opinion in this community, so you may wish to rethink your upload options.
3. You have created the patch incorrectly. You would've been editing an unheadered rom, then chosen a headered rom (or the other way around) as the clean file when creating the patch. This results in a huge .ips file, which also contains the majority of the original game's coding and graphics, and is therefore against the rules to upload or even link to from this site (very important). Please take it down and recreate the patch properly. It should only be a couple hundred kb at most for a small hack, then you can upload it here.

--NitePRx--

Here is the new IPS.

herald83

Was up and bored, so I tried it out.  Here are a few comments.

- Do the spikes under the ship serve any real purpose?  One of my room design rules is "The fewer spikes in a hack, the better."  I know most of the veteran hackers cringe when they see a new spike-fest posted.  If spikes are your thing I guess that's cool though.
- Something happened to your Chozo statues.  The head and foot tiles are all replaced with other tiles.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
- I saw LOTS of unnecessary slopes and a number of tiling glitches.  You should try to tidy these up a bit.  No permastucks from tiling issues though, as far as I could tell.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
- You should consider making hidden pickups a little more obvious, particularly required gear.  I found the first missile pack while randomly running around shooting the walls, because the only obvious path out of the landing site was a red door.  Stuff like that makes me think about the game less in the "Oh this is fun to hunt for stuff." sense and more in the "I've been stuck in a room for 5 minutes, I'm done with this." sense.
- If someone skips the Morphball and goes for the missiles first, they would get stuck after dropping below the crumble block.  Do you need the crumble block at all?
- I think the blocks here (see screenshot) are preventing me from going back up after nabbing the morph ball, second missiles and E tank.  I stopped after seeing this one (it's late; need sleep).
[spoiler][/spoiler]

--NitePRx--

Ok, the graphics sheet corrupted and i had to redo my graphics. No biggie. I have a revision right here.

And the elevator shaft was made that way for a purpose. You have to sommersault onto it close range or it wont work. It is like that to confuse people.