The Great Metroid Construction Collaboration Hunt - Post your resources here!

Started by Zhs2, July 20, 2009, 07:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crashtour99

Apparently there is a conflict between my Beam Specific Shot Blocks and Black Falcon's Chain Blocks (one that I never noticed before).  Since I'd like to use chain blocks myself, I wrote up a little fix that allows them to be used together.  Instructions are simple, so have fun with this combo.

Crashtour99

Sorry for the tripple post, but here's some more stuff for those of you using Black Falcon's HUD.
Contains:
Fix for grapple glitch (if you are grappled onto something and use the HUD it breaks the game).
Anti-abuse timers for HUD and X-ray (so no Draygon or other enemy quick kills).

Have fun with it kiddos.
(There's still a slight glitch if you try to use the HUD and X-ray at the same time, but it's purely cosmetic/graphical and goes away easily.)

Qactis

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16496280/Super%20Metroid/Documentation/snes9xdebuggernotes.txt

Is an IRC conversation between me and Webber1900. I go over SEP/REP, X and Y a little, Logical Operations a TINY bit, and the functions of the debugger that I know how to use.

Note: I'm not a genius. Webber probably isn't either. I don't know everything there is to know about ASM, or Super Metroid, or the debugger.

Hope this helps someone.

herald83

This document itself isn't new to Metroid Construction, but I got pissed off from the constant scrolling motivated enough to spend the time to add bookmarks.

Programming the 65816, now with Bookmarks!

Crashtour99

Got some more great stuff for ya.  Basically every enemy/room projectile header I could find in $86.  Could have a lot of fun with this stuff (find where an enemy loads the value for the projectile header, and change that to change the enemie's projectile).  Some unexpected stuff in there too.  And if you know how to make enemies or PLMs, this could come in handy for some really neat stuff.

Have fun with it kiddos.

JAM

Finally did description of my another patch. Do you remember that I said to avoid using space from 78000 to 791A0 and from 7C215 to 7C800 after repointing PLMs? Just because...

136 new rooms
This patch allowing you to add 136 brand new rooms to the game, overwriting all PLMs in bank $8F. So, you'll need to repoint all PLMs first, using my or P.J.Man's patch and then copy bank $8F to another bank using program Bank Buddy. This patch is not unique thing and everyone who can add new rooms can do the same. I just made this patch to make everyone be able to use new rooms.

New rooms info
106 regular rooms
20 event state rooms
10 item state rooms

Files mdb.txt (with new rooms) and level_entries.txt (fixed version 1.1) are also included.

Please read credits, give credits and make backups before using!

silverpaw84

Quote from: JAM on August 22, 2011, 08:55:00 PM
Finally did description of my another patch. Do you remember that I said to avoid using space from 78000 to 791A0 and from 7C215 to 7C800 after repointing PLMs? Just because...

136 new rooms
This patch allowing you to add 136 brand new rooms to the game, overwriting all PLMs in bank $8F. So, you'll need to repoint all PLMs first, using my or P.J.Man's patch and then copy bank $8F to another bank using program Bank Buddy. This patch is not unique thing and everyone who can add new rooms can do the same. I just made this patch to make everyone be able to use new rooms.

New rooms info
106 regular rooms
20 event state rooms
10 item state rooms

Files mdb.txt (with new rooms) and level_entries.txt (fixed version 1.1) are also included.

Please read credits, give credits and make backups before using!
:whoa: Talk about a time saver!

Crashtour99

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rde_OK-Sfs[/spoiler]

Yep, screw attack blocks.
They use crumble blocks with BTS of $08
The tile displayed is $BF in the CRE (right below super missile blocks).
I didn't include any graphics so you can make the tile look however you want.

Note that they can only be seen via x-ray, mainly because I didn't feel like messing around with the bomb reaction tables.   :colonrightv:  Edit: Ok, I went ahead and did the bomb reactions for them so they display correctly when you bomb them.  They use the same collision routine for bomb detection as speedbooster blocks, so if powerbombs reveal those, they "should" work on these as well.  No guarantees though on that.

Have fun with em.

Quietus

Quote from: Crashtour99 on August 27, 2011, 07:26:51 AMNote that they can only be seen via x-ray, mainly because I didn't feel like messing around with the bomb reaction tables.   :colonrightv:
That's a shame, actually, as I've also used the Power Bomb Reveal patch, to make displaying tiles' properties easier. :neutral:

Scyzer

Just spent the last day or so working on this...

It completely rewrites the saving and loading routines. Maps are fully saved (meaning Kejmap is useless), $100 bytes extra are saved per file, and another $100 bytes globally. Uses a bunch of free space in $81, but meh. Who uses that bank anyway?

squishy_ichigo

Small update to 'template.rar' if anyone is using it.
Included is a fix to stop that annoying CRE related error quickmet was doing related to the CRE repoint.

http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,145.msg19288.html#msg19288

Draconis Kenjishiya

Hm. I'm having an issue here. The .ips for the actual 136RoomsPatch (in the IPS-titled zip file) won't let me take it out. It says it needs a password, and in the .txt, the password says "Read me first!" but that doesn't work; I copied and pasted it directly.

silverpaw84

Quote from: Draconis Kenjishiya on September 06, 2011, 12:22:01 PM
Hm. I'm having an issue here. The .ips for the actual 136RoomsPatch (in the IPS-titled zip file) won't let me take it out. It says it needs a password, and in the .txt, the password says "Read me first!" but that doesn't work; I copied and pasted it directly.
Hint:[spoiler]"the correct combination is..."[/spoiler]

I actually spent 3 hours running a password cracker to figure it out. Needs to be worded better if you ask me

JAM

Yes, it's not perfect. But does anyone have a better idea of newbie-protection? Just imagine of someone who will download the patch and wants to apply the patch instantly. He will notice that patch file is password-protected. So, he will search for the password, will find it and enter to unlock the patch. He will get an error message. What he will do next? I suppose, will search for "pass", "word", "code" or something. So if I write something like "correct password is ...", then the newbie will find it easily, unlock the patch, apply to his hack and corrupt the doorshells, items and other PLMs if PLMs were not repointed. And all of us know, that not everyone is making backups often. A lot of people staring are making them only after serious screwup

Zhs2

I found the password easily enough, but of course I was looking for it and expected it to be somewhere that made sense (i.e. at the end of a line where the person reading the document would end up finding it after reading the documentation and all of the various warnings and such.) Still, though, it's questionable as to what exactly we stand to gain from protecting new people from themselves, as opposed to annoying older members with the same countermeasures. It may be infinitely more preferable to act as the people who end up screwing themselves over are a negligible loss and instead name your readme to something along the lines of "READ ME FIRST, otherwise you may permanently ruin something!.txt". The people who do take hacking seriously will take your warning seriously. :wink:

Draconis Kenjishiya

Ah. Haha. Make people actually read it. Clever. I just followed your instructions on here, so I didn't read the full .txt...guess I won't make that mistake again. Well played, good sir, well played.

silverpaw84

Scyzer

Or alternatively, if you know exactly what you're doing, get forced to read through a huge text file to find a password, which wastes time and effort.

IMO, if you don't read the file and screw up the rom, it's your own fault, but I don't see why forcing them to find the password will help them understand either: They will just scroll down to the password section, attempt to enter the text there several times, then give up.

squishy_ichigo

I didn't put a pointless password on my template patch, which deletes almost everything. :U

silverpaw84

I've got a small find for those looking to change the HUD colors. I don't know if this is where it belongs..
Quote1C5F - 10 to 20
HUD icons use yellow/power bomb door colors instead of green/super missile door colors when selected (found by Black Falcon).
Instead, change 10 to 18, and you get this:
[spoiler][/spoiler] However, while an item is being collected, the colors change [spoiler][/spoiler] and then go back to grey. Somebody might find this useful, even if its's not perfect

Smiley

Ever wanted to make shutters like those in the X-Ray room?
But just can't get them to stay still?
BEHOLD:

here's a step-by-step tutorial on how to make them. It takes a little bit of time and knowing how to use hex editors to do this.

1. Place shutters (enemy D53F) in your room, where-ever you want them
2. Save the room.
3. Make a copy of your ROM
4. Back in SMILE's enemy editor, give your shutters "Special GFX"
5. Save
6. Do a file compare between your current ROM and the copy (this is to find which bytes to edit)
7. The resulting .txt file should only show bytes that have changed from 00 to 04. It might show some other changes too; ignore them.
8. Go to those locations-1 in your hex editor (so if the .txt file shows that one of the offsets is 10A37B, go to 10A37A)
9. You'll see 04 00 in this location. Change it to FF FF and save.
10. Done. Enjoy.

silverpaw84

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on September 16, 2011, 02:48:14 PM
Ever wanted to make shutters like those in the X-Ray room?
But just can't get them to stay still?
BEHOLD:

here's a step-by-step tutorial on how to make them. It takes a little bit of time and knowing how to use hex editors to do this.

1. Place shutters (enemy D53F) in your room, where-ever you want them
2. Save the room.
3. Make a copy of your ROM
4. Back in SMILE's enemy editor, give your shutters "Special GFX"
5. Save
6. Do a file compare between your current ROM and the copy (this is to find which bytes to edit)
7. The resulting .txt file should only show bytes that have changed from 00 to 04. It might show some other changes too; ignore them.
8. Go to those locations-1 in your hex editor (so if the .txt file shows that one of the offsets is 10A37B, go to 10A37A)
9. You'll see 04 00 in this location. Change it to FF FF and save.
10. Done. Enjoy.

Isn't that what "shoot to turn on" is for? By setting speed to XX03/XX04?

Smiley

Yes, but if you don't do that, they'll just move infinitely back and forth. The "Special GFX" thing is a timer before they move back to their original position. FF FF makes them stay still forever. Until you shoot them again, that is. Think of the shutter bridge a few rooms before bombs in Redesign.

silverpaw84

BigDomino

This is my first contribution in this topic.

A document who explain how to do a 3 rooms fully functional elevator.
The file contain a schematic but detailed representation of the elevator structure and all the appropriate settings to make it work.
I've done my best to make it the more clear and understandable.

Here's, a video I've made to show the final result + other elevator tricks.

Super Metroid [hack] - Elevators tricks demo

Hope it could be useful for someone.

- BigDomino -

PS: .pdf format is not mentioned in the "allowed file types" list.... I hope there is no problem with this type of file ? I put the file in a .zip archive...