News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Project: Delta Hive

Started by jeffvv16, February 18, 2011, 10:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffvv16

Well, I finally started on something official. So far it's pretty small but hopefully I won't disappoint....much...

I haven't got much of a story ether, I'm still working on that. A few things I've change are physics, palettes, for all of Samus's suits, weapons, power-ups, and some enemies and graphics changes to the ship, morphball, missiles, beams, etc... Plus a few things I probably forgot. This will take me a while to finish so have faith and this will be completed.

Here are some full area maps taken from SMILE and screen shots.
[spoiler=Large!]

[/spoiler]

Hope they're OK.

Nuju

Your graphics in the (previously) Old Brinstar rooms...  epic.  I was like, "Holy crap that's so damn AWESOME!!!!!"  Just when you think Super Metroid can only look so good...

jeffvv16

Thanks, but credit goes to GF_Kennon for the graphics. There located in the Main Site under "patches". All I did was use them. They do look nice though.

Zknight7126

You better finish this, this is my second most anticipated game now, behind Super Metroid Volta.

jeffvv16

Don't worry, I plan on finishing this. As this is my first hack, I want to make the best I can. Also I have come up with a back story for the game.

[spoiler]codename - HIVE

GF Investigation on an Insect planet - local life forms are to be exterminated for an upcoming teraforming project. Planet is un hinhabital to humans; a new home was to be descovered however, all planets in the (insert name here) system atmosphere's are toxic.[/spoiler]

Zknight7126

Quote from: jeffvv16 on February 22, 2011, 12:11:27 AM
Don't worry, I plan on finishing this. As this is my first hack, I want to make the best I can. Also I have come up with a back story for the game.

[spoiler]codename - HIVE

GF Investigation on an Insect planet - local life forms are to be exterminated for an upcoming teraforming project. Planet is un hinhabital to humans; a new home was to be descovered however, all planets in the (insert name here) system atmosphere's are toxic.[/spoiler]

Nice backstory, also I see you have put in Zero Mission and Fusion tiles, how could I NOT recognize those?

jeffvv16

Quote from: Zknight7126 on February 22, 2011, 08:37:33 AM

Nice backstory, also I see you have put in Zero Mission and Fusion tiles, how could I NOT recognize those?

Actually, there's only Zero's tiles, not Fusion's (as far as I can tell). I was using GF_Kennon's Frigate tileset. But I might as well use Fusion's later on in the hack to to vary things a bit.

Zknight7126

Quote from: jeffvv16 on February 22, 2011, 10:40:10 AM
Quote from: Zknight7126 on February 22, 2011, 08:37:33 AM

Actually, there's only Zero's tiles, not Fusion's (as far as I can tell). I was GF_Kennon's Frigate tileset. But I might as well use Fusion's later on in the hack to to vary things a bit.

Yah, the floors looked like fusion a little, but after looking at a few structures, they looked like they where from Zero Mission more than fusion. (Maybe I should work on my fusion hack...)

jeffvv16

Slowly I am making progress but by only small increments. But alas, I have more to show. A before and after shot of a room.[spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler][/spoiler]

It's not much, but I like it.

Quietus

That ramp above the door is asking for trouble.  With normal BTS on it, the player would probably be able to enter the door without opening the cap.

jeffvv16

While testing it out that did happen to me, so I will be fixing that shortly.

begrimed

You could keep the rampy tiles, just make the one directly over the door BTS into a solid block.

Zknight7126

Quote from: Grime on March 08, 2011, 05:23:17 PM
You could keep the rampy tiles, just make the one directly over the door BTS into a solid block.

Yah that is what I was thinking although it would look better if it was straight at the top of the door.

Edit:
The space doesn't look 1 thick, is it possible to still go through it?

Quietus

Quote from: Zknight7126 on March 08, 2011, 07:11:26 PMThe space doesn't look 1 thick, is it possible to still go through it?
It doesn't need to be one tile high.  As soon as you touch one of the door transition tiles, you begin the transition process.  In the example above, you'd likely end up in the walls or something.

Zknight7126

Quote from: Quietus on March 08, 2011, 07:28:42 PM
Quote from: Zknight7126 on March 08, 2011, 07:11:26 PMThe space doesn't look 1 thick, is it possible to still go through it?
It doesn't need to be one tile high.  As soon as you touch one of the door transition tiles, you begin the transition process.  In the example above, you'd likely end up in the walls or something.

So, if 1 pixel of your hit box touches it, it transitions? Also I would like to see a glitch with Samus getting just her head stuck in a block.

Fe

Quote from: Zknight7126 on March 08, 2011, 09:03:56 PM

So, if 1 pixel of your hit box touches it, it transitions? Also I would like to see a glitch with Samus getting just her head stuck in a block.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

So anyway, I see you discovered the 'wacky transparencies' effect in FX1. A neat effect, when used in moderation (aka don't overdo it). I don't really think it goes very well in that first room though... it doesn't really match. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Zknight7126

Quote from: XavierSMRH on March 08, 2011, 09:11:59 PM
Quote from: Zknight7126 on March 08, 2011, 09:03:56 PM

Yah, I wouldn't use it too often, try sporespawn's room though, I think if you use the right tiles it might have a nice effect...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

So anyway, I see you discovered the 'wacky transparencies' effect in FX1. A neat effect, when used in moderation (aka don't overdo it). I don't really think it goes very well in that first room though... it doesn't really match. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Yah it might not work well there, but in small rooms (boss rooms and item rooms possibly) it may look good...

personitis

First, for the sake of Squishy's (and probably everyone else's) sanity, hang loose on the quote tunnel guys. :/

On topic: you're making that tileset look pretty good there Jeff. :) Keep up the work!

Zknight7126

Quote from: person701 on March 08, 2011, 10:48:04 PM
First, for the sake of Squishy's (and probably everyone else's) sanity, hang loose on the quote tunnel guys. :/

On topic: you're making that tileset look pretty good there Jeff. :) Keep up the work!

Yah, if I had to quote that one more time I would have removed most of the quotes. Also those are Zero Mission style tiles.

jeffvv16

you're making that tileset look pretty good there Jeff. :) Keep up the work!
Thanks everyone, but as I stated before I cant take credit for the tileset, however I must say that GF_Kennon's Frigate tileset made old Brinstar awesome looking.

p.s. If I hadn't added the transparency the background would cover up everything; layer 1 and the sprite layer. I'm not sure why, though.

Zknight7126

Quote from: jeffvv16 on March 11, 2011, 09:22:57 PM
you're making that tileset look pretty good there Jeff. :) Keep up the work!
Thanks everyone, but as I stated before I cant take credit for the tileset, however I must say that GF_Kennon's Frigate tileset made old Brinstar awesome looking.

p.s. If I hadn't added the transparency the background would cover up everything; layer 1 and the sprite layer. I'm not sure why, though.

That does seem weird...

jeffvv16

Whether or not its finished or even playable at the moment doesn't concern me. What I have done isn't much but what is might be nice to see first hand. Here it is.

Fe

Interesting.... You seem to have good level design and GFX skills. But it looks like you're keeping the original game's layout. I would stay away from that If you are aiming for a full hack.

personitis

Hehe. Door effs up after you nab the missiles but others will looks pretty good so far. It also doesn't really matter if it follows the same room layout. Once you get past the start of the game with that layout you can still branch it out. Things just look more original when you change the rooms around though.

Palettes are cool though. Hex tweeks are fitting. Cool stuff bro.

Edit: Once you reach green/pink Brinstar the graphics get screwy. I don't know if it's because you haven't gotten there yet or because you overwrote something, but just a heads up.

jeffvv16

Quote from: person701 on March 12, 2011, 12:01:16 PM
Hehe. Door effs up after you nab the missiles but others will looks pretty good so far.

I know about the door.
I'm still trying to figure that problem out. Repointing doors isn't something I'm familiar with. Which is why I'm sticking with the original layout for now. After I learn some more tricks to make things more original, I will change the layout of the whole game.

Quote from: person701 on March 12, 2011, 12:01:16 PM
Edit: Once you reach green/pink Brinstar the graphics get screwy. I don't know if it's because you haven't gotten there yet or because you overwrote something, but just a heads up.

I also knew of this issue; Brinstar was the first area I started on. I overwrote the tileset 7 which is used in old Brinstar and in Green Brinstar. I planned on using a different set of tiles for each area. GF_Kennon's Gradius tileset for Green Brinstar and his Frigate tileset for the old Brinstar. As for progress; old Brinstar is where I'm at (So, yeah, I haven't gotten around fixing Green Brinstar's graphics yet.), and have been for some time, due to the aforementioned problem: That damn door.  Any help to get the two rooms to link up correctly would be greatly appreciated.