News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Major Bug/Huge Find! Makes Metroid 2x the map size.

Started by Odb718, March 20, 2019, 05:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odb718

I've been updating my hacks. For some reason, while editing Samus:MBR, I notice that my very top map is showing another map above it. Well that's impossible. But I was thinking, what if it's the very bottom map?
Low and behold I made a quick test.
You can keep falling through the map for forever. When you fall through the bottom, you go to the top....
You can climb from the top to the bottom...

The map turns to jumble just like when you hit the edges.
BUT
On the 9th loop, the map works again.

One extremely weird thing that happens is loops 2 - 8, the items/power ups aren't where they should be. But they show up on the 9th loop; When the map works.

So this means you could go outside the boundaries above or below and no one would know. (Unless you're using the map)
If you used Inceptroid's Room planning method it would be pretty easy to have an extremely large map.

I was watching the map area to kind of keep track of how far I've fallen. I noticed that once I started seeing Ridley's face's sprites that's when the map started working again. I haven't tested 18 loops. It takes a pretty long time to fall 9 maps worth of maps.
I have a few more ideas I want to test out. Seeing as I think I'm in Ridley's area of the game's memory, I want to try some stuff out.

I have NO plans on trying to climb 9 loops of the map. It'd probably take over an hour.

Has this been discovered yet????

snarfblam

Yes, this has been discovered. The map wraps, but your coordinates do not wrap until eight times around (32 tall map x 8 = 256). So anything based on map coordinates (item data, password/save file tracking) will malfunction. The quirks for horizontal wrapping are similar but slightly different.

You can do coordinate fix-ups with screen load ASM, but you could already use screen load ASM to do screen warps for wacky layouts, loops, and wraps, so wrapping around the world map doesnt really buy you much.

DannyPlaysSomeGames

Does this mean we need to talk about P A R A L L E L   U N I V E R S E S?