News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

INCEPTROID 1.0

Started by Odb718, February 01, 2017, 02:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odb718

INCEPTROID

This hack has you going deeper and deeper into the same space. There's only 3 elevators in the game yet there are 9 elevators....
If you pick up missiles in Brinstar they wont be there in Ridley... but if you got them in Ridley you cant get them from Brinstar....
Long Beam, Varia, Energy?
I just exited Norfair from this elevator, how is it bringing me to Kraid?
Wasnt this where I fought Ridley? How are there 2 missiles here now?
There was a 10x missile door here, but I blew it up in Norfair, now it's gone EVERYWHERE?????

This hack was a test to see if all of my ideas would work. They seem to. Wave Beam walls work great. Mutliple elevators out of Ridley and Norfair. 
There may be one mess up with Ridley to Norfair. I'm pretty sure I fixed it.

One tip to get you started, Going between Kraid and Ridely is a must. Once you get the Wave Beam, find all you can before getting the Ice beam.
But most importantly, CIRCLE BACK!!

Maps and Saves wont work on my hack for some reason. I've made this map to help out.
[spoiler]

RIP DAD
[/spoiler]

Scout1297

Looks like it is a good use of going into rooms that are meant for one area, while NEStroid thinks you are in another.
Will definitely try it out.

Odb718

Uploaded 1.1 to SendSpace.
Get it Here

I managed to get Metroid Plus 03 to work on top of the hack.
I've included a save sav file in the rar. Save 3 will allow you to play as Justin Bailey with no items. The save file should work with other Metroid.nes files. It may not work with every hack, but I think it does.

Changes include small graphic updates, a few enemy placements, and the messed up Ridley to Ridley elevator room is fixed.
I'll make a 1.2 with the correct map later. I'm trying to figure out a way to have the map switch for every area.

----
This is a basic map of the planet. As you can see it's not that big. Really it's 4x what you see because the areas overlap. I guess my first map confused more than 1 person.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I'll be releasing 1.2 soon with this map. The map you see is Brinstar and Tourain's map. Their layouts are exactly the same.
It'll switch between areas. As in, when you're in Kraid it'll show the path you cant take in any other area. Same for Ridley's area. All of the maps are slightly different; 6 rooms total. You can always go Up an elevator, just not always down them. I couldn't make the map illustrate that though.

Steel Sparkle

Sounds interesting. nice to see a NEStroid hack.

Odb718

Thanks. I put the final touches (I hope) on the hack. Just some palette changes and made the hard to get to room worth it in Brinstar. There's two ways you can get there. Wave-Ice beam and and awesome air jump and another way....
I think I fixed 1 or 2 problems. I think a 10x missile door wasn't popped on one side.
I made the first room in MB's room a little easier to get past. The jump was near impossible without freezing stuff.
There's 1 missile that wont save. I think I was at 115 missiles, saved, and dropped to 110, so I'm not sure which one in what area it was/is. I _think_ I've fixed it.

Download Inceptroid 1.03 here

epg

Quote from: Odb718 on February 06, 2017, 01:02:53 AM
Download Inceptroid 1.03 here

"Sorry, the file you requested is not available."

Any chance of a more stable download? Thanks! :)

Odb718

I've updated Inceptroid. A lot.

The extremely hard to get to room is worth it. And it works the way it's supposed to.
I've swapped two power ups locations (missiles and longbeam) so that the missiles can be obtained. Having 2 missiles on the same grid location will only allow for 1 to be picked up.

Most people miss this elevator trickery. So I made a video showing it in action.
https://youtu.be/2toeMlJ-eG0

Here's a gallery of a few locations.
https://imgur.com/a/EUGRNMI

And I'm not saying you should die in Tourain...
... but you should die in Tourain...

I've uploaded to SendSpace only so far. I'm looking for a more permanent spot. This should be the final version of it.
There's a crazy audio glitch when you exit Kraid back to Brinstar that's happened 1x to me. No clue how to reproduce it.

DOWNLOAD HERE

DonnyDonovan

I'm about 6 rooms in and sure seem to be permastuck.   I have five missiles and that's it.   I'm in a large horizontal room near the bottom of the map.   Haven't taken any elevators.  On my right is a missile pack in a passage that requires morph.   In the middle is a chozo that doesn't give anything.  On the left is a shootable block but I need a longer beam to be able to reach it.   

Odb718

.... you mean my 1 missile gate?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

There's another trick I dont think I've seen in other hacks. I have a Wave Beam gate also. So shoot walls with wave if you see something cool behind them.

DonnyDonovan

Of course.   That makes perfect sense.   Didn't think to try that.   I'll expand my horizons from here on out.  Hopefully you won't hear from me again for a bit. 

andlabs

Wait, am I supposed to use the save file and the empty save at the bottom? I don't have the emulator at the ready, but IIRC it had 0 missiles but let me collect missiles anyway; how many am I able to get?

DonnyDonovan

So this is interesting.   I think I'm getting a good feel for travelling between areas on the elevators and knowing where I'm going to wind up.  I have 3 e-tanks, morph, long beam, varia suit and 25 missiles.  In order to cover any new ground, however, I seem to need either (a) bombs, (b) wave or (c) high jump.  Maybe a small hint as to where I should be looking for my next item?  Kraid's lair in particular is the area where I seem to be able to get almost nowhere before reaching a wall I can't scale.

Edit:  Never mind.  I found a way to advance and got a new item that should help. 

DonnyDonovan

So this was a fun and interesting way to kill some time.  I see what you mean about dying in Tourian.  Never did find a way to get to the super hard to access room other than on the part of the map where it's not hard to access.  I gave up in what I think is the Mother Brain room in Tourian because I couldn't kill the Zebetite (sp?) before it grows back.   The rest of the hack was very easy. 

Odb718

I try to freeze a Rinka to stand on right in front of it. Mother Brain's room is as hard as I could make it while still giving people a chance. It's pretty deceptive that way. I've died there myself. The fact that there's almost 0 challenge getting up to it, I think it tricks you into thinking it'll be just as easy. I tried to make Tourain's hidden world as interesting to explore as possible. Since the room is so hard I switched spawning locations so your death wouldn't be so bad. I thought about hiding an extra E-tank.

As for the hard to get to room, Freeze+Wave+High jump gives you the best bet. Fall out the door, shoot, jump. Either try to land on the enemy you just froze or the top of the door. Another morph>stand>shoot>jump and you should be able to make it in. Kill all the enemies in the previous room so the 3 enemies spawn properly.

@andlabs It just switches to Zero Suit Samus for the play through. You should be able to get all of the missiles. If you're asking how many missiles you can obtain total, there are....4+6+3+3+5+1 missile locations in the map. Most, if not all, will miss 1 pick up. Most people will miss 3 in Tourain. And there are more than a couple spots that correspond to the exact same location in another area that overlap. So the exact total number you could possibly have, I honestly couldn't tell you. Sorry.
There's even a way you could miss 2 extra missile pick ups by not picking up the second one in the same room before you exit and return. So watch out for that. (Think Norfair's "boss" and in Tourain)