News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Separating engine works

Started by Grimlock, January 31, 2016, 05:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimlock

Engine works is a mess of mixed information from different games.  I think it's one of the areas of the site that could really be looked at.  Maybe pulling it out of the "Hacks and Hacking" section and placing it in a new "Engine Works" section would be a good idea.  Then it can be split into separate game engines much like the hacks and hacking section currently is split into various games.

Vismund Cygnus

I dunno about the rest of the staff (i.e. the ones with opinions that matter) but I can really get behind this.
With Rogue Dawn coming out soon it's possible we'll see more attention on hacking Metroid 1, and with biospark's Fusion editor slated to come out eventually, it would be good to keep the Fusion stuff separate from the Fusion board, where presumably upcoming hacks will be posted, like on the SM board.
Of course the solution would simply be to ensure people actually tag their posts correctly. But that might be asking too much, and I like the idea of having it all nice and neat anyway. I mean, if we can have an M2 board, why can't we have 3 separate Engine Works?

Zero One

It's probably fair that any game with its own editor is deservant of its own space in Engine Works, but I think it'd also need enough people actually using the editors to warrant it. Currently, only SM really fills that slot, which I'd be quite happy to split off into its own section. I'd say wait until Rogue Dawn and Biospark's editor hit and see what that does to the number of hackers.

Of course, I'm quite behind the idea, and if enough people - staff, editor creators, or otherwise - would like to see it happen sooner rather than later, I'm sure I can be convinced.

personitis

This is a great idea me thinks and likely the easiest solution. The next best one I've in mind would be to build a tag system into the forum where submitting a topic forces you to define (from a pre-built list) one of the games from, say, a drop-down menu which automatically appends the topic title and effectively becomes a sorting/tagging mechanism instead of having users type [SM] or [M1] manually.

DSO

This sounds like a good idea to me, but I'll also run it by James first. I remember we went pruning back when because forum stress was a concern.