News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Prime 64 or Super Metroid 64?

Started by Waker, September 12, 2010, 05:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which would you like me to develop?

Metroid Prime 64
2 (10.5%)
Super Metroid 64
17 (89.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Waker

Alright, soooo... realizing that not many people have the super-duper systems to emulate Prime, or some people just want Super Metroid in 3D, I've decided to take on a pet project.

It'll be developed by me, On the N64, hosted by either an SGI INDY workstation with a U64 board or an emulator with superb (read: SUPERB) debugging features.

(P.S: If you know of such emulator, please PM me with a link. I'm desperate, so I won't have to go trashing around the warehouse.)

The thing is, I can only do one. So I turn to MC, you guys. Which one would be better? It's YOUR choice.

(Anyone who asks to be on development will be met with a bitchslap.)

-Waker

Zero One

Prime 64 is a preference, but I'd be happy with either :D

Aerosol

Super Metroid 64 for me. I own Prime. I don't want to play it on an N64 emulator, nor do I want to buy a 64 and flash cart for the downgraded version of a game I own.

Plus, isnt that what Hunters is, for all intents and purposes?

zephyrtronium

I vote for Open M being completed first. :>_>:

Lunaria

Quote from: zephyrtronium on September 12, 2010, 05:46:36 PM
I vote for Open M being completed first. :>_>:
^

I lost a bit of faith in you as project leader when you made this topic.

Aerosol

Ever played a game and been stuck at that one part for hours, only to take a break and come back and its easy as hell?

Let the man have a side project to blow off steam on his main one. It's not a crime.

Waker

No, Open M is still on.

I have work, I have Open M, I have RL, and I have this pet project.

Open M comes first.

(THIS IS WHY I SAID I'D DEVELOP IT BY MYSELF.)

Lunaria

I know from personal experience that running several projects at once tends to be a bad idea in general. Not to mention that you're the project leader of Open M, the guy that makes everything come together.

You're free to do as you wish of course, it's your life/thingy/whatever. But I'm stating my opinion regardless.

Waker

Understandable cause for alarm, but rest assured, this project will go under development while Open M is in it's downtime (Aka... Now.)

I'll be totally devoted to it, but on the side, this project is suitable.

(Quick as shit to do too.)

Orel

What would be the idea around Super Metroid 64, would it look kind of like this?

[spoiler]Super Metroid Redux - Metroid 3.5D Tourian Construction 1[/spoiler]

I could go for something like this, too bad my Doctor V64 is broken though. =/

Waker

Kinda. Higher-res though, and dynamic lighting for shit. I KNOW HOW TO DO IT. :D

Orel

I say go for Super Metroid 64 then, we don't really need a watered down metroid prime, but super metroid with 2.5D graphics would look pretty cool if done right.

Parabox

Watered down Prime? Have you seen the beta stuff? I have, and it looked like a whole different game. Since Super is most likely to get a remake because of Other M, my vote goes to Prime.

Waker

I agree with the above logic. Prime 64 would be kinda awesome to have, but hey, it's people's vote.

begrimed

As a side-note: Don't make the same mistake I have in the past and enundate yourself with too many projects. If this interferes with OpenM's development, might be best to shelf it for a bit.

Lunaria

Rather then just making Super Metroid with 3D rendering, I thought this would be Super Metroid re-imagined in full 3D gameplay in prime style.

Kaskadenkarussell

Well, Waker isn't very clear about what he wants to attempt.

I'd both prefer, and love a 2,5D "Yoshi's Story/Mischief Makers"-styled Metroid Prime 64, definitaley.

Inspiration on general map layout, and maybe more than that, could be gotten from the remains of SCU's long abadoned "Metroid Prime 2D" - project, and working with all these 3d textures/models (whatever) from both Other M (->Samus herself) and Metroid Prime (->enviroments), as in ripping them, "scaling" them down to the N64's lower resolution output, and arranging & improving them to work within a 2,5D plane & engine may lead to a more polished, accurate recreation of Metroid Prime, and might be easier than builiding all this 3D stuff from scratch (I have no clue whether it would be easier).

I would probably keep movement along the z-axis out of the game.

Hope that you'll be able to maintain 2 ongoing projects at a time aswell.

Well, whatever you'll do in the end, good luck for both projects.

Waker

I'm still doing shit, mmmmk.

As for resources. I work for Retro. Enough said.

YOU PEOPLE, JUST SAY "I VOTE THIS OR THAT" D:<

ORIGINALLY... Prime64 would be a Prime remake, with traditional FPS elements.

SM64 would be the original SM brought to 3D.

I was considering SM for 3D FPS style as well.

paradigm0910

My vote definitely goes to SM64. Always wondered what a 3D wave/plasma/ice charge shot would look like.

Off topic: Okay, I've kept my mouth shut so far. Maybe this is just my cynical nature... but I feel like dropping a name of an employer so closely tied to the series may attract unwanted attention (wrath) from the big N... both for this community and that particular company (and potentially the employees as well). If my thinking is correct, the big N would see it as a betrayal and would probably seek retribution: C&D for us (perhaps ALL projects) and probably a lawsuit for that company. I may be more of a lurker around here than an active participant, but I love what this community has produced (and is producing) and look forward to that particular company's next endeavor... so I'd rather they not get stopped. My advice... edit out the name of your employer. I can guarantee that big N knows about this community, are monitoring it, and are all but allowing us to use their work/IP as a base for our own creations. I decided against writing this in a PM because since this is now public knowledge on the site, I think bringing that claim up any further would be inviting disaster.

Waker

First off, I'm from SnD. We play your hacks. Shut up about the C&D warnings.

For as far as I'm concerned, fangames are Ninty's pride. If it's good, they like it, if it's not, it's shunned out.

Second off, Why'd you post this here? You have something like this, go to another thread.

Third, C&Ds are lies. If any project receives one, it's basically an excuse for "I got bored and I dropped the project." Only a select few companies are so butthurt to ACTUALLY NUKE A FANGAME. What, is it hurting your profits? It isn't mine; I make six figures a year, plus benefits.

Fourth, and final, we in any sense, don't care that "the big N" is monitoring this community. We'd give a shit if they acknowledged us, but they don't, because they don't CARE. Take it from someone up in higher management, you're a bullshit troll; If anyone's monitoring this forum, it's retards like you who try to scare people into thinking that Nintendo is some kind of evil corporation capable of enacting KGB Mark 2.

Fuck off and don't come back.

</rage>

Oh, and I'd LOVE to know your employer.

Zhs2

Quote from: paradigm0910Off topic: Okay, I've kept my mouth shut so far.
Perhaps you should keep doing so?

interdpth

Quote from: paradigm0910 on September 14, 2010, 08:08:08 AM
My vote definitely goes to SM64. Always wondered what a 3D wave/plasma/ice charge shot would look like.

Off topic: Okay, I've kept my mouth shut so far. Maybe this is just my cynical nature... but I feel like dropping a name of an employer so closely tied to the series may attract unwanted attention (wrath) from the big N... both for this community and that particular company (and potentially the employees as well). If my thinking is correct, the big N would see it as a betrayal and would probably seek retribution: C&D for us (perhaps ALL projects) and probably a lawsuit for that company. I may be more of a lurker around here than an active participant, but I love what this community has produced (and is producing) and look forward to that particular company's next endeavor... so I'd rather they not get stopped. My advice... edit out the name of your employer. I can guarantee that big N knows about this community, are monitoring it, and are all but allowing us to use their work/IP as a base for our own creations. I decided against writing this in a PM because since this is now public knowledge on the site, I think bringing that claim up any further would be inviting disaster.

Yo dawg, I heard you like being depressed so I'ma depress you with some facts. So you can be depressed while being depresssed.

How could dropping the name of a person be anything?

That'd hurt them more then anything, where does that even come from?

Unless you're talking about Waker, but he's cool. They understand.

You confuse me.
If the case in point is Retro, he already mentioned them.
I dislike you.
And no one makes a profit from hax if they do their douching shit up.

Also

What SM64 DID YOU MEAN?!!!?!?!!?!!?!?!!?!?! I DIDN'T KNOW MARIO COULD SHIT OUT ICE BEAMS!?

Waker

Agreed. I'm in SnD, AND I part-time usually at Retro.

If you want to see a real C&D, I can get one from life, signed to you.

Just saiyan'.

Quietus

Guys, it seemed like Paradigm voiced a genuine (or so he/she felt) concern about the name dropping.  I think it was a valid point.  As Waker stated, they don't seem to care, so we carry on.  If Paradigm's wrong, he's wrong, and should be informed, but was it really necessary to rip Paradigm a new butthole?  I may be stepping out of line, and whatever comes comes, but reading your posts sound like the forum equivalent of a schoolkid asking where the bathroom is, and getting the shit beaten out of him for asking.

Since I'm here: Super for me.  I feel Prime is still fresh enough for me to not wish to see a remake of sorts, but would welcome the idea of playing a fully 3D Super.  It would feel really alien, despite every room being so familiar.

Waker

So I suppose the majority rules Metroid 64 instead of Prime 64.

Cool.

On a side note: He wasn't genuinely concerned. He was litterally threatening "omfg guys u gon' get C&D'd". That is not how this works, and I've worked long enough with "the big N" to know that we RESPECT the fangame community.

"dropping a name" was also a threat. He's basically saying he'll drop My name and you guys will get C&D'd, which isn't true, but he did it for the scare factor. It's pathetic.

I suggest you drop by Seattle so I can show you how many binaries of Project Base are on the FTP. Ice Metal is also making an appearance.

-Waker