News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Ice Metal 1: Uninstall [Ver: 1.4.2]

Started by Lunaria, August 21, 2010, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalsubstance

Okay, I think I may have found another glitch, but I bet it's one of those "you idiot!" FAQs rather than a true glitch.

[spoiler]
Anyway, I managed to enter Deep Ice from Surface with no power bombs remaining, and I'm stuck -- and the enemies won't drop any power bombs that would allow me to proceed.  If this is intentional, no worries (and thankfully I have taken the nearest save point before getting here), and lesson learned.
[/spoiler]

Edit: BIG OOPS - forgot the spoiler tags on this one.

Lunaria

Which path from the surface did you take to deep ice?

If you took the top path past the mega ball room you should have no issues with any door.  I'm also fairly certain there is no stuck point when entering from the lower area either.

It helps if you pinpoint exactly where you are. :<

metalsubstance

Here you go - some screen shots to demonstrate:

[spoiler]

The entrance I took to Deep Ice, after a fall through a long vertical corridor.  The blocks above don't appear to be destructible anymore to lead back up (so I'm guessing this path is one-way):

Continuing to the left:

And entering the door:

Further left is a set of power-bomb blocks that are blocking me since I'm out of power bombs:

The bug-eyed enemies and flying enemies don't drop power bombs - I don't know if this was intentional or if it was coded as such in the original SM.

I poked around the rooms a bit with my X-ray Scope and didn't notice any alternative paths or return paths in these two screens.  If I'm missing them, then I must really suck as a Metroid player even after all these years.

[/spoiler]

Thanks,
--Metal Substance

Lunaria

Actually, I'm pretty sure I made the flying bugs drop power bombs, I mean, I can go and check, but I'm very sure I did, just with very low drop rate (the flying ones.)

metalsubstance

I'll keep blasting them away until they drop one, just to verify.

Edit: and I got one to drop a power bomb!  Sorry for the false alarm and for taking up your time like that.

Lunaria

I should most likely raise the rate if I make another release...  =)

metalsubstance

For the record, I've been playing both the Justin Bailey'd and the unaltered versions of Repalette, and so far there are no differences in gameplay or any obvious bugs that show up from the JB patch (other than the title screen glithces, which IMHO are just cosmetic and shouldn't be bothered to be worked on).  If JB causes any bugs down the road, I'm sure they will be in the ending.

Now I did find a couple of map glitches elsewhere on the world map (in the "normal" rooms during gameplay).  I'll try to post screenshots of them when I revisit the rooms, but they didn't affect the gameplay or physics in any way.

metalsubstance

I have to say, that this is an excellent hack and it's been a whole lot of fun to play this one.  Thank you again so much for the hard work you put into this!

Now I need to....
[spoiler]
...get out of The Core, stock up on some more missiles and super missiles, and find that Charge Beam!  Ridley is kicking my butt!  I think I got here a bit too early....
[/spoiler]

JAM

Just thought. If 2 items are easter eggs, shouldn't they lead you over 100 percents in total? Like it was in Donkey Kong Country, where was hidden bonus room entrance in another bonus room. And the max possible result is 101%.

Also, nice to see that you are still impoving your awesome hack =)

Scyzer

I think the point of them being easter eggs is that you can't actually get them =/

metalsubstance

I just wanted to make sure that something was intentional and not a bug, and I haven't seen it mentioned here yet unless I didn't dig deep enough...

[spoiler]
Are the enemies supposed to get WAY STRONGER after picking up plasma beam and/or screw attack, or both?  When I came out of Draygon's lair, I found that it took multiple screw attacks and charged shots to take the weakest creatures down.  If this is intentional, then wow, awesome!!  I bet the original SM developers didn't think of THAT one! :)
[/spoiler]

Lunaria

It's not a bug, you're supposed to mix and match beams to find the good combinations, if there are any. :/

metalsubstance

Ah, yet another reason this hack is totally awesome! :)  I figured it was intentional.

metalsubstance

I just cleared the game at 87.5% using the Justin Bailey patch.  There were no additional glitches in the ending as a result of applying the patch.

[spoiler]
What a cool ending sequence!  That was a great idea to use energy instead of a fixed clock as a motivator to exit quickly.
[/spoiler]

jeffvv16

I am looking forward to the day a sequel is born.

Lunaria

Quote from: jeffvv16 on February 13, 2011, 07:35:38 AM
Don't worry, it's growing in my womb at this very moment!

snarfblam

Quote from: jeffvv16 on February 13, 2011, 07:35:38 AM

Edit: I thought it was a remnant from when you asploded. Either way, DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS [ALSO] A JOKE.

Lunaria

It's an in joke snarf. :p

EDIT: CAKE

biscuitbaker

Just started playing this hack today, however I ran into a possible game breaking glitch?
When I was going through Deep Ice, I ran into this
http://img97.imageshack.us/i/icemetal3.jpg/
This happened when I tried to go through this door
http://img17.imageshack.us/i/icemetal1.jpg/
I checked with the door a little ways above this one, and the same thing happens, except the doors(?) are orange instead. I can't get any farther to the right in deep ice without it glitching.
http://img51.imageshack.us/i/icemetal2.jpg/

Help?

[spoiler]can't get the img tags to work, bear with me.[/spoiler]

Lunaria

yes, this is a common and problematic issue. I'm still unaware of exactly what causes this glitch, therefor, I'm not able to provide a real fix for it. My suggestion would be to change emulator, as it seams to work for some people.

Zhs2

Quote from: biscuitbakercan't get the img tags to work, bear with me.
Link directly to the images in the img tags, not the locations on imageshack!

Riffman81

Crys, just thought you'd like to know, version 1.30 plays great start to finish on real hardware. I know I've mentioned before that it worked with the SNES Powerpak... but I went ahead and actually built a real cart for the game. All is well from start to finish. No real bugs to report. Although I'm sure someone out there could find some, as I'm not the greatest Metroid player when it comes to advanced tricks. Just wanted to let you know, as it's been months since I've posted. Let me know if I can help with Ice Metal 2 if it's still being developed.  :grin:

jeffvv16

I've always wondered what the two yellow squares are that are just above the energy meter. I guessing it wasn't intentional.

Lunaria

It's part of a gate glitch. They show up when you shoot the blue gate right before entering the dark dust section of sub terrain. (the foggy area.)

While I know very well that it's the gate that is the issue, I still opted to keep it in to force the player to find the secret path. (Or sequence break, if you can say there is any sequence in this game at all, and get wave beam. <_<; ) And I also have no clue on how to fix or why they show up. But since they do not impact gameplay in any way as far as I can see, I thought they where not much of an issue.

Riffman: It's nice to see you back. I was, in fact, going to contact you about 1.30 as you wanted to know when I got most bugs sorted out in order for it to be worth making a real cart. But... yeah, :effort: to send you a PM,  :heheh:;

metalsubstance

For whatever reason I thought that the energy meter glitches were some sort of debugging aid.