News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Ice Metal 1: Uninstall [Ver: 1.4.2]

Started by Lunaria, August 21, 2010, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunaria

Wave can also be found in another room:
[spoiler]The room under the elevator room between the upper and lower sections of steamfair.[/spoiler]

Screw attack is a bit trickier:
[spoiler]It can be found by breaking a section of speedbooster floor in deep ice; To pull this off though, you need to be able to perform one of two tricks to fall while speed boosting.[/spoiler]

Glad to see you're enjoying the hack though! <3

dsc

I am ^^ Thxs for the tips! I completed it with only 1 beam upgrade & no Screw Attack :3 playing it again

You should release a Map image of Ice Metals full map ^^

Lunaria

M1CR0H4CK3R

Uhhhhh... there is a map. It is at http://www.dubreuil.ca/MapStation/Maps/IceMetal.png

Nevermind. Crys beat me to it.   :razz:

EDIT: I personally think the map I linked is better, though.

Zhs2

4:22, 75%. I played this a while back about halfway through, then I quite badly wanted to play a hack recently so I did (the whole thing from start to finish over the course of a couple days.) A few complaints:

- I wish Plasma beam didn't suck so bad. Granted, it was probably the best thing to charge up (solo) for defeating Gold Torizo quickly, but even then Ice outdoes it for damage (solo as well.) But yeah, damn this hack for being one of those Metroid Prime-inspired beam workings things. Ice is so slow...
- The feel of exploration in this hack feels very inspired through the loop of Surface, Subterrane, and Steamfair. Once you reach Deep Ice, there are multiple paths to go and it still feels alright. However, this is the point where it starts to fall apart for me since it was rather grueling to get through manual Draygon (fuck that quicksand) and find that Plasma beam is the worst beam in the game. I almost didn't want to go back to Steamfair and find Ridley (the passage through the wall into The Core was really weird...) I blame the inclusion of more and more Air Fool X-Ray the further in you go.
- I made it through the final area with about 9 e-tanks (and all four reserve,) but having too little energy to complete the final sequence is a death sentence (I had 20 health.) Also, what the fuck at the missile station in GT's room.

Overall, this is a pretty alright hack. I wouldn't rank it highly on my list of personal favorites (probably some of the top ones being Phazon and RevoEX (I'm a biased bastard)), but still great in its own right. It's no wonder it won BO Top2010 (sorry it took so long for us to write those, by the way.)

Lunaria

Yeah no worries, I'm just glad the top2010 got written at all. :P

Well I'm not going to disagree with you, I am going to point out a few things that you may not know:
->Plasma beams greatest use is without charge beam. (And holding down the button!) It's a weak beam, but it's also rapid fire as all hell.

->The passage way in steamfair into the core was the one room I always freaking hated and I thought about nuking it several times. (Since it's just an optional fast track path anyway.) :>

->The missile station was added in GT's room as an extra reserve in order to make sure you don't run out of missiles. It's a bit of a iffy thing as I originally actually had that as an energy station due to the constant damage, then I realise that's fucking stupid since the boss fight would not be any challenge. Later down the line I placed charge beam there just in case people missed it since it hit me most people would have forgotten to go back up there and get it. :P

It's good to hear another person play through the hack, it's always one of those things I really like hearing! It's a shame it was not all to your tastes, but hey, not everything is great for everyone! :P

UltimateChimera

Alright, even scouring the map that you posted earlier, I cannot find a way to progress.
Currently, I have missiles, super missiles, the Grapple Beam, Spazer, X-Ray Visor, and Varia Suit.
On the map, the door at the bottom of the Steamfair vertical hall with the map and save rooms is blue. Dispite my best efforts, I cannot open it. It's grey for me. I went up to the area with Charge beam and power bombs, but of course, the door behind the shutter was grey. The power bomb tiles block me at the place you get the Grapple Beam and Mega Ball, preventing me from getting to Deep Ice. They also prevent me from getting to Lower Steamfair.  Judging from the map, the first set of powerbombs attainable is the set in the top right of Subterrain. But, the grey door blocks me. Help?

Lunaria

Quote from: UltimateChimera on June 24, 2013, 04:13:24 PMOn the map, the door at the bottom of the Steamfair vertical hall with the map and save rooms is blue. Dispite my best efforts, I cannot open it. It's grey for me.
That one opens if you kill crocomair, though I don't recommend you head down that way until later! :3

Quote from: UltimateChimera on June 24, 2013, 04:13:24 PMI went up to the area with Charge beam and power bombs, but of course, the door behind the shutter was grey.
This is the way to go to get powerbombs, the gray door after the shutter opens if you kill all enemies in that room! ยด:3

UltimateChimera

Ahh, thank you! I look forward to completing this excellent hack.

Digital_Mantra

I'm gonna play this one again tonight. If there were an award for most non-linear, this would be the best.
There should be an award for that. It's hard to make a fluid non-linear hack. Much harder than 'most challenging'.

Lunaria

Cool, it has had some updates since the initial release. I honestly did not think you would be ever interested in playing this again considering how many times you played through it during the beta phase! :p

aliceif

So I found a possibly game-breaking bug:
[spoiler]In Subterrane there is a somewhat hidden Save Station near Spore Spawn.
When you go to the place in the morphball tunnel where the screen transition happens and do a boost ball to the right, you can mess the scrolling up:

If you enter the save station, the room is shifted to the left:

And it even carries over when you go to a different place from there, like Spore Spawn's room or the first room in Steamfair.
And just for laughs, if you do the boost thing multiple times:
[/spoiler]
Otherwise, I really like this hack.

BTW, if it matters: I am using mednafen 0.9.29 (based on bSNES) as my emulator. And I am using the normal 1.4 version of the patch.

Lunaria

Yeah this is a known thing with the super metroid engine, doors needs to be on the edge of the screen in order to not fuck things up. Since the scrolling does not catch up you blast through to the door and glitch everything up.

Also this seems like something players may do on accident so I may most likely have to redesign that passage in any future versions to make sure the screen keeps up!  :portal:

ardh2005

Having trouble with getting the X-ray visor... I'm in the room and can see the visor, but it's unreachable... Sorry, can't figure out how to post the screenshot, but it's right under the ledge when you enter the room.

Lunaria

There is some very special conditions needed in order to get X-Ray which are achievable every time you enter the room.

The puzzle it self can be tricky to figure out but you could always try weird things. :>

Or, if you plain up just want the solution:
[spoiler]You have to leave the enemy alone and it will move around the room and break the tiles in the way of x-ray.[/spoiler]

ardh2005

Heh, figures that my "kill-'em-all" tendencies would screw me over... lol, TYVM.

Retroo

so it will be a 2?  :^_^:

Lunaria

Maybe, I have a second one planned out. But to be frank, I'd rather work on games I'll be able to sell.

Lunaria

A while back I had the pleasure of (read: horror.) of watching someone play through ice metal with the re-palette patch on. Obviously I was shocked at the horrible palettes in it and proceeded at throwing up as well as making another note for what I should do if I ever get my hands on a time machine.

I like the concept though, so I decided to work towards a new one. But some feedback on how these palettes look would be nice! I'm not entirely sure about all of them myself, mind you, but it would be good to get a second opinion on some of these things before I move forward.

[spoiler]

[Uneven number, because reasons]
[/spoiler]

21_Sigma

I have no idea of how many hours I've been lost in this one... Surely more than 10.

I don't understand why the beams are so badly underpowered, only option is to use missiles.

8 E-tanks, 4 R-tanks
Wave Spazer Plasma, and all Armor-Misc-Boots stuff.
205-35-20 Grapple and no X-Ray (seriously, it's nowhere!!)

Now, I was really troubled with the morph ball behavior, going speedy for no reason at random, until I got to the Screw Attack pit!
Right now I learned what the Mega Ball actually is, and you should have made it more obvious sooner! Its behavior is unique, yet there's not a single moment in the game that actually requires knowledge of it.
So, I know how to use the Mega Ball and am stuck in the Screw Attack pit. How do I get out?

Quietus

I had a quick look on the map, and checked a video, and it looks like you can exit quite easily.  A shinespark or a wall-jump should see you out.  What problem are you having?

21_Sigma

Oh my, Quietus, you're still around!  :yay:

Really it's about pulling off a Short Charge, it was almost impossible to do in one of the rooms before Kraid in Cliffhanger, and it seems harder here. Never truly understood how that actually works.

[E] Read how to do it, and am out of that unfunny hole. Which confuses me. Why they say it's about aiming updown rapidly when it's about timing the run button?

Quietus

Aiming up and down rapidly is known as Arm Pumping, and is a different trick.  It's almost exclusively used in TASes, so don't worry about it.

Quote from: 21_Sigma on September 21, 2014, 07:00:11 PMOh my, Quietus, you're still around! :yay:
Yup. :^_^:

21_Sigma

Managed to end the game. 'twas pretty confusing.

06:08 (not 10+ as I thought) and 88.4% (?)
That with finding the X-Ray only close to the end. Without the map, even.

I'll give that it was very good, but not that 'omg itz the bestest hack ev4r'. That spot is still held by Redesign.

And please, do use the Mega Ball! It'd be fun to actively need it. Like...
[spoiler]Something really basic: crumbling pipes.[/spoiler]

Lunaria

Mega ball is just boost ball with spring ball packed in. Honestly, I was not aware that there were bugs with it that let's you go through solid tiles. :I
To get down to screw attack regularly you're supposed to use one of two speed boost tricks to initiate a free fall while still keeping the speed boost state. :V