News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Ice Metal 1: Uninstall [Ver: 1.4.2]

Started by Lunaria, August 21, 2010, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAM

Quote from: Crys on August 11, 2012, 06:14:12 AM
If you know any other bugs or odd things that should be fixed, do bring them up now!
1. Change "PLANET ZEBES" on the world map to "NERION III" and area names (to what they are actually) on that screen maybe? Since it's a full hack...
2. Long escape version? Thing you've originally planned

Lunaria

1: I would change the text if I had a bit more clue where the data was and assuming it's simple to edit. I will look into this later, possibly.

2: Ice metal was originally planned to not have an escape at all. Plus, doing that I originally wanted requires someone to write a function that starts the ending sequence on a timer after you have entered a certain room. :/

Also, I updated the changelog with what I have changed more ATM.

metalsubstance

Quote from: Metaquarius on August 11, 2012, 06:23:20 AM
Quote from: Crys on August 11, 2012, 06:14:12 AM
- Removed the passage to beta rooms from steamfair, it was fucking stupid anyway. <_<;
Thankfully, this will also remove a possible bug in Ice Metal 1.30 that was already pointed out by metalsubstance last year.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
MetroidMst/ShyGuyExpress has also faced it during its Let's Play of Ice Metal on Youtube.

Indeed, the Energy Tank located in the west part of lower Steamfair (in "the room of Death" :lol:) has the same ID than the Missile hidden in the beta Speedbooster Hallway (which wasn't accessible in 1.24) Getting that missile expansion prevents you from getting that Energy Tank later which is relatively bad, considering the extremely hazardous room you have to cross to get it.

Anyway, I can just echo what most people have already said, this hack is great, can't wait for the sequel. Big thanks to Crys and the team.  :cheers:

I can indeed confirm that this is the case.  I have always picked up that missile tank in the buggy beta area hoping to have an extra item in my inventory.  In my latest session while playing this game, I decided to skip that missile tank, and the energy tank in lower Steamfair did indeed show up.  This was without the Justin Bailey patch.

bot01

please made this version you get charge early!

Lunaria

Quote from: bot01 on August 22, 2012, 08:18:18 PM
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No that would ruin the whole point of it.  :rfk:

bot01

Quote from: Crys on August 23, 2012, 05:26:22 PM
Quote from: bot01 on August 22, 2012, 08:18:18 PM
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No that would ruin the whole point of it.  :rfk:

aww :( ok, anyway im gonna play the new version ! i like it a lot.. thanks Crys ^^

MetroidMst

Getting Charge later is one of the more interesting things in the hack. Some hacks you can get Charge late just because you missed it, but Ice Metal makes you wait for it. It creates a different experience than most other hacks, where you get Charge early.

bot01

Quote from: MetroidMst on August 24, 2012, 09:58:23 AM
Getting Charge later is one of the more interesting things in the hack. Some hacks you can get Charge late just because you missed it, but Ice Metal makes you wait for it. It creates a different experience than most other hacks, where you get Charge early.

I just tought that this is an important factor of variability in the gameplay, and gettin it THAT later feels kind of waste... of course that is just my opinion.

Cheers!

messiahgov

Sorry to say that, but the "Uninstall" in the title and in-game title is dumb. Misleading and I really don't know what it means anyway. Even have a feeling to delete it out of the In-game title. But I can't hack it, I don't know how, but if I would know, it would be the first thing before playing and walk a single step in-game. Anyway, I give it a try. ^^

First I though you're saying
"Ice Metal 1" + "Uninstall [Ver: 1.30]" + "Prepare for 1.4!"

But no, "Uninstall" is really a part of the game title. Unbelievable. ^^ Is there a patch to get rid of this or what does it mean at all?
Also the "1" in the thread title is misleading, as if there would be a Ice Metal 2, but no, there's just a v1.4 under construction. So for what is this "1"?

Yes I think about such unimportant stuff. You're a brilliant hacker that fails to title the hack. ^^

MetroidMst

Quote from: messiahgov on September 29, 2012, 11:16:18 AM
Also the "1" in the thread title is misleading, as if there would be a Ice Metal 2, but no, there's just a v1.4 under construction. So for what is this "1"? ^^
Hacks aren't made overnight. 2 was in development at one point, and it was obviously planned when this was released. Not misleading at all.

messiahgov

And Ice Metal 2 would be "Ice Metal 2: Reinstall" or "Ice Metal 2: Setup"? xD I really dislike the "Uninstall" in the title. You can't use such a word in a gaming title! :D I know it was a hell of work and I haven't played it yet (just started, saw the title with "Uninstall" and closes the emulator - now I'm here). I won't complain about the hack at all, just about the title.

The title in the readme is "Ice Metal 1: Read-Me", no word about the misleading "Uninstall". Seems like there only v1.2 is described in the readme. Maybe this "Uninstall" idea came from v1.2 to 1.3. Since v1.2 the IPS is named "Ice Metal redux", yet another name. ^^

MetroidMst

It is his hack, and he can name it what he wants to. And if you play the game and read the story presented, through the map stations, the Uninstall will become much more clear.

messiahgov

Sure he can name it what he wants, but I think you know what I mean. For one who see the title for the first time, I think about something else, like uninstall some program etc. ^^ I play it tonight and if you say it become much clearer, I will be happy with that.

Lunaria

[Spoiler warning]
The uninstall in the title is an implication towards the main plot point of the hack, which is shutting down the aurora unit. Regardless, I don't really feel that the subtitle need to overly specific or anything; It's just there to make it easier for people to identify which game it's refereed to.
[End of spoilers]

And yes as MetroidMst mentioned, hacks are not exactly done over night. The second instalment IS in the works, Sadi has put in a lot of time and effort into making custom code just for it, and I do not intend that work to go to waste.

As for the 1.4 update, it's in the works and is pretty much done. But I am in the middle of two releases here, three even if counting the demo: IM:U 1.4, I can't draw 8bit, and I can't draw 8bit PureZC fall 2012 demo. It's not that I am not working on stuff, it's that I got my hands full. Most of my time is spent on my zelda classic quest, admittedly.

lobsel vith

Okay, so I have a clean version of super metroid, I use Lunar IPS to patch 1,30 into it, it says it's successfully patched, but when I load it into a emulator, it crashes or won't work. What could be wrong? The super metroid rom works BEFORE I patch it, and assuredly it works for other people.

Cloud20

Most of hacks works for an unheadered rom. The best solution is to find a super metroid JU (!) rom, directly unheadered, and patch it. Or take the original SM rom you have planned to patch, open it in smile, check the header in options and choose "remove the header", your rom is now ready to be patched

Quietus

For clarity's sake, an unheadered ROM will be 3,072KB in size, whereas a headered ROM will be 3,073, so you can easily tell.  If you find it's headered, follow Cloud's instructions above.

lobsel vith

Quote from: Quietus on November 06, 2012, 05:58:31 PM
For clarity's sake, an unheadered ROM will be 3,072KB in size, whereas a headered ROM will be 3,073, so you can easily tell.  If you find it's headered, follow Cloud's instructions above.

Okay, but looking at the .SMC, it says it's 3 mb.
Also, what's smile?

Zhs2

3MB, 3,072KB, 3,145,728 bytes for an unheadered ROM. You can find this out by right-clicking on the ROM and clicking properties. A headered rom will have 512 additional bytes, making for a total of 3146240 bytes (or 3,073KB.)

SMILE (Super Metroid Integrated Level Editor) is a tool created by Jathys, now largely unattended to since the whole debacle with Scyzer disassembling his program for private use. The latest version can be found at http://jathys.zophar.net/supermetroid/index.html, while others have created their own versions from the source code...

Lunaria

Hmmm... I should provide both header options for next release...

lobsel vith

Kudos to cloud 12 for the JU (!) rom suggestion, it worked and I got it running.

M1CR0H4CK3R

I just reluctantly started this hack and now I wish I had done so sooner. I've only just now gotten [spoiler]Power Bombs[/spoiler]and I'm already super impressed. The GFX are SUPERB, the new items and physics ROCK, and the simple game and enemy behavior modifications make the game interesting. I looked on the hacks page, and the description and pictures provided indicated to me that it was just another ERIS in terms of item progression. Plainly, I was sorely mistaken. Great job Crys. I think I might try Legacy next...

Lunaria

Version 1.4 of Ice metal 1 is out!

Get it here: [Link]

Change log:
[spoiler]- Rotated the morphball maze in the mountains.
- Fixed a few odd looking tiles in deep ice (Tile laying, not graphic editing)
- Placed the missile tank in the deep ice turtle room again due to me thinking the hack lacks a single missile tank. (Confirmation regarding item % would be nice.)
- Shamelessly changed the varia suit and space jump graphics to look more like prime series.
- Fixed the messed up mega ball pick up graphics.
- Changed the X-ray room again placing the harder puzzle on getting the X-ray rather then the secret passage.
- Removed the passage to beta rooms from steamfair, it was fucking stupid anyway. <_<;
- Fixed the hatch and door in kraids room not having the graphics the rest of the doors in the game used.
- Removed the fog in hi-jumps room.
- Fixed the surface map to reflect that there is a square you can't actually get to in landing site room.
- Nerfed the Zeela to do less damage. (It was planned (originally) to be used in deep ice, rather than dark dust.)
- Made the grappling points in one room of Poison Point more obvious.
- Made the confusing power bomb able barrels in the same room none-bombable to remove confusion.
- Removed a powerbomb block from Dark Dust that was not used for anything.
- Fixed the normal path to kraid not requiring walljumping if you have yet to pick up high-jump.
- Mega ball, IM Plating, and Crystal armour now provides the right name on both inventory screen as well as pickup information box.
- Rooms in steamfair that were hot before without "varia" is no longer so. (I might have missed a few?) IM is supposed to start you of with a varia-ish suit from the start.
- "Gravity suit" got new pickup graphics.[/spoiler]

There are some more small things I want to fix, but who knows when I'll get the time to do that? This version has a patch for both headered and headerless ROMs too. :>

dsc

I'm loving this hack ^^
I'm just missing

[spoiler]Screw Attack
Speed Booster
And All Beam Upgrades[/spoiler]

I've already located the last area of this hack ^_^ But I'm still hunting the items I'm missing. I know where 1 of them is thanks to a previous post I read & I think I know where it is
[spoiler]Speed Booster thanks to MetroidMst's 1 post[/spoiler]
Its the other 2 stuff I'm clueless on. Any hints anyone?

EDIT: Just got[spoiler]Speed Booster[/spoiler] a few seconds ago.... now all I need is the other 2

EDIT 2: [spoiler]Just found Ice Beam! ^^[/spoiler] Wow collecting that 1 item has just enabled me to get another ^^ I'll still like to know the locations of the items I seek

M1CR0H4CK3R

Charge [spoiler]can be gotten early with the speed booster. Search near the Map Station in Subterrane, otherwise, gotten right before the escape sequence[/spoiler]
Wave [spoiler]is in Deep Ice, in the only room that is exactly 3 tall and 6 wide[/spoiler]
Spazer [spoiler]can be found near where you found the grappling beam, requires wave beam[/spoiler]
Plasma [spoiler]Reward for beating Draygon, found in upper Deep Ice[/spoiler]