News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Exodus

Started by Kasel, June 20, 2010, 02:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kasel

Greetings.  My name is Kasel and I'm new to the forums here.  I'm also a newbie hacker (Sort of)  I don't know anything about ASM hacking but I'm fairly decent at level editing with SMILE, changing items around, and even repointing doors (Though I'm still not completely comfortable with it)

Super Metroid: Exodus is just something I'm going to be spending my time on for a while.  No background story, new gear, boss, ASM, or anything of the sort.  Just level editing and item arrangement.  I will, however, be accepting any sort of help from anyone in the community such as their ASM skills, possible level editing skills...Anything.  Of course it's voluntary, you don't need to feel obligated to help me with it if you don't want to.

Anyways...Just wanted to let you all know what was up and half ass introduce myself.  I will post more on this Hack when more develops so stay tuned.

Thank you,
         Kasel

UPDATE 1.0

Landing site is FINISHED!  Enjoy. =3

The Landing Site picture has been changed to show you all the new GFX set that's been put in play.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Update 1.1

Two more rooms have been completed.  Enjoy.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Kasel on June 20, 2010, 02:12:48 AM
I'm fairly decent at level editing with SMILE

Please post some screenshots of your level editing. Thankyou.

squishy_ichigo

inb4: <Zhs2> Screenshots or lock. Them's the rules, partner. Better hold up to that promise.

also: welcome to the club :awesome:

Kasel

Well I have a screenshot of my other project I was working on but may end up dumping it. 

First Screenshot
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Second Screenshot
[spoiler][/spoiler]

And the final Screenshot
[spoiler][/spoiler]

This was the first real editing that I had ever actually done and I think it turned out pretty good.  I'm sure the bomb blocks could be grouped together and a few other minor things (I didn't learn how to group blocks together until a few days ago and that was after that room was edited)

By the way, the SMILE code for the room that was edited in those screenshots is 796BA.  It's the long room with the crawling pirates just before the Old Mother Brain room.

DSO

Really good for someone who's starting out, you already have some style and room functionality going on. Definitely would like to see this developed.

Kasel

Well thanks man. =P  I was thinking of using that room for Exodus so that's the reason I posted it as an example of my editing skills.  Feedback. XD

Quietus

I agree with DSO.  There's a clear difference between somebody new to SMILE, and somebody new to the community who has been using SMILE already.  You clearly have a good grasp of the basic functionality of SMILE, as well as an idea of how rooms work.  Keep it up, and keep us posted. :^_^:

personitis

Quote from: Kasel on June 20, 2010, 02:12:48 AMAnyways...Just wanted to let you all know what was up and half ass introduce myself.
You... I like you already. :D Welcome to the community.

As for those screens, like Quietus said, there's a difference between someone new to SMILE and someone new to the community. Definitely would like to see more of your work as it's not to bad. =)

Also, the site's main page has links to documents, patches, and hex changes to further develop a hack just so you know. ;D

Kasel

Well I've been messing around with the files on the main page, trying to mess with the ASM and GFX files...But I can't figure them out for the life of me.  If any of you have a little extra time and don't mind explaining this stuff to me, I would appreciate it. XD  Samus2345@comcast.net is my MSN if you wanna drop me a line.

squishy_ichigo

You can always jump on our irc channel for some help, someone is usually always there that can help.

irc.esper.net/metconst

Not to mention its a great place to hang out even when we aren't talking about hacking. :D

Kasel

To be honest, I don't even know how to use IRC. XD 

Crashtour99

Hey Kasel, glad to see you drop over here from the AM2R forum.   :^_^:
I knew you'd fit right in.

If you use Firefox the easiest way to join in on IRC is to install the Chatzilla addon located here...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16/

Once that's installed just go to the main index page on the site here and go down to the "community" section and click on the IRC link.  It'll put you right into the IRC channel.  (you can even make it so that every time you start up Chatzilla it'll connect you to the channel)

Hope to see you around.  You've got potential.

Katelyn

Or you could just go to the main website and find the mibbit link...

Anyway, I think that this hack is going to be really good. :awesome:

Kasel

Me too. ^^  And with the help I'm receiving from you guys with ASM and GFX and stuff like that...I believe it's going to be epic.

Lunaria

All the design shown is very compact, keep in mind that samus is around 3 tiles high and needs around 5-6 tiles at least to be able jump in a good way.

Kasel

I know.  She will be able to jump fine though she may be a little constricted at some points.  As I go on, the rooms will open up a little more, have more places she needs to jump to get to, etc.  I got this in mind, man.  All will be well. ^^

Kasel

First post updated.  Check existing spoiler.

personitis

Where does the ship land? Or do you just start somewhere?

Kasel

You start where the ship once was.  I've got it so that you skip Ceres completely.  The ship will be placed elsewhere for the escaping sequence.

Silver Skree

Welcome aboard. You already know I like your landing site, and the screenshots, like others have said, show that you have a pretty solid handle on things. All you need is oodles of time to play around with it and 'level up' your aesthetic senses and skill with SMILE.

Good luck, and if you ever need one-on-one help with anything, you can always give me an IRC beep, PM, or Email and I'll be glad to help.

Quietus

Just a couple of things I noticed about your BTS:

Ramps only need one square block behind them.  Some of yours have two.
Whenever you have BTS like this:

The player becomes wedged in.  It's not so bad above a green BTS block, as they just get graphical oddities, but above a solid block it's a permastuck.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kasel

Just another little bug that needs fixing.  Thank you for pointing that out.

Kasel

First post has been updated.

MetroidMst

Something I noticed is you use a lot of slope blocks you don't need to. You have a lot of extra "square slopes" in each new room. You only need to have one after each slope, but you have two and somethimes three. Other than that it is looking great.

Kasel

Well I learned how to place BTS blocks by observing the existing ones in the room.  I'll be going back through each room later and fixing up stuff like that.  Thanks for the feedback ^^