News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Exodus

Started by Kasel, June 20, 2010, 02:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSO

Quote from: Quietus on June 22, 2010, 10:23:31 AM
Ramps only need one square block behind them.  Some of yours have two.

nop, there are definitely times you need two.

Quote from: MetroidMst on June 23, 2010, 05:18:11 PM
You only need to have one after each slope, but you have two and somethimes three.

For example, any slopes that can be shinesparked into need two or else the shinespark may end prematurely.

Quietus

Then surely you'd need two on all of them, since you can (theoretically) spark into any slope? :O_o:

Scyzer

Quote from: Quietus on June 24, 2010, 06:26:44 AM
Then surely you'd need two on all of them, since you can (theoretically) spark into any slope? :O_o:

Dunno about this. IIRC, Shinesparks move at 15 pixels/frame, which means it's impossible to travel through any 16 pixel solid block, due to the ASM which predicts the future position of samus to stop her travelling through solid blocks and slopes (this is why you can travel through the 8x16 rectangle slopes with a shinespark)

This means that slopes with a single square BTS after will be at least 16 pixels long (the lower you are relative to the top of the slope, the longer it will be). If you hit the slope so that you are just below it, you only need to move up a single pixel to be over the slope, and in the 16 pixels space you have to do so, you will hit the square slope without fail, and be pushed up the one pixel.
Now say you were at the lowest possible point relative to the top of the slope, the length of the slope is the 16 pixerls of the square PLUS the 14 pixels (I think) across the bottom of the slope. Depending on how fast you are going, when you hit the slope, etc, you could hit the slopes either twice or more times, getting pushed up each time. If you happen to hit it just twice, you won't get pushed up far enough to make it over the square block, and you will stop. The chances of this happening are quite low, because when standing on the ground and shinesparking towards a slope, you are already high enough off the ground to avoid this happening (depending on how your slopes are set up). SO I wouldn't necessarily worry about having 2 squares behind EVERY slope, only ones where that could happen a lot.

THat probably makes little sense to anyone anyway, but I did my best to explain :P

Quietus

It does actually makes sense. :^_^:

However, as I mentioned above, the only way to avoid this absolutely is to add two to every slope, but for the sake of 99.9% of slopes, and sparks hitting them, it's not worth bothering with.

X-tradyte

From what I've seen this looks pretty good. Are you gonna make any new palette for Crateria? If Not then you should be fine, i can see this launching at a B+ At the moment.   :^_^: