News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MDbtroid

Started by Infinitys_End, May 10, 2010, 06:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarfblam

If I had to guess, I'd say he didn't realize he was ripping off anyone but Nintendo. Even then, though, at best he grabbed them form a google image search without making any effort to look into it. I saw that you left a comment. Did you try to report it? If there's any ambiguity here, it's as to whether he's infringing your copyright or Nintendo's copyright. Neither should be permitted by Redbubble.

Grimlock

I guess nothing was ever done about infinitys game art, it's actually still available for $24 as a T-shirt print.

I was digging around to try and figure out what HEX changes he made to modify the walking pattern, I remember seeing it somewhere in the past.  I checked his lengthy thread at MDB but if it's in there I must have missed it.

Infinitys_End

Quote from: Grimlock on October 29, 2014, 12:37:43 AM
I guess nothing was ever done about infinitys game art, it's actually still available for $24 as a T-shirt print.

I was digging around to try and figure out what HEX changes he made to modify the walking pattern, I remember seeing it somewhere in the past.  I checked his lengthy thread at MDB but if it's in there I must have missed it.

That's correct; it's still there.
I come at it from a point of "Pissed it happened, but not caring enough to do anything about it."  I don't own the Metroid IP.  Yes, I created the artwork.  Yes, he blatantly stole it.  But in the end I released it as a free work.  Granted, I acknowledge that I need to put a creative commons license on it so hopefully nothing like this happens in the future.

I am sorry - I do not remember exactly which hex edits you need to do to change her run cycle.  If you haven't looked there already, the partially documented source code by Dirty McDingus might lead to some clues on where to change it.  I do remember that whatever was the case, I changed the hex in pairs to [hex] [hex] | [hex] [hex] | [hex] [hex] | [hex] [hex]  So... what that means is animation timing was 11 22 33 22.

snarfblam

What you're looking for is the animation tables. They are duplicated in each level bank, so you'll need to update them for each level. This is the run animation bit, which specifies a sequence of sprite frames to use. ($FF resets the animation to the beginning.)

ObjectAnimIndexTbl:

;Samus run animation.
L8572: .byte $03, $04, $05, $FF

If you want to change it to an A B C B sequence, it's going to be a byte larger, and I'm not sure how you would want to go about expanding it. Is this for Rogue Dawn?

Grimlock

Quote from: snarfblam on October 29, 2014, 05:49:03 PM
If you want to change it to an A B C B sequence, it's going to be a byte larger, and I'm not sure how you would want to go about expanding it. Is this for Rogue Dawn?

Yea, I was just looking at additional ways to polish up the hack.  I remembered reading a post by Infinity in the Roid'z thread regarding changing the run animation sequence.  I was curious what the required hex modification was.  I assumed it was a simple hex edit but based on your post it sounds fairly complicated.

Infinitys_End

I guess I should be flattered? http://www.shopflashbackgames.com/metroid-mother-p-430.html (as well as Snarfblam and DemickXII)
And I also guess I should expect things like this to happen?  Not too happy this guy is probably making a killing off of others' work.  On the other hand, it's probably a pretty niche market.

NARFNra

Yyyyyyeah, I've seen other hack stuff off that site, I'm not even sure what to think about them. It's really obnoxious but I don't really know if anything can be done.

Infinitys_End

Well, I contacted one of the people who runs the site and it looks like they're able to send me a copy as a show of good faith.  Glad the guy has some respect for the creators of the work, right?  Honestly, it's not something a lot of us can do a whole lot about.  They're hacks in the first place; a hack by definition is an unauthorized change to pre-existing, copyrighted code.  So it's just going further down the rabbit hole.  If he's made a successful business out of it, good on him. 

There's really nothing anyone could do or would do since the end result wouldn't be worth the means to do so.

snarfblam

Quote from: Infinitys_End on April 15, 2015, 08:59:06 PM
And I also guess I should expect things like this to happen?

Pretty much. If you want to be an optimist, you could take it as a compliment. No doubt, though, it's shitty form to do it without permission. If you want to play the hack compilation free, it's over here.

Grimlock

You didn't happen to tell them to send me a copy too did you?

http://www.shopflashbackgames.com/mobile.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=391

Actually, that reminds me... Bishop Bros was supposed to send me a copy of Incursion last summer...

Quietus

This has been discussed loads of times before.  In short, there's nothing that can be done.  It gets more annoying when they use hacks that are still in development, and are therefore not receiving the final product.

Grimlock

Quote from: Quietus on April 16, 2015, 06:13:56 AM
It gets more annoying when they use hacks that are still in development, and are therefore not receiving the final product.

They did that with Infidelity's Zelda hack.  Because of that I'm being pretty selective of who gets a pre release copy of our work in progress.  We'll probably open up a bit when we're close to completion and bring in a few more beta testers but we're not going to be doing any public beta releases.

Infinitys_End

Flashback Entertainment really came through.  I could not be happier with this cart.  I designed the label, too.
https://www.facebook.com/metroiddatabase/photos/a.300470956632741.83529.229645230381981/958939167452580/?l=b781bcfa7c

snarfblam

Label artwork looks pretty sweet. Is it just me or do the edges of the label at the corner look a little cheesy?

Quietus

It's looks a bit like they didn't remove the original sticker completely, rather than them using a dodgy sticker.

Infinitys_End

hmmm, maybe the photo makes it look that way?  A photograph lets you see all the minute details, I guess.  To the naked eye, those edges look completely fine.

snarfblam

Ah, must just be the way the light is hitting it.

IaGeu

Hey guys and gals, sorry for the massive bump.

I recently took my first shot at translating a game from the 80s with Metroid for the Famicom Disk System.
I stumbled upon this topic in the process and it provided some useful pointers on how to hack the title screen, so thanks for that. I found this thread when I wanted to implement the first truly official series logo. As some may have noticed, Metroid II's box art uses the same logo font as Super Metroid's box art and title screen, while the Metroid II title screen uses a unique, stretched logo that has never been seen again since. Anyway, see an image of the result here (linked as embedding doesn't seem to work):

If anyone wants to copy that for their own hack, they are free to do so. Now, it wouldn't make much sense to provide the hex values to change as I modified more than just the title logo graphics, but if anyone wants to look into it and work from that, you can download the hack here.

Grimlock

Your images aren't loading for some reason (maybe my browser?)

snarfblam

Didn't load in FireFox for me, but worked in IE

Mon732

Quote from: IaGeu on February 16, 2016, 01:36:41 AM
Anyway, see an image of the result here (linked as embedding doesn't seem to work):

That's a known issue with Imgur images on this forum, see here.
Props for adding the link. :P